What's new

Gas powered pump thread..

hamstring

Veteran
FP
You sound like a proud father. That boy is the spitting image of you, bring him up right.

I really love the way you follow through. Keep on keeping on FP.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Wow! Good deal! That should be a great pump for you.

Fast Pine said:
He basicly backed up most of the things that BACKCOUNTRY has tried to drive into my thick scull.

I'm curious, what did he disagree with?

Fast Pine

nothing really...He just explained that the WX-10 really wasnt designed for suckin stream water, and with a fiew minor adjustments it can be run safely in a mountain stream..Hence the metal stake and screening..(same stuff you told me to use)...I guess that seeing the pump first hand, and having it explained to me by two different people that have used the wx-10, were the deciding factors in the final purchase..That, and its soo damn tiny..:biglaugh:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Yes, good deal, I want to buy one of my own, I'm not sure my uncle will let me take off with his, heheh, My dad has the 2 cycle Homelite version, I'll make that do this year.

Fast Pine

Is that the ap 125?..I almost bought one of those off the computer..

So, yer gonna do the gas pump thang this year too!!! :chin: Thats awesome..I will have a great resource to help me through this..

Do you plan to water at night or during the day?...

Are ya gonna run a gravity fed RES/dripsystem at the pump spot?

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I'm going to hike up some small year round local creeks soon, these creeks are pretty isolated, with the nearest roads quite a hike away. These creeks sit down in deep, narrow valleys, the plan is to look for 2 good plots on the south facing part of the valleys. The plots will be placed as far up the hill as the pump can reach.

Each plot will have 5 plants, and a 50 gallon plastic barrel. The barrel will be uphill from the plots, and will be filled once or twice a month July-September, a Auto-irrigaition system using a Gilmour water timer and water bird "drip" irrigation parts will be used .

The systems will probably be set to water 2-3 times a week at about 8PM. I think the model number is right on the Homelite, I would like to buy my own Honda, but I'll be spending most of my money on Building materials this Spring.

The areas I'll be using for growing this year are isolated enough, no one will notice a pump running for 2-3 minutes once or twice a month. LORD BENIS is also doing something similar to us this year, insted using a electric pump to fill his rez.

Do you have a link to my Auto-irrigation thread? Lets see if I can dig one up here.....

This thread should have some good info to ponder, I'll be around getting stuff set up though, the plants will go in during late April/early May, but the system will wait until July since rain is plenty here until then.

supermanlives

Veteran
some good info here. too bad i dont have anywhere to grow outside anymore or inside for that matter. maybe next year i will move to oregon

Fast Pine

Backcountry...

What would be best tubing to use for the vertical lift?...The pump has a connection to a regular garden hose....How about a flat garden hose or two..They come in 50 foot lengths..

I was also thinking about using 1/2 inch drip tubing..but 200 or so feet of that will take up alot of space and be very sketchy, and hard to cover up while carying in and out of the valley..I could fit a coupple of rolls of 50 foot flat hose in a large back pack along with the WX-10?

Whats yer best advise:confused:
.................................................................................

Say,

Since im gonna be using this pump at very high altitude(7000-8500ft), what kind of decrease in performance should I expect..

Will it still be able to pump 100+feet vertical?...

Should I take the whole setup(pump,hoses) with me when spot hunting?

I plan on using my GPS to tell me if my spot is around 100 feet verticaly up the valley side from the river:confused:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
So you don't have plots picked out already? Me neither yet, I need to get out.

Garden hose would be easier to pack than the 1/2" "Drip" line , I think the drip line you speak of is also known as Poly pipe, it would be my choice if the line was going to stay permenent, or at least for all Summer long.
Yeah, I'd say get the Garden hose if you will be moving the line each time.

I don't think the altitude should make much of a difference, how does your car/truck do at different altitudes?

Keep in mind that water flow will slow as the elevation increases, you will get less and less flow the higher and higher you go.

