What's new

Question about hermaphroditic tendency

CharlesU Farley

Wow, you must really like Northern Lights, it does have nice form and a quality effect.
Yes I do and yes it does. :) Mike from PeakBC Seeds _really_ knows what he's doing although I haven't grown any of his stuff. Seen pics and know of his reputation, so I believe that seed was probably an anomaly.

1000010047.jpg

Do you think the seeds from this grow will produce hermi seeds?
No.

therevverend

Veteran
Do you think hermis are more common in todays hybrids in comparison to earlier generations of hybrids? Over the years I have seen some hermis but never like this last crop.

Will the seeds from this crop will be hermi?

Hermies are entirely genetic. A plant that had a hard time at germination shouldn't hermie unless it had a strong genetic pre-disposition. A light leak when you flip to 12/12 at flowering is much more likely to cause intersex problems then stress a young plant experiences. Young plants are extremely resilient.

I've found that stress can be an overrated cause; light leaks, extreme root-bound conditions, extreme temperatures, etc. will force plants to throw male flowers, but there will always be plants that won't. For long term breeding and cloning you want to select plants that are rock solid females. There's quite a bit that can be written on the subject.

I've found 'modern' strains I've grown over the last 15 years are almost hermie-free compared to the ones I grew in the 90s. There's a few reasons for this. The primary reasons being access to better seed stock and better breeding techniques. I used to have nasty hermies turn up nearly every crop. Now I might have a few nanners at harvest but I can't remember the last time I had a crop ruined by a true hermaphrodite.

Now that there's access to better genetics I don't have to fool around with bag seed and questionable seeds gifted from friends. Bag seed is usually caused by a hermaphrodite since the seeds likely came from an all female crop. Several generations of breeding from bag seed might result in high quality ganja but it also causes the plants to be strongly conditioned to switch sex.

This answers your 2nd question. I would almost certainly toss the seeds from these plants in the trash unless the line was exceptional an very rare. If you do plant them you need to expect them to both produce hermie offspring and be pre-disposed to switch sex at the slightest stress. Even so if you're very selective you should be able to find a few true females. I would hybridize these females with true males for a couple generations to select away from the intersex trait.

I'm going off topic a bit here because it doesn't apply to your situation. But I still find it interesting. Is what has been lost by winnowing out the hermaphrodites. SE Asian strains, especially Thai types, tend to be strong hermaphrodites. When I was growing in the 90s I had a couple of strains that were hybrids of Afghans crossed with Thai. They were notorious hermaphrodites. The strains are gone now, extinct, because most cultivators didn't want to deal with the problems they caused.

This is frustrating to me because these were some of the best strains ever. The Thai side added a wonderful sweet smell and strong psychedelic effects. I wonder about what has been lost, by the work has been done ruthlessly culling hermaphrodites. I certainly don't miss them but as a collector and preservationist I wish some of these unique strains had been saved.

mudballs

"Punnett Square for Two Characteristics
For example, with two genes each having two alleles, an individual has four alleles, and these four alleles can occur in 16 different combinations"

you got a 1 in 16 chance of finding a pheno that doesn't remember the hermi trait

mudballs

That's also why i tell everyone you don't need to run hundreds of plants to pheno hunt...to find a keeper, yes, requires numbers...but if you just wanna homebreed and hen peck a fav...about 25 plants is all you need to run to see what phenos you will see

CharlesU Farley

This links tomone of the most intelligent discussions of hermaphrodites and feminized cannabis that you will read in any cannabis forum. Nevil, Chimera and others will go into more detail than most here will be able to fully digest/understand, including me.

It's 14 years old and some of the terminology and technology will be a bit dated, but the basic scientific information, specific to cannabis, is still quite correct.

You'll see brilliant minds, discussing differing opinions about the feminization process and it's ultimate effect on cannabis, in a passionate and contentious yet thoughtful and respectful way.

So unlike modern cannabis fora today:

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
When you say bagseed, your suggesting the seeds are from an unknown source/strain?
Was it those seeds that produced hermis?
Yes Sir,
I know the country of origin but not the strain name or any other information from sources, got the seeds inside buds of smuggled marijuana, bad quality weed btw.
Originally there was 5 seeds, 1 not reliable, 2 males, 1 full hermie and 1 female.
They are planted in open fields with almost no attention, kind of wild in the nature.

therevverend

Veteran
Don't throw those seeds in the thrash, grow em out and get more experience..so you can answer with authority the next guy to ask "wth do i do with these plants"

Certainly. Out of all the great seeds out there, great breeders, growers who have excellent stuff and are willing to share. By all means grow hermaphrodite offspring of hermaphrodite bag seed. Because if there's one thing everybody loves it's seedy hermaphrodite flowers filled with seeds that will produce more seedy hermaphrodite flowers. (by the way; I was being sarcastic)

PoorDad

I think hermies are mostly genetic. I believe we can influence strains that have those hermie genetics. Stress of any kind can bring out recessive herm traits in otherwise "stable" plants. Not all stress and not every time. Each plant is an individual. But I do think that strains can appear to be stable and still turn if given the right stress at the right time and for long enough.

