What's new

Nomaad OD:2010

Y

Yankee Grower

The roots get up to the top of the pot, you have to water less, the patch is brighter, it keeps the dust down. I would not mulch with alfalfa unless you want to grow that in your pots. Clover will work as well or better than straw as a mulch
Before you lay down any mulch at the least sprinkle something like Fox Farm Peace of Mind 5-5-5 on the soil surface or something high N like a touch of blood meal otherwise your mulching may be a bit counterproductive. If you're worrying about something like alfalfa sprouting throw down some corn gluten meal first to stop seeds from sprouting but seems it may not work like some say it will...
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/story.php?S_No=956&storyType=garde

nomaad

Veteran
not too mention it traps a bit of heat, keeping the root zone happier (I live in a more mild climate zone)
...and IF, IF...you use some GOOD alfalfa, it can kinda break down over the season and add a bit of N to the ground...."till" it right under for next year...

dank.Frank

i till in alfalfa meal... not just for N, but triacontinol. and no chance of it seeding your pots.

Hey Gents,

I have a few ladies that have been flowering for about 3-5 weeks outdoors. i planned to use the light schedule until about now and then light dep. At this point my light dep isnt finished so i will have to transport manually indoors into a dark place.

So question is if these plants are half way through flowering, will they continue to finish there course until mid-June.

Butte says he runs his lights until the third week in June based on where he is(which is perhaps close to where i live).

So although we can place 'some' strains outdoors now to veg without inducing flowering, can we also leave already flowering plants out for a few weeks longer to finish without complications or results compromised?

try comb

they will start revegging if they haven't already. unless its autoflowering genetics.....transport manually to a dark place for 12 hours.

try comb

would sure be nice if it warmed up. the night temps here are cold still. really wish i woulda turned the heater on in the hoop last nite....pretty droopy today after low 30s ....

hows it goin on your end N?

nomaad

Veteran
I would pull tarp on em. How long does it take to make a PVC hoop house?

Comb...we had hail and sleet all day today. woke up to a heavy frost this morning. everything was juuuust coming out of its funk... now they are looking real sad again. looks like the 2 week outlook is warming up.

Last year it was in the 80s and 90s at this date, but then an early June coldsnap came in and shocked my plants... maybe THIS is that early June cold snap coming in late may and we're early for the summer to arrive and not late... Doesn't matter, really... point is... it is what it is. It will be nice when it gets hot and dry.

UnknownProphet

???do?Pu?ou?uU
Veteran
^^It is the only way you can be in order to not stress off the things that aren't needed to stress over. nomaad has a great head and heart and he gives both to his plants. I am still rooting more than ever for you buddy. The weather is something we don't control, but the effort and love given the the scared herb are things only you as a grower can give, and nomaad gives plenty.

Y

Yankee Grower

I played with some organic low temp dried alfalfa juice powder and killer stuff in veg teas. Think I still have a vacuum sealed foil pack hanging around some place. I get the stuff for free and always thought it would be cool to till in a bunch early in the season and let it cook for a bit. Worms go crazy over this stuff.

nomaad

Veteran
I appreciate the support, fellas. I'm not worried. Last year, my plants were in terrible shape and in the ground on May 27th. This year, they are in great shape, handpicked strains and huge... whenever they go in, they will kill last year's. I started pulling tarp on my Black Boxes on June 19th... If I get the beds filled by June 5th I will still have 2 weeks of veg before slipping off last year's schedule... which worked just fine. I was also heavily in debt at this time last year, so I was in a rush for black boxes to come down. This year, I don't have the same worries.

Prophet: nice to see you. hope things are getting better.

Last edited:

hogan400

we had some serious hail up here and higher elev snow! damn.....

planty, 2 tons of straw. thats funny. i thought i was gonna get off easy. i know im not nearly close the size of your spot or containers, sure wasnt prepared to hear that. painful.

nomaad, i plan to get the new light style crackin in july after i get comfortable with this outside spot. worse case after this seasons end, unless something else comes available....im still trying to wrap my head around 2 tons of straw. im pretty sure were plantin just prior to the 1st. makes sense given our schedule/my space indoors. i may throw in constr lights and balance our light difference some just in case. i like those ideas in the big plant thread quite a bit. im gonna reread it, your last yrs thread over tonight along with planty, rootwise, and fisher15. there is some knowledge in here and figure i better get shit right before i start askin questions that will take up quality time. wish we had the same support and friends up here. thats what i miss most about being down south.

thanks, late

P

planty

1 ton of straw is only 16 bales so don't feel too bad. I'm also covering a half acre.

Y

Yankee Grower

the straw man.
Dude...on my friends farms we laid bale after bale. Not trying to one-up Planty on this one but hay is great stuff. We had hay everywhere...then there were the angled Panda film walls for added reflection...was like walking into an oven when you went into the grow area. The heat for sure increased a bit but the light intensity was a bit overwhelming :)

P

planty

Yankee Grower I know the persons farm you're talking about once you said the angled panda film walls...Smoked a couple doobs with ~GT~ last month actually...Where is that NL5/Haze at...Would Yankee Grower also happen to have once had a handle called Mountain?

Latest posts

Latest posts