What's new

Early Flowering Male used in cross = Early flowering Fems in F1?

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello fellow growers,

I was wondering if I use a male that shows early flowering characteristics in a cross with a female from another variety would mean obtaining earlier flowering females (& males) in the next (f1) generation? :confused:

I reckon I'm not a genetics pro :pointlaug tho I enjoy experimenting :yummy: Although it might sound obvious (since the genetic trait of early flowering from the male is passed on to the other generation), I was wondering if this could be a sex-related trait, meaning that only the resulting males from the f1 generation will have earllier flowering... Any ideas?

Now, I know that this won't make it an stable hybrid (5-7 generations are needed for that I understand), but would such a cross produce earlier flowering ofspring (females & males)?

I have a Early Island Indica that's starting to show pods and I'll like to save some of the pollen to put my idea from above in practice. For how long and what's the best way to store the pollen?

Thanks in advance and my apologies if this issue has been covered elsewhere. I made a search on "pollen" and couldn't find anything specific to my question(s).

Greens

Yes, both the male and female offspring will get some of those earlier flowering genes from the EII. It won't make the cross finish as fast as the pure EII, but will finish earlier than the later flowering parent. Depending on the strain, it could make a very big difference.

As for pollen, you can flower it and then shake the plant over some wax paper. Then fold up the wax paper and let it dry for a couple days. Once dry, put the paper in a mason jar and then pop it in the freezer. When you are ready to pollinate something, pull out the folded wax paper, unfold it and then pollinate your plants. Re-freezing usually does not work. So, you can separate the pollen into several different "packets" of wax paper and then take them out one at a time to pollinate individual plants.

Greens

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Greens,

I was thinking to use the pollen to cross it with a sativa dominant strain, to try shorten the flowering period of the resulting cross.

Would the resulting cross be more effective (shorter flowering) and the resulting hybrids be more vigorous if I were to do poly-pollination of that sativa fem (I'm hoping, hasn't sexed yet)?

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Browser said:
Would the resulting cross be more effective (shorter flowering) and the resulting hybrids be more vigorous if I were to do poly-pollination of that sativa fem (I'm hoping, hasn't sexed yet)?

Anyone? :drum:

I guess it's either a very tricky question, or the answer is very obvious, but still... :1help: !

... Pls?

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greens said:
Yes, both the male and female offspring will get some of those earlier flowering genes from the EII. It won't make the cross finish as fast as the pure EII, but will finish earlier than the later flowering parent. Depending on the strain, it could make a very big difference.

Greens

I agree.
but ill add that some phenos verry well may finish as fast, mabey even faster, than the early parent. and some may bloom longer or as long as the later parent.
This does tho, entirely depend on the stability of the parents used, their dominance.. and youll only really know when ya grow the kids out.

Browser said:
Thanks Greens,

I was thinking to use the pollen to cross it with a sativa dominant strain, to try shorten the flowering period of the resulting cross.

ummm.
whats a poly-pollination?i guess Ive never heard that term used.. are you talking about using multiple males to one mother?

If so:
it would not narrow down any specific trait in the offspring.. it would only widen the spectrum of phenos (variance) in the offspring, and possibly extend any stabelization progress (thru incrossing of that offspring gen) of specific desired traits.
1+1 parent will narrow yer results to the offerings of those 2 parents, in the offspring. this could be a good thing for further incrossing, and stablizing specific traits, IF, the offspring produce the traits you are after. using 1+1 parent, can either be faster for stabelizing further, or it can be a failure and you wont find the ideal pheno..

by using more parents, you would have a higher chance of finding an ideal phenotype, but it may be harder to stablize those traits, unless you backcross to the parent more closely related to the traits you desire.

in predicting breeding outcome... we can explain alot, but awnser little!
the proof is in the progony, as Ive always said.

Peace, bub.

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you very much Mr(s). OG :D :bigeye:, for an extensive and clear answer. I really apreciate it.

Now it's a matter of give it a try and see :canabis: :dance: :jump:

zamalito

Veteran
I agree with bub 100% but I'd also like to add that it can sometimes be difficult to determine the flowering times of males especially with regards to polyhybrids or f2's. Since many males can autoflower or trigger flowering based on non photo related conditions. The best way to select an early flowering male is to select earlier males from lines which also consistently produces early flowering females. I've seen males from landrace sativa lines which flower much earlier under 24/0 than males from fast flowering indica lines. However, the females of the sativa line finish 4 months later outside and 7 weeks later inside and the male obviously wouldn't shorten the flowering time on anything but the longest flowering sativas.

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for sharing your experience Zamalito.

My question related specifically to crossing some sativas with more indica/earlier strains, to try to get the best of both worlds, and still be able to grow them outdoors during my short season.

I'm trying some earlier (indica) strains this year for the 1st time and would like to cross them with some late flowering (sativa) plants. My original idea to use many males to a female was an attempt to ensure a reduction in flowering time, since it's the only trait I'm looking for at this moment.

Latest posts

Latest posts