What's new

honey cloning

crimsonecho

And what's your SOP dome heat yadda yadda yadda
water the plants a day before, prepare plastic cups with straight tap water, cut and place in the cups until its time to transfer into cloning tray. when ready dip the bottoms in honey, transplant. close the dome with vents halfway open the first day. second day open the vents all the way and air out for 5 mins. second day 10 third day 15 and move up to 30mins a day incrementally.

thats my procedure. the room the trays are in is at 30-35% rh and pretty clean. 2 24w t5ho grow spectrum floros hanging 25cm above the trays.

OleReynard

Moler clay. Very popular with orchid and bonsai people. Seramis is a well-known brand. I use it as a growing medium in general not for rooting cuttings specifically, but cuttings do root well in it.
You mean molding clay or the clay balls like they use for hydro

crimsonecho

Moler clay. Very popular with orchid and bonsai people. Seramis is a well-known brand. I use it as a growing medium in general not for rooting cuttings specifically, but cuttings do root well in it.
thats nice i can add that to my organic mixes in the future

goingrey

You mean molding clay or the clay balls like they use for hydro
Neither. It looks like this:

1714921232233.png

Like a red "perlite" but with better moisture retention.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
With many excess males a year i have always used them for comparisons and every twisted experiment you can imagine without wasteing the girls
Trialed honey dipped clones in compost and perlite a decade ago with poor results , honey in the bubbler promoted fungus.
Side by side with the same clone and done more than once so confident in my results.

I assumed that honey contained fungicides but it seems to actually work as a dessicant.
From the link
The water content of honey is a key factor in why it doesn’t spoil. At 17%, its water content is much lower than that of bacteria or fungi. Honey also has a low water activity; this is a measure of the amount of water in a substance that is available to support microbial growth. Water activity is on a scale of 0 to 1, with most moulds and bacteria being unable to grow under a water activity of 0.75. Honey has a water activity of 0.6. This, combined with the fact that its low water content dehydrates bacteria, makes it resistant to spoiling.

Another factor that helps honey avoid spoiling is its acidity. Its average pH is around 4; this acidity is contributed to by a number of acids, including formic acid and citric acid, but the dominant acid is gluconic acid, produced by the action of bee enzymes on some of the glucose molecules in the honey. This further boosts honey’s antibacterial properties, as many bacteria thrive in neutral rather than acidic conditions. Hydrogen peroxide is also produce by the production of gluconic acid – this too can inhibit the growth of bacteria. Honey’s antibacterial properties are actually potent enough for it to be effective as an impromptu wound dressing.
If this is correct a thick layer of honey may dry out cells and inhibit water transport stopping the rooting process , which is consistent with my own observation.
And a pH of 4 to 5 seems low compared to optimum bubbler pH.

crimsonecho

With many excess males a year i have always used them for comparisons and every twisted experiment you can imagine without wasteing the girls
Trialed honey dipped clones in compost and perlite a decade ago with poor results , honey in the bubbler promoted fungus.
Side by side with the same clone and done more than once so confident in my results.

I assumed that honey contained fungicides but it seems to actually work as a dessicant.
From the link

If this is correct a thick layer of honey may dry out cells and inhibit water transport stopping the rooting process , which is consistent with my own observation.
And a pH of 4 to 5 seems low compared to optimum bubbler pH.
sad to hear it didnt work for you i also wouldnt use it in bubble cloner.
@xtsho knows his stuff for sure.. Ive known the guy for years at a different site... i was excited to see him here after i created an account...
i love his monster sativas in tiny pots. legend.

goingrey

So it seems like I got the same result again even though this time it took longer. Honey dipped clone dead and the non-dipped one is not dead yet.

crimsonecho

So it seems like I got the same result again even though this time it took longer. Honey dipped clone dead and the non-dipped one is not dead yet.
i just dont understand how we have such different results. how is you cloning game usually? good %?

goingrey

i just dont understand how we have such different results. how is you cloning game usually? good %?
I don't do it that often but usually they root when I do. But anyway in this case I literally took similar cuttings from the exact same plant at the same time and then planted them in the same container, only difference was the dip so if it was down to my technique the non-dipped clones should have suffered the same fate.

Maybe the kind of honey makes a difference. As this is a raw/unheated honey the shelf life has likely been extended with desiccants lowering the water content below the needs microbial activity. Possibly it then sucks moisture from the cutting. Just a theory, could also be a case of that infant botulism. :D Or just chance.

crimsonecho

I don't do it that often but usually they root when I do. But anyway in this case I literally took similar cuttings from the exact same plant at the same time and then planted them in the same container, only difference was the dip so if it was down to my technique the non-dipped clones should have suffered the same fate.

Maybe the kind of honey makes a difference. As this is a raw/unheated honey the shelf life has likely been extended with desiccants lowering the water content below the needs microbial activity. Possibly it then sucks moisture from the cutting. Just a theory, could also be a case of that infant botulism. :D Or just chance.
are you using raw honey? didnt know that. i’m not sure if there is a causality between clone failure and raw honey but i also would guess bees just drag so much stuff on their body like spores and microbes such as botulinum. maybe raw honey also has some other microbes that kills your cuts. just spitballing here.

anyway i didnt ask your % to suggest you are doing something wrong i was gonna say if you already have a high success rate you obviously dont need honey haha

its really a shame that you didnt see the same improvement i saw. maybe give it another go with some regular ass pasteurized pine honey?

goingrey

are you using raw honey? didnt know that. i’m not sure if there is a causality between clone failure and raw honey but i also would guess bees just drag so much stuff on their body like spores and microbes such as botulinum. maybe raw honey also has some other microbes that kills your cuts. just spitballing here.
Hehe so the "infant botulism" then..

anyway i didnt ask your % to suggest you are doing something wrong i was gonna say if you already have a high success rate you obviously dont need honey haha
Yeah I've never felt the need for any kind of rooting products for cuttings because usually they root well and if they don't maybe it wasn't something I want to keep around anyway, better be super special to be worth dealing with poor rooting, but then again that cockyness made me lose my best mother plant a couple years back (the only one I kept around for a longer time). It was a really eager rooter so I took a cut and got rid of the rootbound mom being sure the cut would make it... didn't. Oh well.

Anyway just trying this honey thing out for fun because why not and there was a thread about it. :D

its really a shame that you didnt see the same improvement i saw. maybe give it another go with some regular ass pasteurized pine honey?
Maybe I'll give it a try after I have eaten the pot of this raw honey hehe. On the back burner for now.

goingrey

Despite already declaring it dead I propped up the second fallen over honey dipped cutting with a stick and it's actually not looking too bad, might make it yet. The non-dipped one is fine without any support though.

xtsho

The use of Honey has been known and used for decades when taking cuttings. So has Willow water, Cinnamon, Aloe, and many other substances.

Cloning cannabis is a simple process as long as you don't overcomplicate it.