I'm just a guy in his basement. Not trying to act like a scientist. I've goofed up a crop or two. I've grown the bagseeds before, and while they didn't hermie, the results were 50/50. Some of it was good and some of it got me about as high as a Delta 8 joint ... meaning it was bunk weed. Total waste of time, money and energy. The bagseeds I got were from dispensary weed that was grown outdoors. No idea what the mother got pollinated with to produce those seeds. Probably industrial hemp or wild ditch weed. Now that I think about it, none of those hermied. I won't ever waste my time on bagseeds again. I know how to grow weed, so I don't need to learn by wasting my time on unknown seeds.

mudballs

Certainly. Out of all the great seeds out there, great breeders, growers who have excellent stuff and are willing to share. By all means grow hermaphrodite offspring of hermaphrodite bag seed. Because if there's one thing everybody loves it's seedy hermaphrodite flowers filled with seeds that will produce more seedy hermaphrodite flowers. (by the way; I was being sarcastic)
Sarcasm serves no purpose when trying to advance someone in growing

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
This links tomone of the most intelligent discussions of hermaphrodites and feminized cannabis that you will read in any cannabis forum. Nevil, Chimera and others will go into more detail than most here will be able to fully digest/understand, including me.

It's 14 years old and some of the terminology and technology will be a bit dated, but the basic scientific information, specific to cannabis, is still quite correct.

You'll see brilliant minds, discussing differing opinions about the feminization process and it's ultimate effect on cannabis, in a passionate and contentious yet thoughtful and respectful way.

So unlike modern cannabis fora today:

Yes, belligerent but intelligent.

Who chose to be a seed consumer, go ahead. Chucking pollen from Sensi or Ace seeds its easy, a child can do it. Skilled breeders already did the real job for you.
I know. Dutch Passion is amazing.
Get a handful of wild seeds from a small country and try to find what's in there it's not so easy. Patience and genetics knowledgement is necessary.
Studies about the country, geography, politics, migration flows, it's all part of the trip.

It all starts from an unknown seed.

CharlesU Farley

I _so_ appreciate and understand your sarcasm. But if you go on the _ass_umption that the singular/rare seed and a bag of buds is a hermie, then Cinderella 99 and Chemdog if I remember correctly certainly go against the grain of hermies being used in breeding. (I can't use that blinking emoticon that comes up when I do the search for the word "thinking" , but that's the emotion I'm trying to express so hamfistedly here :) )

And from what I've been reading about _one_° side of the massive Haze Origin Story debate, there may be some hermies in the wood pile there as well. :eek:

Last edited:

mudballs

I found a study once about true preservation and the requirement to include any hermaphrodites...i believe around 500 plants it was as a true preservation run and must include any hermaphrodites to genuinely retain genetic diversity.

CharlesU Farley

Yes, belligerent but intelligent.

In another thread, not unsurprisingly about bipolar issues, I made an analogy about Owsley, Neville, and Hunter S Thompson being assholes but they were brilliant.

Several of the participants in that thread (clarification, the Mr Nice thread, not the bipo thread here on ICM) obviously were both, and I learned / am learning so much more the deeper I dive into the history. I don't give a shit who did what who claims what, etc. I just want to know _why_ they combined _what_ they did, what characteristics they were looking for, what technology they used, etc.

That's the value of diving into the history of all of this.
It all starts from an unknown seed.
As Shantibaba of Mr Nice says, so frequently... "Plant the seed"

That guy's like a beaming, white light of pureness in a total cess pool / Den of Eniquity of backbiting, gossip mongering, and King of Cannabis marketing bullshit.

He is the _only_ individual (currently alive) I'm aware of in the cannabis industry where I can almost truthfully say, I wish _I_ were like him.(y)

Last edited:

cbotany

I think of every plant as an individual and hermi genetics can be quite fun to play with! I have a couple males with female calyx that i'm hoping to get seed off of, If you like your current genetics, I don't think saving and popping the seeds would be the worst of ideas, and breeding to a stable genetic and selecting you can reduce some of the tendencies, some of the best strains on the market now have their origin in situations just like yours! GG#4, Bubba, Og, and numerous bag seeds grown and loved by the market! The intersex hate is pretty intense, but miracles happen when a little love and mistakes mix :)

cbotany

Always remember bud, each of us are looking for different things when it comes to these plants I'm gonna let you in on a secret, the reason auto ak is used by mass breeders in europe is if you push it past flower you can get it to hermi pretty easily making fem seeds that most breeder will never see a hermi from due to harvest windows , Brazilian/thai/landraces from equatorial zones hermi with wrong nutrients/ stress (but also making some of the best bud known) I'm no expert, and I don't clame to be, but the lady boy hate has to stop! Breed for your self and have fun! If you don't take chances and listen to "experts" nothing new is created, I grew out a plant from a friend that was made from a hermi african thcv to critical skunk, and she was amazing and not a nanner on her, but she also was in a humid greenhouse, and natrual light with high humidity. Just wanted to add some more info on why my stance is what it is :)

mudballs

I _so_ appreciate and understand your sarcasm. But if you go on the _ass_umption that the singular/rare seed and a bag of buds is a hermie, then Cinderella 99 and Chemdog if I remember correctly certainly go against the grain of hermies being used in breeding. (I can't use that blinking emoticon that comes up when I do the search for the word "thinking" , but that's the emotion I'm trying to express so hamfistedly here :) )

And from what I've been reading about _one_° side of the massive Haze Origin Story debate, there may be some hermies in the wood pile there as well. :eek:
Don't you start that fkn haze shit charley :p

Timj

I've been breeding for fun and to share regular photo periods, feminized photo periods and feminized auto flowers. I've shared 1000's of seeds with folks all over the USA and have not heard of a single hermaphrodite yet. I'm not a long time pollen chucker when it comes to feminized seed making, around 10 year. 30 + years with regular photo-periods. But, I believe that hermaphrodite traits are genetic and under the right conditions they will surface. I've had a really nice hash plant that hermed on me three years in a row. It was grown outdoors and was never stressed. I tossed the rest of those seeds in the campfire. No need in my eyes to keep those genetics around.