What's new

Looking for a security camera with live viewing capabilities that is not connected to a corporate cloud

trouthugger

I bought some Wyze cams last grow only to find out that I have to login to the Wyze app and access my video through a them.

I don't feel comfortable with my grow security footage being accessible to others, corporations, individuals, or the law. Is there any cameras that record to a private IP or server? I need to be able to watch them when I am not home on my home network. Storage would be nice too.

What are the options here?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Xvim system will let you access it directly, if you like hooking the DVR to an internet source like a home server.

X15

Same prob. the user agreements are not usually what’s listed as marketing. Every company wants access to yo shit.

Are there any security DIY people out there?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
:lurk:
I am curious as well, for the security aspect only , not having anything to do with the growing aspect. Anything that has to do with wifi ect... is all part of the cloud, in some shape or form. A signal is a signal.

St. Phatty

How far is the location where you want to watch the video, from the garden ?

Lots of folks would just lay down some network cable. Doesn't even have to be in the ground, if it's the right color.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Are your plants within wifi distance of your wireless router? I assume you're using a router and that you have wifi.

Do a search for "IP Camera". They connect (via ethernet or wifi) to your router and then you view it with an app on your phone, tablet or computer. They do NOT use a cloud unless you set it up to do so. They are cheap and I have used them for years to keep a view on my grow room. Some will pan and zoom. Most have features like timers and motion sensors that view 24/7 but only record if they see motion.

EDIT: I see in your post that you want to watch from a remote location, this feature is for you... Since your router is your hub, the cams are as secure as your router. However, most are capable of https hosting so you could actually configure your router so you could view from any place in the world where you have internet access if you wanted to set that up. Pretty neat. And, like I said .... cheap.

Last edited:

trouthugger

How far is the location where you want to watch the video, from the garden ?

Lots of folks would just lay down some network cable. Doesn't even have to be in the ground, if it's the right color.
This would mainly be to ensure security and safety (no fires, floods, falls, etc.) while I am away. Sometimes I can be several hundred miles away if I am out of town for the day or night.

trouthugger

Are your plants within wifi distance of your wireless router? I assume you're using a router and that you have wifi.

Do a search for "IP Camera". They connect (via ethernet or wifi) to your router and then you view it with an app on your phone, tablet or computer. They do NOT use a cloud unless you set it up to do so. They are cheap and I have used them for years to keep a view on my grow room. Some will pan and zoom. Most have features like timers and motion sensors that view 24/7 but only record if they see motion.

EDIT: I see in your post that you want to watch from a remote location, this feature is for you... Since your router is your hub, the cams are as secure as your router. However, most are capable of https hosting so you could actually configure your router so you could view from any place in the world where you have internet access if you wanted to set that up. Pretty neat. And, like I said .... cheap.

Yes, my plants are within my Wifi network. Sounds like this is what I need. I don't need time lapse videos of the grow or anything. All I need to be able to do is get peace of mind when I am not home that:
  1. No one is in my house/grow that shouldn't be
  2. Nothing has happened inside of the grow that would be a safety concern to the house or others
More of a peace of mind thing if you will.

trouthugger

Same prob. the user agreements are not usually what’s listed as marketing. Every company wants access to yo shit.

Are there any security DIY people out there?
I've heard of people rigging up raspberry pi's with a software to accomplish a similar solution. Not sure if I have the technical know-how to do this.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
You would need to have a static IP or pay for a static IP mask. Then, any pro solution works, as they fully customisable. HikVision and Dahua are some good ones.
They also have their own static ip replacement service where you access it through an account on their platform (usually included for free), if you wish. The video doesnt get on their platform tho, it's just a redirect so you can contact your dvr if you don't have a static IP assigned by the internet provider. You can also encrypt the video and the account also has a password. Basically, it's safe enaugh for 99.99% of the stuff and any leo that would potentially get a backdoor into that would have trouble using it in a court of law, as it's illegally obtained, you got to decide if that suits you as well. If hackers are the ones you are trying to avoid, the static IP makes no diference.

laszlokovacs

I've heard of people rigging up raspberry pi's with a software to accomplish a similar solution. Not sure if I have the technical know-how to do this.
First thought after reading the thread title was to make one with a raspberry pi, I cant say i'm great with tech but a quick google will easily lead you to a half dozen builds using it and tell you how. This one walks you through all the command prompts you would have to enter to set it up... should be very doable if you have the time. First result on google im sure there are other ways to do it if u wanna seriously consider it.

trouthugger

You would need to have a static IP or pay for a static IP mask. Then, any pro solution works, as they fully customisable. HikVision and Dahua are some good ones.
They also have their own static ip replacement service where you access it through an account on their platform (usually included for free), if you wish. The video doesnt get on their platform tho, it's just a redirect so you can contact your dvr if you don't have a static IP assigned by the internet provider. You can also encrypt the video and the account also has a password. Basically, it's safe enaugh for 99.99% of the stuff and any leo that would potentially get a backdoor into that would have trouble using it in a court of law, as it's illegally obtained, you got to decide if that suits you as well. If hackers are the ones you are trying to avoid, the static IP makes no diference.
Don't know what all of this means. But can't say I'm worried about hackers... mainly just legal repercussions.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I ran 3 or 4 Raspberry Pi's for a long time. Awesome fun. Cams are not great but they are OK. used mine to monitor a few variables and display it via wifi...

Attachments

• RPi interface.jpg
    RPi interface.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 78

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I am pretty sure their privacy notice might illuminate you.. Here in europe I have no fear of that being my demise.
A experimental Rasp PI would be more of a liability cause it would open you to even wannabe hackers.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
First thought after reading the thread title was to make one with a raspberry pi, I cant say i'm great with tech but a quick google will easily lead you to a half dozen builds using it and tell you how. This one walks you through all the command prompts you would have to enter to set it up... should be very doable if you have the time. First result on google im sure there are other ways to do it if u wanna seriously consider it.

You are still emitting a signal.

Latest posts

Latest posts