What's new

Finish drying my bud in the freezer in my kitchen?!?

ricketyrick

i read the whole thread i aint see anything about turkey bags. would it mean we need to open the bag and let it sit in the fridge?

QQNPK

i read the whole thread i aint see anything about turkey bags. would it mean we need to open the bag and let it sit in the fridge?

Anything that will allow the water to evaporate, if you dont let the water evaporate you will have ice in the bag/box and slower evaporation if i understood it right :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Use Turkey Bags to cure if you have lots. Vanilla storage bins are good also. But for drying? Expect a lot of mold at best. At least it'll already be in a garbage bag.

You don't have to worry about the top layer of bud. It's underneath that will get you. Even qhile curing, you have to flip it over.

indagroove

Veteran
I might have to try this. I've stored already cured buds in the freezer in the past, and they always smoked excellent., despite all my friends telling me the freezer would ruin the buds.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I always have cured bud in a freezer. I make sure they're well sealed though and not only in zip bags. I've had it for 6 months+.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
No no... My other post said *drying bud in a turkey bag or bin will mold. Curing can still mold, but only if you leave it too long without drying/burping long enough to remove excess moisture.

Once it's cured, and you double vac seal it (once is probably enough), you can leave it in the freezer for a year. I just pulled out my last pound when I got home today. The wife is running low. lol

To store it long term, I use an old type freezer. Frost free works great to dry your bud, but not to store it long term. You want a constant temp.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Burping in a jar is easy. You only have a bit in there. In a bin or a bag, you have to be a little more aggressive with it.

If you're using storage bins:
Don't fill it to the top. Half is good enough. Pull the lid off and gently flip the bud. Get the bottom on top. Once the outside is dry again (30 min to 2 hours), pop the lid back on. Check youtube for examples of well cured bud. If you only have a 6-10 inches in the bin (what I would aim for), you can flip it by hand in the same bin.

If you're using turkey bags:
Don't fill them up. Half is good enough. Open the bags and let the bud dry a bit. Lay the bag down side ways and spread the bud out a bit. Test the weed with your hand. If it feels dry, reseal the bag.

In either case, don't wait too long to burp. At first, baby it like a new puppy because it can get wet in a couple hours if you didn't dry it enough. So make sure it's properly dried before you bin/bag or it will mold.

The most common mistake new growers make is over watering. The second is not letting it dry enough before the cure.

pasha.h

does anyone kno if buds need some air for curing? Or process gone faster if to do it in vacuum? Next time I will try vacuum curing process, but does somebody already compare this methods?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I tried it. Just before your last burp, pack and freeze it. It'll still need drying when you take it out though. I just pulled a pack out from last year and it's too fresh to grind easily. Have to let it dry some more.

It's better to cure properly, then vac pack it.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I threw a few branches that were trimmed pretty good, into a half gallon glass jar with no top > into freezer.. a week later they were cold for sure:biggrin:. The rest of the plant hung as usual for the same amount of time.. the freezer bud was greener and still needed some drying out before usable but so did some of the naturally hung dried buds. They may taste and appear a little 'brighter' from the freezer. I'll give it a go next time again and pay more attention. OTOH I've only had problems with buds dried in bottles when waiting too long or forgotten to be burped. I use cardboard (Amazon mostly:biggrin:) boxes.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have a chest freezer (frost free) full of bud with large bin waste paper bags. They're about half the size of yard waste bags. I took a few big buds out and put them on my drying rack. Apart from a flat spot, it dried open air alright. I suspect it'll take a month or more to dry completely in there.

I'll have to test them every once in a while before I take them out for the final trim and binning for the cure.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
?

I have no intention of going back 500 post+so short strokes.

What benefit if any is there curing in the freezer? If we follow normal drying and curing protocol that is.

I understand the maturity buds gain over "time" I don't touch my buds for min 60 days after they have stabilized e.g burp once in a while, and have seen the benefits of "time" on my buds, both in aroma and "smoothness". Each jar contains a 62% boveda pack and hygrometer.

My case as a medical user, I don't grow industrial quantities. I only grow towards my needs and because I grow a variety of strains, I only grow what I require through careful planning, with the hope of being able to only do one grow/yr to remain ahead of the bell curve.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
In a nutshell, this thread has many side by side experiments with freezer dried bud consistently coming out on top.

I put mine in the freezer because I'm too swamped to trim it at the moment. I'll let it dry for a while and pull it out for a dry trim or CO2 frozen tumble. Haven't decided yet.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Nope. A little should dry much faster, but take longer than a normal dry. Put a pound, or less, like an ounce or something, in a small cardboard box. It dries via sublimation. It MUST be a frost free freezer.. Just close the box, don't seal it, and let it do its thing. It should only take a week or so, maybe two, to dry enough to start the cure.

I'll go over this thread tonight and pull the relevant information for a "how to" post.

Some people on here said they would always use the freezer after trying it. So there has to be something worthwhile to it.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Thanks good buddy, waiting with baited breath LOL. My main freezer ain't frost free so the fridge one it will have to be.