What's new

Neptune's Harvest?

mad librettist

Veteran
I don't know man. I'm in your shoes. Using my last bottle, not sure what to do next. If I knew the answer I'd have dispensed with all that careful thinking to make my point so nobody laughs at me.

I bet you there are tilapia farms looking for a place to put their trash. Ye market gods, hear me!

grapeman

Veteran
I don't know man. I'm in your shoes. Using my last bottle, not sure what to do next. If I knew the answer I'd have dispensed with all that careful thinking to make my point so nobody laughs at me.

I bet you there are tilapia farms looking for a place to put their trash. Ye market gods, hear me!

don't use it. Go to confession and send me what's left in your bottles. I'll use it for you.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Should I raise goldfish and make my own to feel more environmentally responsible?.....
That may not be necessary as things have turned out.

There is a company out of Baja Mexico which is making their fish hydrolysate out of grunion - a sardine-like fish that comes onto shore to spawn ("I wouldn't drink water - fish f*ck in it!" - W. C. Fields)

Grunion Ganja Grog?

Or perhaps getting some 1,000 gallon cisterns and go into raising guppies. They're cute little fish and grind up rather nicely! Even easier to puree in a blender or using one of those kitchen boat-motor devices. A couple of months in an EM-1 solution and Viola! You've dun gotz liquid fish.

I'd probably stay away from the koi deal - it could get pretty expensive indeed with some of the prize koi going for several thousands of dollars.

HTH

CC

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
Im going to red lobster... nom nom nom nom...:D

I used the 2-4-1 for a bit.. I i liked it, it did not attract gnats, or flies.. i used it when i didnt have big bloom... :D i will actually get some more soon and try the other two they have.. Ill let you know.. peace n pufs.

sackO

mad librettist

Veteran
That may not be necessary as things have turned out.

There is a company out of Baja Mexico which is making their fish hydrolysate out of grunion - a sardine-like fish that comes onto shore to spawn ("I wouldn't drink water - fish f*ck in it!" - W. C. Fields)

Grunion Ganja Grog?

Or perhaps getting some 1,000 gallon cisterns and go into raising guppies. They're cute little fish and grind up rather nicely! Even easier to puree in a blender or using one of those kitchen boat-motor devices. A couple of months in an EM-1 solution and Viola! You've dun gotz liquid fish.

I'd probably stay away from the koi deal - it could get pretty expensive indeed with some of the prize koi going for several thousands of dollars.

HTH

CC

using grunion would be a big step up if not overdone. Eating more anchovy and other small schooling fish is also the only conceivable sustainable catch, and even so - not at projected human population and consumption levels.

I like the guppies idea. Or some crazy filter feeding or algae eater, fed with agricultural runoff. Or just bring back the bassomatic '76.

lobster - I heard a theory that the lobster industry is no longer reducing lobster stocks, but is now shrinking the size of lobsters. How? The cages are not escape proof even for large specimens - they have to be in there when it gets pulled. The juveniles, though, have a place to feed while the cage protects them, and when the pot gets puled up, they fall through the mesh.

so lots of small lobsters is the result.

619Sativa

I don't know how this thread turned into a moral debate, but I have used Neptunes as an extra amendment and also as a foliar spray, and was pretty happy with the results. I like the guano tea recipe a little better, but adding neptunes definetely doesn't hurt. I don't think I would use it as a stand alone fert, it might work, never tried it, but give it a shot.
I don't understand all the negative comments regarding the commercial fishing industry? They're trying to make a living just like anyone else. Overfishing??? The earth is like 70% water, and you're worried about there not being enough fish? These companies bring a service that people want, need, and desire, and they're the bad guys? Atleast they aren't wasting fish, what's not edible, they make into a fertilizer, what's wrong with that? I'm just tired of hearing all these people that think they are somehow morally superior because they are "natural" or "organic". Unless you live in a cave, and survive off the land, you have no room to talk. We all get our food, clothes, homes, cars, tvs, computers, and what have you from commercial industries, so why not bitch about all that stuff? The fact is, we need these industries just as much as they need us. Our planet has been through a buttload of crap and flourished, yet somehow us evil humans are destroying it. I don't think people should dictate how things are run because there is a "moral obligation" to our planet. Let people do what they want, and if you don't like it then all well. What gives you the high ground to say that crtain industries are "bad"? They are obviously benefiting a lot of people, yet they need to be shut down because there's not enough fishies in the ocean. Just like how the government shut off the water to central cali because of some gay ass delta smelt. Are you serious? I guess a fishes life is more important than our own.
sorry for the ramble, but I couldn't help but notice the question of the thread was never really answered, rather a lecture of how horrible the commercial fishing industry is. So yes, neptunes is a good product, maybe not the best stand alone fert, but worth the money. I also use it in my veggie garden, and the plants seem to love it. Just make sure to follow the directions on the bottle and be sure to not over apply.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
619Sativa

I take it that the recent 'Earth Day' celebrations didn't mean all that much to you.

