What's new

I need a quick and stealthy way to process my crop, please help!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Cob method, hands down the winner for most of the stash. I second the small fan and charcoal filter in a small space/tent suggestion.

If you kept any in the freezer... Do yourself a favor and stay away from iso, it makes a crap product compared to using ethanol and it also causes cumulative tissue damage. Pay the extra dollars and enjoy the extra flavorful and healthy product made with ethanol. ;)

Hasselhoff1337

Cob method, hands down the winner for most of the stash. I second the small fan and charcoal filter in a small space/tent suggestion.

If you kept any in the freezer... Do yourself a favor and stay away from iso, it makes a crap product compared to using ethanol and it also causes cumulative tissue damage. Pay the extra dollars and enjoy the extra flavorful and healthy product made with ethanol. ;)
Hi guys! Been a while. I looked into the cob method and hell yeah that looks super interesting. Ill try that this year!

What I ended up doing was 4 different things just to see the results.

1. paper baging / corrugated boxes: flipped em every day for a few weeks then put a handful inside every two or three days then into jars after a day in the attic. Worked well! Did overdry part of the havest but live and learn. They still smell but def some terp loss. I mostly do edibles anyway so I don’t care that much.

2. Used a herb dryer (like the thing you dry mushrooms with, same shit). Results were mixed. Went full blast on 45c for 6hrs and first 90g was completely dry then. Didnt cure as it would’ve just been a waste of time. Vacced seal and stashed it. Would not recommend this method. Does get you baked from smoking or eating but ended up doing green dragon with all of it as smoking it was not super bad but still not pleasent. Then I tried drying another 50g or so not full blast on lowest setting 1 hr, then into bags for half a day, then another hr, and so on for 3-4 times. This result was much better. After cure it’s quite nice. Wouldve been nicer if I couldve just dried normally but with 80% rh and 10-15c outside in the shed I needed the help from the drying machine. Im still smoking this and its rly a good way to dry if you only have a weekend. So total about 140-150g I did this way.

3. QWISO: used about 100g of semi dried material (dry enough so one more day inside would’ve dried it filly). Froze it for 12 hrs with the iso (99%). Then did a min shake, strained on a baking tray, let sit for a few weeks. It came out as nearly pure oil in the end. Super messy and idk how to smoke this shit so I’ve only smoked it twice. Will not do again but my god is it potent. Yielded around 8-10% of weight put in.

4. Did a drying box. There’s a thread on here somewhere about using road salt as to dehydrate the buds, placing the salt on a platter on a rack then the buds on a seperate rack over the salt, in a sealed plastic container with holes in the bottom. Worked great. Optimal dry in 2 weeks and easy to hide in a shed. Did this with 40g or so (dried weight). Will stick to this method I think, especially for august/sept harvests when RH here is 80%+ and temps perfect for mold.

All in all I harvested maybe 300-400 grams plus trim. The trim I just baked fresh in the oven and put in high proof drinking alcohol. Let it sit for a few weeks, shaked a lil every other day, then strained and enjoyed.

As to what climates I’m in, as a few have asked, I’ve sort of answered above but its in scandinavia so high RH and low temps aug-oct. And for those saying I might as well not grow if I can’t dry properly, well I’ve smoked my own stash since august and I dont wanna buy from shady criminals so it is what it is. I have two kids and a demanding job (and wife rofl) so I rarely get high but when I want to I dont wanna be forced to interact with shady people. Mids are fine for me. I get super baked off the shit I grew and I barely need 0,1g (xmax v3 pro capsul is enough).

Thanks for all the ideas! Next harvest I’m going Cob-style :)

Hasselhoff1337

Food grade high proof ethanol is not legal here I’m afraid. Max we have is 80% rum. So here people go with ISO.

Hasselhoff1337

I never pass up an opportunity to promote cobs and cobbing!:LOL:

Although in this case cobbing is an ideal solution.

I've just re read the opening post and noticed the date is January! I reckon it's been well dried by now and probably smoked as well!
I don’t smoke so often so it will last me at least another year hah. It is however dry! But there are more years and more harvests coming. This year I will try cobs. Looks super interesting!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
That or buy/build a still? Not for the casual passerby, but a definite option if you need it all the time and have the time/skills. The alcohol wash to distill is sugar, water, yeast (yes, common bread yeast works fine) and time. ;)
Iso is definitely not good... :(

Congrats on the successes and thanks for sharing. :D

Hasselhoff1337

That or buy/build a still? Not for the casual passerby, but a definite option if you need it all the time and have the time/skills. The alcohol wash to distill is sugar, water, yeast (yes, common bread yeast works fine) and time. ;)
Iso is definitely not good... :(

Congrats on the successes and thanks for sharing. :D
And thank you for the input brother!

My neighbour has one and is using it. He doesnt purify it though as he uses the alcohol as fuel. We have an on going energy crisis here lol and he’s a ”fuck the govt and big companies” type of dude so he pays minimal for electricity rofl. Instead of sugar he is using corn, so it’s cheaper to run his generator on it than gasoline lol. Or was when the electricity prices spiked anyway.

Anyway on topic I could get some from him and purify it in carbon! Probably should. But cannabis-rum doesnt taste all that bad and as I rarely have a tolerance a lil sip usually fucks me up good!

Smoking the oil is kinda messy and not for me I think. I rarely smoke anyways because my wife says it smells like shit and she’s probably not wrong.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This harvest is all gone by now lol

Any guerilla grows we had going back when still illegal we dried at the same outdoor site. We made stands to hang plants on out of direct sunlight.. If no tress use a tarp for cover. You should de branch as much as possible. This works fine but 2 days is pushing it, you would need direct sunlight or heat to dry faster.

Old Piney

Back in my teens and yes hiding from mom and dad lol, I would hang it in the bush in partial shade under clear plastic with the bottom open and the top cut off so that it wouldn't seam up in the sun. I would hang a second plastic canopy about a foot over it to keep rain or dew out. Depending on the weather it would dry out nice with a bit of a cure in about a week ready to bag or jar

Hasselhoff1337

Back in my teens and yes hiding from mom and dad lol, I would hang it in the bush in partial shade under clear plastic with the bottom open and the top cut off so that it wouldn't seam up in the sun. I would hang a second plastic canopy about a foot over it to keep rain or dew out. Depending on the weather it would dry out nice with a bit of a cure in about a week ready to bag or jar
did consider this and on a local forum someone claimes you could put buds in panty hose and then tie them like sausages (so like 2 inches of bud has no connection to the next sausage) and hang them high in trees. He did this and came back 3 weeks later to a pretty decent dry. Never tried so cant say anything about it rly other than it sounds interesting.

I’ll def try cobs this year. And I’ll also do a combination of paper baging and putting in shed, some in the plastic container with desiccants, and straight decarb then into high proof rum. A shot and you’re high for the evening is nice lol.

goingrey

is that the same thing you use for making beef jerky?
Yes, you can use them for that.
I´ve been wondering about those and if these dehydrators are good for curing/drying weed .
No. They are just fans blowing hot air. Dries it too quick and evaporates a lot if not most of the aroma off the buds while doing that. Maybe on a really low temperature but then do you gain much either..

bushed

Hey, I noticed you said you eat more than smoke these days. You could process into coconut oil and keep in the fridge, you can just eat a chunk or put into capsule. It's super easy and always hits the spot.