What's new

Malawi, anyone grow it?

FeelHaze

I have the fem version of Ace Malawi flowering in my tent right now. Day 60 in the flowering stage. Buds have a loose structure but are really covered in trichomes. Pistils are still 90% white so we have a lot of time to go. I'm just a bit worry since the plant seems to have a nute lockout/PH issue.

Here she is.

1000005975.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have the fem version of Ace Malawi flowering in my tent right now. Day 60 in the flowering stage. Buds have a loose structure but are really covered in trichomes. Pistils are still 90% white so we have a lot of time to go. I'm just a bit worry since the plant seems to have a nute lockout/PH issue.

Here she is.

View attachment 18996518
Damn friend she looks amazing.

BumSplodgeBrownPants

I've a couple of Malawi Gold coming up to 7 weeks since 1st pistils. They are the AfroPips knockoffs, got them maybe 5 years ago from Angus at RSC?

They're in 1L pots of coir under the 315CMH. 11on and 13 off.

Smell of orangey stuff with maybe a carrot thrown in. The male was allowed to hit the 1st pistils, so I've a dozen beans on each plant up the main stalk. I may harvest those soon before they drop them on the floor.

Any advice/comments always welcome, cheers guys n gals!

DSCF1363.JPG
DSCF1364.JPG
DSCF1368.JPG
DSCF1366.JPG

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I've a couple of Malawi Gold coming up to 7 weeks since 1st pistils. They are the AfroPips knockoffs, got them maybe 5 years ago from Angus at RSC?

They're in 1L pots of coir under the 315CMH. 11on and 13 off.

Smell of orangey stuff with maybe a carrot thrown in. The male was allowed to hit the 1st pistils, so I've a dozen beans on each plant up the main stalk. I may harvest those soon before they drop them on the floor.

Any advice/comments always welcome, cheers guys n gals!

View attachment 19009756 View attachment 19009757 View attachment 19009758 View attachment 19009759

looks great.¨¨

and looks fatter than I would expect... good job!

BumSplodgeBrownPants

looks great.¨¨

and looks fatter than I would expect... good job!

Thanks @MAHA KALA .

I've never got to run them before now, I gifted half the pack to an online friend who has since vanished ( and I hope he's ok) , so I was left with 6 beans, 3 came up on this run, I've had 2 duds in the past and 1 is still in the little vial. I think these were the 1st release of them from RSC.

I let the male at these 2 so there are beans along the stem on the early pistils, if I want to grow it out again.
I also let the male at a Purple Pakistani Haze too and have a couple of dozen beans off a lower bud. That plant seems to be finishing fast at 8 weeks, but she's having another week to be sure. But that's a story for another thread!

Cheers dude! Have a good day. :dance013:

EDIT - just went to grab a pic and there's a teeny tiny nanner on 1 of the buds... Let's play spot the nanner! (hint, it's right at the top. just pulled it with tweezers and raised the light another 6 inches.)

DSCF1417.JPG

Last edited:

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
Looks like a very nice phenotype of the var. It should be a very tasty smoke.
I've got a Malawi gold hybrid called malonica which is at F3, It's a Original 90's African seeds Malawi gold x F1 Chronic from Serious seeds. I've got the flowering down a little to 10 to 12 weeks, naturally it grows like a Christmas tree and has a mixed aroma with lemon and a typical pine/sandalwood tang to it. Great scrog plant and like an early topping.
I stopped using seedbay/real gorilla seeds as they sold next to nothing over 2 years. They said they sold 2 packs in that time so got them to send me my stock back and send me the pissy £25 they owe me which never happened. Not really bothered as i made over £2000 on etsy until they suspended me, which i'm battling at the moment.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
that fruity rotten funk is exactly what I dont like on it... hehhehe.. especially when it is mixed with the smell of expired kitchen oil... it tastes like fruity socks LOL

on the other hand honey sandalwood carrots pheno is okay in taste.

but what I like the most on it is that high... that trance... good for autohypnosis imo... LOL great sativa genetics.

FeelHaze

that fruity rotten funk is exactly what I dont like on it... hehhehe.. especially when it is mixed with the smell of expired kitchen oil... it tastes like fruity socks LOL

on the other hand honey sandalwood carrots pheno is okay in taste.

but what I like the most on it is that high... that trance... good for autohypnosis imo... LOL great sativa genetics.

@MAHA KALA

Mine doesn't smell fruity at all but 100% have that woodsy/oily aroma with that rotten funk background you talk about 😅

What do you mean by "trance" effects ? I have no experience with psychedelics but some weed strains that gave me some visual/time/auditory distortions in the past (cartoon like vision, people heads looking inflated like baloons, time slowed down, intense connection with music etc.). No modern hybrids cannot give me those effects unfortunately.