I too am concerned about 'gay ass delta smelt' - not to much breeding going on in their gay community either. Perhaps adoption is still the best course for LBGT couples - fish or otherwise.

And it's not just fish - it's been said that this is a 'dog-eat-dog world' and we're all wearing Milk Bone underwear.

Just a thought or two.

CC

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fresh water fish farms is the way of the future. Even salmon can be grown in fresh water ponds/tanks. This has been proven by a scientist in BC. Farmed fish in sea pens and seiner/trawlers are destroying the world. Several years ago I returned to one of my youthfull haunts where I used to catch enough ground fish to eat for two weeks in 30 minutes. I took my father salmon fishing there and got a boat owner to take us out. I said 'well if we don't catch any salmon at least we can catch a few cod.' The boat owner laughed and said 'There are no groundfish left. Since the seiners came through with their nets set low several years ago it's been like a graveyard.'

We are a greedy and spoiled species and the only one to shit in their own food.

If one is so inclined cannabis can be grown just fine using only (vermi)compost but there are also plant based amendments and rock minerals available. [for free if you make and gather them yourself]

If I buy a farm in the northwest how many will volunteer to join me in establishing a model working farm producing farmed fish and (vegetable) ground crops in a sustainable fashion? PM or email me.

mad librettist

Veteran
I don't know how this thread turned into a moral debate, but I have used Neptunes as an extra amendment and also as a foliar spray, and was pretty happy with the results. I like the guano tea recipe a little better, but adding neptunes definetely doesn't hurt. I don't think I would use it as a stand alone fert, it might work, never tried it, but give it a shot.
I don't understand all the negative comments regarding the commercial fishing industry? They're trying to make a living just like anyone else. Overfishing??? The earth is like 70% water, and you're worried about there not being enough fish? These companies bring a service that people want, need, and desire, and they're the bad guys? Atleast they aren't wasting fish, what's not edible, they make into a fertilizer, what's wrong with that? I'm just tired of hearing all these people that think they are somehow morally superior because they are "natural" or "organic". Unless you live in a cave, and survive off the land, you have no room to talk. We all get our food, clothes, homes, cars, tvs, computers, and what have you from commercial industries, so why not bitch about all that stuff? The fact is, we need these industries just as much as they need us. Our planet has been through a buttload of crap and flourished, yet somehow us evil humans are destroying it. I don't think people should dictate how things are run because there is a "moral obligation" to our planet. Let people do what they want, and if you don't like it then all well. What gives you the high ground to say that crtain industries are "bad"? They are obviously benefiting a lot of people, yet they need to be shut down because there's not enough fishies in the ocean. Just like how the government shut off the water to central cali because of some gay ass delta smelt. Are you serious? I guess a fishes life is more important than our own.
sorry for the ramble, but I couldn't help but notice the question of the thread was never really answered, rather a lecture of how horrible the commercial fishing industry is. So yes, neptunes is a good product, maybe not the best stand alone fert, but worth the money. I also use it in my veggie garden, and the plants seem to love it. Just make sure to follow the directions on the bottle and be sure to not over apply.

I understand where you are coming from. But you are just dead wrong, starting with your impression of ocean ecology.

Most of the ocean is desert. Absolute, pretty damn lifeless desert. Know why tropical waters are crystal clear? No biomass! Know what the waters off breezy point in new york city look like around february 15? They almost look like tropical waters, only colder and more agitated.

Coastal areas and other rock formations that connect the deep ocean to the surface are like oases, because nutrients flow up from the deep and in the case of coastal areas, they also flow down from the land.

Except in our coastal areas, so much is flowing down, that it is actually putting pressure on the fish stocks (witnesses have described seeing blue crabs bob up and down nonstop. the reason? there is so little oxygen in the water due to overnutrification that they have to breathe at the surface).

Did I make a moral argument? I believe I made a scientific one. The moral one was in your head. You were right, too. The moral thing to do is not take fish from the ocean, or at least reduce it and try to patronize responsible producers.

In case you missed it, I called for a buyout of the fishing fleet, because it's cheaper for the taxpayers then the collapse we will experience. I care about most of those guys, but would like to fuck the mega operations hard, and use their losses to pay off the real fishermen. We can finance alot of this with a national gamefish status for striped bass and weakfish. Throw in a federal recreational fishing license, and we slowly transition to the much more profitable recreational market.