To be sure, I'd take the whole pump/hose setup out to the hills with you when you look for plots. Try it on a couple, use your GPS and "Eyeball" estimation to find the rest, but ultimatly test the plot with the pump before you plant it.

badmf

Hey there! I been using that very Honda pump (WX10) since it was introduced, some years now, it works, in streams, rocks or not! Using a sieve type screen can help just keep it clean of algae etc! It will pump uphill at 45 degrees for about 100 feet but it gets much slower after that. Change out the oil every third run of 1 hour. Keep fresh gas too! I have found its "safer" to add more rezs to last a season as re-filling is risky! I use 64-76 gallons of water per plant per season. And I add 2 1/2 g every trip there to adjust my auto timers. 32 gallon cans are my containers with a 1/3rd polymer mix and verm/perlite mixed with spag. moss/ grn sand/ lime/ hummus and soil from the downwashed fertile slopes in the stream bed. Camoed of course. By using larger cans it holds more moisture and requires less water overall. You can make a great muffler by buying one of the "fake" rocks at HD and ventilating it properly. Sound in heavy forest although loud close up, fades quickly and many campers/hunters use generators too. Check your fill times per can or rez... and you'll have an idea of how far you can scout while its running. Buying the quick dis-connects are very smart too!! I like to run my spring fill during rain, not many peeps out then. Oh I invert the lids and slice a slot into the middle to allow plants through. It also helps conceal the can tops as you can fill em with soil. My question has been should I put more than one in each 32 g can, and bend em opposite directions or stay solo. Guess I'll find out soon! LOL Check out "Hands free outdoor" for some early pix etc.

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Hey badmf! I love your thread, I first found it just a few months back, I was astounded I hadn't seen it before. There seems to be a few us around here into this subject.

I should go look at your thread again.

badmf

Well I'm Phattered, LOL glad its still here. I still hate snakes! I know they serve a purpose but...I've seen many of your threads and its great that there are folkz that care enough to give back, so kudos to you my friend!!! :bow: To all yall that haven't the experience out or in always listen and learn. Don't love 'em to death, remember the T in TLC is for tender, right ladies? :sasmokin:

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I dont realy understand the need for a pump. Are you using a huge rez? Or do you run a line to a nearby creek? Very lucky that my spot has abundant groundwater.

Last edited:

Fast Pine

No huge rez Deft..Just a trash can or two, up the hill..

Me and backcountry have to deal with a dry climate..The pump enables us to get alot of water to a secure location with no lugging or carving trails to the plot..

I cant rely on rain alone to get a guerilla crop off..Ya know..

Say..
From what I can tell, you know about cars/engines...

Do you have any idea about my second question in post number 49..?

The question about the pumps performance at high altitude..

Last edited:

Deft

Veteran
It will be like puting in less air, engines run harder because of more pressure. More o2 goin in to be burned will mean you can squirt more fuel in to mix right with the available oxygen. I dont know about generators but modern cars factor in the pressure of the incomeing air. I think sea level is 14.7 PSI or somthing normaly, its 1 bar. Temp also affects how much air is going in also.

I dunno how that will affect your pump but it should make it a little weaker, so go for larger displacement/compression than it says you need IMO, but still want it to run on regular so its not expensive lol. You'd think a pump would have some sort of gearbox to change the rotational speed and torque, if it does it might just take longer to get the right pressure? Who knows you'd have to look at the pump lol.

Last edited:

badmf

Q for you Deft, how often and how do you water your plants? Pumps move water to hold in rez/etc or to water on cycle this will use it wisely throughout the season. This is especially useful if you have a timer set-up to auto water, thus reducing trips and labor. This was my thinking during one very hot summer, I found myself lugging h2o and didn't fancy that, so I came up with a simple solution and kept improving until its a cinch now!

Deft

Veteran
The area I have to grow in has substantial groundwater because it is at the end of a long vally coming out of the mountains, its flat and a foot or two down gets very wet so plants realy explode once they hit it! All I have to do is plant them in a good spot where there is ample groundwater and after a month they hit it and take off, gotta make shure its a good balance between a dry topsoil and a wet subsoil and any kind of plant realy likes it! Trouble is getting them sun as EVERYTHING has plenty of water and competes for the sun.

I expect to grow some large plants this year as there will be many more to account for losses and males etc and they will have much better locations for soaking up the sun.

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Growing conditions like that are primo Deft, I am slowly finding the "Oasis" spots in my area too, I should have 3 plots growing on naturally moist ground this summer.

Only one of my grows will use a pump to fill its rez, and if I find a better spot, I might just use gravity flow to fill it. Its still pretty rainy here so I should be able to fill a couple smaller grows resivours soon, I could also fill resivours by harvesting rain with tarps.

badmf

Yo Deft, its not too late to take numbered cuttings;so you can go 12/12 right away and "know" whose who before wasting time labor etc. You only need a flur too.But 2harvest, there must be no visitors! I have the same in one of my areas but a few hikers will come through during the year and I don't want "ez-pikin's" so I pump uphill 120 feet to rezs.

Latest posts

Latest posts