I would be curious to have the opinion of a "trip weed breeder".

Lebanizer

I did try TRSC Malawi Gold (MG) last winter along with some Kerala. I got two of both : one male and one female for Kerala and one female and one ladyboy for MG but I don't care. Eventually both females got heavily seeded by all the pollen that floated about. The MG was very clearly not a pure landrace but has been selected and adapted to indoor growing, you can totally tell, and Angus lists it on his site as a heirloom variety not landrace and even Afropips original description does mention that some selection happened. It was long flowering but I don't recall exactly how long but 12 to 14h I think.The in bloom aroma was all flowery but dried and vaped I do'nt recall the smell very well.

What I do recall though is the high ! The Kerala that I grew it with had a flat high while the MG was FAN-TAS-TIC ! Kind of edgy and very energizing, reminiscent of the first alert of acid when it starts coming on. No visual distortion, more of an altered energetic apprehension that something intense is about to happen. No paranoia but I wanna say electric but in an LSD kind of way. Very very pleasant. It was so energetic I had to get out and run errands, I couldn't sit still. Duration wise, we're talking one strong hour, sudden drop at 1h mark then smooth and slow decline over the next hour. Completely down by the second hour but clean and relaxed. I was a bit disappointed by the modest duration but the quality of the high made for it. Also, no munchies (❤️❤️❤️) ! The buds ended up being so heavily seeded that all I vaped was empty calyxes but they were super resinous as you can see below. I can't imagine what the sensi stuff would feel like. I hope I'll get to try it one day. MG is a high quality energizing HIGH (as a kite) and I encourage everyone to at least try it once. I expect you'll like it.

Some pics:

View media item 18718531
View media item 18718529
View media item 18718528
View media item 18718530
I'm excited to try the seeds I made, even if there's a bit of hermie in them. It was that good !

Last edited:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
"all trances (which include sleep and watching television) as taking place on a dissociated trance plane where at least some cognitive functions such as volition are disabled; as is seen in what is typically termed a 'hypnotic trance'. With this definition, meditation, hypnosis, addictions and charisma are seen as being trance states."

"Trance conditions include all the different states of mind, emotions, moods, and daydreams that human beings experience. All activities which engage a human involve the filtering of information coming into sense modalities, and this influences brain functioning and consciousness. Therefore, trance may be understood as a way for the mind to change the way it filters information in order to provide more efficient use of the mind's resources.

Trance states may also be accessed or induced by various modalities and are considered by some people to be a way of accessing the unconscious mind for the purposes of relaxation, healing, intuition, and inspiration. There is an extensive documented history of trance as evidenced by the case-studies of anthropologists and ethnologists and associated and derivative disciplines. Principles of trance are being explored and documented as are methods of trance induction. Mind functioning during trance and benefits of trance states are being explored by medical and scientific inquiry. Many traditions and rituals employ trance. Trance also has a function in religion and mystical experience."

"Trance-like states are often interpreted as religious ecstasy or visions and can be deliberately induced using a variety of techniques, including prayer, religious rituals, meditation, pranayama (breathwork or breathing exercises), physical exercise, sexual intercourse, music, dancing, sweating (e.g. sweat lodge), fasting, thirsting, and the consumption of psychotropic drugs such as cannabis."

so yeah access to unconscious mind, at good trance the whole system EGO/ID should be disabled :D

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Duration wise, we're talking one strong hour, sudden drop at 1h mark then smooth and slow decline over the next hour. Completely down by the second hour but clean and relaxed. I was a bit disappointed by the modest duration but the quality of the high made for it. Also, no munchies (❤️❤️❤️) !

this... they say the effect is subjective... they mean like everybody can experience it differently. bullshit. this your description shows its bullshit, as I had exactly same experience with malawi gold as you... description fits on my experience completely...

it needs selection. there are phenos with long lasting effect. these are not so strong like those short lasting effect though.

to solve it I would cross this short lasting malawi to some long lasting sativa. oh wait! some did it already hahahaha ace crossed it with old timer haze or crazyX crossed it with original haze. thats the way imo.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
short lasting effect phenos are also more heavy or stony... it is not stony like indica no... but it is stony. this quote from Derrayld, guy from 90s african seeds company:

Derrayld said:
Malawi -
Most Malawi is still to this day found in cobs which is the malawi heads wrapped in a Mealie leaf and cured like this.
Awesome stoning, very cerebral while incredibly powerful at the same time.
A trait of many SA strains is the powerful sedatory effects.
Not like an indica but more of a very warm positive stoned feeling.
Very relaxing
Malawi is great, with a positivly amasing earthy, hash smell.
Like good Red or Gold Seal.

he says sedatory effects. yes.

Latest posts

Latest posts