Please, read some of the science I posted. Then make up your mind. Knee-jerk reactions that favor the status quo - people getting free fish and selling it back to the american people while taxpayers are on the hook for fixing the damage (com licenses don't cover it. dream on.) - are not going to repair our oceans.

wanna raise clams? good luck with the cow nosed rays. Hey, want to know why there are suddenly so many rays? Gee, the sharks used to eat them. What happened? "Pest control". "Shark fin soup".

619Sativa

619Sativa

I take it that the recent 'Earth Day' celebrations didn't mean all that much to you.

I too am concerned about 'gay ass delta smelt' - not to much breeding going on in their gay community either. Perhaps adoption is still the best course for LBGT couples - fish or otherwise.

And it's not just fish - it's been said that this is a 'dog-eat-dog world' and we're all wearing Milk Bone underwear.

Just a thought or two.

CC
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being self sustainable, but there is a difference in doing it on your own accord, and having people(or government) tell or force us to. I am proud to be an organic grower, but I don't tell other people how they should live. I think it is cheaper and more practical to do things naturally, but if someone wants to buy a hummer, or catch fish for a profit, or what have you, then by all means, let them.

mad librettist

Veteran
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being self sustainable, but there is a difference in doing it on your own accord, and having people(or government) tell or force us to.

Right, I don't want the government forcing me to give up my share of the fish I OWN. As a dual citizen, I own a hell of a lot of fish. In the US, that is in the constitution. Not sure about the Canadian charter. So call me an originalist. When Scalia, Thomas, Roberts, and Alito declare we have no right to impede on fishermen, they will say they are originalists too, because that means "whatever business wants". Make up your own mind.

You don't get it. The fish do not belong to the commercial fishermen. They belong to the people. We either get a good deal, or we don't. I want better than a good deal, and right now i am getting screwed. You too!

619Sativa

In case you missed it, I called for a buyout of the fishing fleet, because it's cheaper for the taxpayers then the collapse we will experience. I care about most of those guys, but would like to fuck the mega operations hard, and use their losses to pay off the real fishermen. We can finance alot of this with a national gamefish status for striped bass and weakfish. Throw in a federal recreational fishing license, and we slowly transition to the much more profitable recreational market.

Please, read some of the science I posted. Then make up your mind. Knee-jerk reactions that favor the status quo - people getting free fish and selling it back to the american people while taxpayers are on the hook for fixing the damage (com licenses don't cover it. dream on.) - are not going to repair our oceans.
quote]
Are you talking about nationalizing the fishing industry? and because a fishing company became industrial sized, you want to take them out? Isn't it the goal of everybody to be as successful as possible? So because they worked to become successful, which every fisherman would wish for, we should penalize them? when did it become a crime to be successful? I don't understand your logic. It may seem nice to have local companies providing for their areas, but in most areas, it just isn't practical or possible. Wether you like it or not, we need those bigger companies. I must be the status quo your talking about because I don't see things your way, right? are you saying they didn't have to buy the equipment, fuel, what have you to catch the fish? They just got it for free? I was always taught that we should strive to make profits, but I guess I was wrong. I guess all those people that own or work those industries only care about themselves, right? They should just give fish away for free. Your talking about taking away the jobs of countless individuals, because "what they are doing is wrong", so yeah, that is why I believe that it is a moral issue.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Well this is how this forum goes,things get debated and threads get off topic,but around here it's pretty much a part of the trip.
I have only used the Neptune's Harvest seaweed extract as a foliar,I get a different fish hydrolysate product fairly locally. The directions on the bottle are different than the ones the OP posted.

As far as driving Hummers and growing organic goes......I don't know what to say about that.

I like MM's idea of the sustainable farm/community. Unfortunately my youth is spent and I have kids,so volunteering is out of the question for me. I have seen and visited several versions of sustainable farm/communities. Some work well,others just sit around and smoke out all day talking about the things they are going to do but never do. It's a good idea that requires dedication and a lot of hard work to get to the point where the work load becomes balanced and things get set on auto-pilot/preventative maintenance. Things like that need managers.
It's not out of the question for the global community to get the picture.

Grunions......My parents used to go out to the beaches down in L.A. and do that thing. Some kind of trend back then,do people still do that CC?

Guppies,goldfish,tilapia.....How would the nutritional content be compared to the ocean going fishie-poos? This isn't out of the question either. It would be easy to raise a 2000 gallon tank full of guppies and make your own.

I'm going to keep using this product until I find something better.

mad librettist

Veteran
They don't work to become successful, they lobby and corrupt. Then, they abuse the rules and the lack of fed protection. They know how to get around the rules - because they write them! Last year, stocks of stripes bass were so low that nobody made quota. They actually tried to get the remainder tacked on to this year. WTF? The answer to less fish is more fishing? Why not? They are worth more when scarce.

A buyout is when you pay full value for the business and retire it. It's not nationalization, it's a buyout. Not everyone who believes in rules is a communist, you know.

