What's new

Red Bubba/ Ahmar Bubba

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
they are looking nice! - yes hopefully they should start showing sex soon and you'll have some males to get rid of and more space for the rest. always a difficult time when you are limited in space, if they are ready for a repot then that should help them show sex a bit earlier ime.. and then (if you intending on another repot) then repot the females as soon as you know they are girls.
VG

Redrum92

The results are in! @VerdantGreen That was faster than expected.

Males:

Females:

Perfect 50/50 split and so close to being evens and odds. Wild. So, as suggested, going to take 3-4 clones of all 4 females, mostly because my success rates there aren't great. So, just hoping for the best, in terms of keeping any gems long term

The main goals here for me are 1) just enjoy this rare opportunity, no matter the ending 2) documenting/testing the plants well to return the favor of receiving these in the first place

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks, you're doing a great job so far and a decent amount of females which is great !
i hope you didn't run into too many space issues in the process ?
Looking at the plants, the girls look to cover a plant of all the different forms/phenos except maybe the very short NO 8 which many of us might have (wrongly) guessed was going to be female.

Flowering/sex response is quite quick which is encouraging ...

VG :tiphat:

Redrum92

Yeah, I'm very excited! Definitely a very good spread of variety in these 4. Perfect timing, my grow space was being overgrown! Now these 4 fems will have space to grow.

And yeah, quite quick! Was about 5 days of 12/12. Probably helped that they were already at 2 months of veg and in pots maybe a little on the small side.

Redrum92

Here are our 3 finalist females! ( 6, 5, 3)

3 is on the faster side, good hybrid vigor and shape. Can't tell if it leans towards the Ahmar or is actually a good blend of it with the Bubba. 5 and 6 are definitely coming up Bubba dominant: slower veg/rooting and slower side branching, darker fan leaf, thicker fan leaf, etc.

RB 1,5,6 wk10veg (2) - Copy.jpg

3 and 6 will still be getting one more up-pot before flowering. Because i had so many of these going in veg, i had to do my pot sizes a little wonky. Glad to have space/enough pots now. Had them at 12/12 for only 5 days to get preflowers/sex to show. Going to give them another week in limbo ~14/10 to get used to the new pots, and then back to 12/12.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
3 good looking plants! - nicely trained to bush out.
incidentally, There was quite a bit of difference in the rooting times of the Ahmar F1.
Red 5 took at least 2 weeks to root whereas Purp 4 took just one...
7, 8 and 9 also quite variable .
VG

420empire

Veteran
Really looking beautiful, you have green thumbs bro, and it is clearly the ladies thanks you, looks like your work will pay off ;)

May I ask why you place perlite on the top?. I just have the experience when working with that medium, it goes to your lungs and it start to scar them up.. Just thinking if you use direct vents on the ladies the particles can be pushed on the sticky surface of the colas. But maybe it´s f no problem if your perlite is constanly moist. Otherwise i have great experience with either plastic or claypellets over the pot.

*This is not meant as pointing fingers, just a talk bout grow experience :coffee:

cheers

Redrum92

Really looking beautiful, you have green thumbs bro, and it is clearly the ladies thanks you, looks like your work will pay off ;)

May I ask why you place perlite on the top?. I just have the experience when working with that medium, it goes to your lungs and it start to scar them up.. Just thinking if you use direct vents on the ladies the particles can be pushed on the sticky surface of the colas. But maybe it´s f no problem if your perlite is constanly moist. Otherwise i have great experience with either plastic or claypellets over the pot.

*This is not meant as pointing fingers, just a talk bout grow experience :coffee:

cheers

Absolutely! I appreciate the positive post.

I live somewhere that has very dry winters, and I grow in soil, so I needed some way to slow down the drying of the top of the soil. I had it around as a soil amendment, so just started using it on top of the soil too. It has many minor benefits for soil, actually (maybe some apply to hydro too?):

1) more even soil wetness/less dry-out on top
2) buffer against disease/mold/pests/bugs etc
3) prevents soil from being washed away
4) reflects some light

But you do bring up a good point: the dust is dangerous! As soon as I open up a bag of perlite, I either fully rinse it, or just spray it down with a water bottle, otherwise the dust gets everywhere. Definitely important to work with it when a little damp. Once it is laid down on top of the soil, I don't find it kicks up much dust being watered or just sitting there, but who knows. I have found that mixing in a little vermiculite (like 1/5 ratio at most) helps keep perlite moist slightly longer. I'm definitely still learning and am always on the lookout for as many tips and lessons as I can find. Thanks!

420empire

Veteran
Thanks for the positive reply. 👍🏼
Cool make sense. I was clumsy once, I just went straight to open the bag and pour it into a mixer without mask....🤣🤣 learned from it hehe. Is it working the same way diatomaceous earth??
Keep up the good work Holmes.

Redrum92

Red Bubba/Ahmar Bubba #6 and #5. Definitely strong Bubba blood. Almost 0 internodal space, even with lights up high, and very slow veg. These are coming out of preflowering through the awkward reveg stage without getting too weird. Not expereinced with reg seeds, so this has been a good learning experience for sexing and flowering them.

Im usually a fan of bud sites being directly exposed to light, but it seems it might be impossible with these unique ladies. I will probably give them another couple weeks to straighten out, hopefully get a little growth in, then flower.

RB#5,6 wk15v (2) - Copy.jpg
RB#5,6 wk15v - Copy.jpg

And the fun one, the flowering girl, RB#3. She's at exactly week 4/day 28. I will be kicking myself over my experimental soil mix for the rest of this run. I've been trying to adjust with some liquid nutes, but clearly, not exactly hitting bullseye there. Buds looking beautiful nontheless. Definitely speaks well to the genetics if they are looking this solid, this early, while under non-ideal circumstances. This one also giving me Bubba-dominant vibes. Rounded buds that are already surprisngly dense, and very low internode spacing, to the point where even when the branches are trained at a 45* angle, the buds are still mostly covered.
RB#3 day28f - Copy.jpg

Lower bud, still looking great, even with minimal direct light
RB#3 day28f - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Number 3 looks gorgeous despite the soil/nutrition problems! has that lovely silver bubba-like resin and looks like it will mature very fast - how does it smell ?

The other two look a little confused but seem to be coming out of that reveg stage so hopefully ready to bud up... i think the lack of internodal space is partly caused by that too.

VG :tiphat:

Redrum92

Definitely classic Bubba shape coming into the buds, and just the tight stacking nature of nodes, but also definitely a little something different about their looks compared to classic Bubba.

You cant really see in the pic, but there are the slightest bits of pink and purple highlights coming in. I suspect by the end of flower, it could have some nice streaks of color. I dont see it going full purple/pink, but it's still possible.
RB#3 day31f (1) - Copy.jpg
RB#3 day31f (4) - Copy.jpg

#5 and 6 will probably be flipped soon

P.S. Sorry, VG, totally missed your question in the last post. Smell is hard to describe. I bet if i have a few more weeks with it i can get a little more precise, but for now: i'd say mostly skunky, with maybe a slight hint of perfume.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
buds look great, they have the bubba shape like you say but then the Ahmar also looks quite like a sort of 'pumped up' bubba. The resin looks very 'bubba' to my eyes..
very promising...
VG