The gamefish status is just like a hunting license for fish. It helps fund the buyout and the management.

Please, read a bit about what it takes to make this industry profitable. Government intervention, and an illegal catch above the quotas (not counted in management plans, despite the well known facts). Without the illegal surplus, recreational fishing is more profitable and employs more people than commercial fishing.

Why do I hate the large operations? And the processers? They are the ones who push the rules through that allow them to make a profit at your expense.

Please just read a bit. If I want mindless pro business drivel I can hit fox news. I may be a very reformed objectivist, but I still believe in a free market. I just also believe in rules that prevent thievery. Your questioning of my politics, btw, is a cheap red herring. Irrelevant.

619Sativa

Right, I don't want the government forcing me to give up my share of the fish I OWN. As a dual citizen, I own a hell of a lot of fish. In the US, that is in the constitution. Not sure about the Canadian charter. So call me an originalist. When Scalia, Thomas, Roberts, and Alito declare we have no right to impede on fishermen, they will say they are originalists too, because that means "whatever business wants". Make up your own mind.

You don't get it. The fish do not belong to the commercial fishermen. They belong to the people. We either get a good deal, or we don't. I want better than a good deal, and right now i am getting screwed. You too!
Nobody is stopping you from catching your own fish, are they? These companies spend alot of money on equipment, fuel, workers, to catch the fish, so who's to say its not theres? If I spent all that time and effort on something, I would want to be able to claim it, use it, or sell it for as much as I wanted too. And with your logic, I should be able to claim any natural resource as my own when somebody else went through the effort to get it and spent the money they did, right? I don't understand your logic.

619Sativa

They don't work to become successful, they lobby and corrupt. Then, they abuse the rules and the lack of fed protection

A buyout is when you pay full value for the business and retire it.

The gamefish status is just like a hunting license for fish. It helps fund the buyout and the management.

Please, read a bit about what it takes to make this industry profitable. Government intervention, and an illegal catch above the quotas (not counted in management plans, despite the well known facts). Without the illegal surplus, recreational fishing is more profitable and employs more people than commercial fishing.

Why do I hate the large operations? And the processers? They are the ones who push the rules through that allow them to make a profit at your expense.

Please just read a bit. If I want mindless pro business drivel I can hit fox news. I may be. Reformed objectivist, but I still believe in a free market. I just also believe in rules that prevent thievery.
It's the corporations, the man, there always keeping us down, man. They don't work, they just steal money from the poor, to line their greedy pockets. Come on. Why is it that people always blame the rich and successful for their own misfortunes? I clicked on this thread to comment/learn more about Neptunes, and all I see is talk of how horrible the corporations are. You obviously have a problem with how these corporations operate, that's fine, but what was even the point of bringing any of that up? How did that have anything to do with the question proposed? Like I said, some people do things by choice, while others try to make others do what they want them to do. And I like your free market method; when a company becomes too successful, we need to take them out. That's definetely how capitalism works.

mad librettist

Veteran
Do you have any evidence to counter what I have offered, this seems like emotional garbage. I happen to think a corporation that plays by the rules, rather than writing them, is a good thing. Making an honest living is a good thing. But as I've stated this is not the case with commercial fishing, and your attempt to portray me as anti-business is really just crass avoidance.

Now please, rebut or shut up.

I'm not the trash man.

You could look into: catch/bycatch statistics, management plans on the federal level, state level plans, profitability, public statements by fishing corporations, ecological data and consensus, or any number of other things actually relevant to this conversations, besides your emotions regarding some other people who said some other things that maybe to you sound sort of like what I am saying.

Just because only one conclusion is possible for you, does not make it so for me. This is about real facts, and real life, not facile political theory that can only be compared to fast food: bad for you, but cheap, easy, and greasy.

619Sativa

Do you have any evidence to counter what I have offered, this seems like emotional garbage. I happen to think a corporation that plays by the rules, rather than writing them, is a good thing. But as I've stated this is not the case with commercial fishing. Now please, rebut or shut up.

I'm not the trash man.
Oh, I'm sorry Mr. High and Mighty, don't get your panties in a wad. I'll admit that I don't know much about commercial fishing, it doesn't interest me in the least bit, I have better things to educate myself on than how horrible those people are. But I do know that this is a cannabis forum, and this thread was meant for answering questions about the applications of Neptunes, while you are more concerned with how the commercial fishing industry operates. Like anybody gives a damn. I come hear to learn about cannabis, not listen to some whiny little girl complain about some stupid fish. So if you could stay on topic, or maybe create your own thread on the subject, rather than spreading the light on our ignorant, immoral souls, you might not have to argue so much. I'm sorry this thread got so off topic.

Latest posts

Latest posts