What's new

Tutorial DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds R.C.Clarke Method as Base

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Laugh all you want. *shrug* There are MANY studies done which tout how safe and benign it is. There are also multiple studies from the 70's showing it's effectiveness for bypassing the blood brain barrier.

Thanks for showing up though. ;)

Ca++

I read that 70s study. They concluded it's why ice cream causes brain freeze.

FLATLINE.jpg

Douglas.Curtis

Been following this thread for a bit. I’ve tried a lot of the ideas here, and tried CS also, all with no success.
Ran across this and said why not???
And I finally have success!!! ( link below)
The mixing was easy to understand and simple. Since I don’t need as much stock solution ( after mixing a/b, I toss the remaining individual solutions as I don’t need) I halved the amounts.
Hope this helps some one else!!!
So what you're saying is this thread gave you everything you needed, except a 1:3 (STS:water) ratio worked where 1:9 didn't. Yes, that too was discussed here. 🤦

Thanks for reaffirming some genetics require a bit stronger mix though. Greatly appreciated. The vid is a visual of this thread in action. Good find. :D

albertgriffiths

Seen this on reddit, on a thread about STS... First time hearing about injecting it in the stem.

Has anyone tried?
What do you think of it?
Internet bro science, or worth trying?

20240114_204422.jpg

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Interesting...

The goal is to have the silver bind with all the copper in the sap traveling through the plant. Injection would put the silver directly in the sap.

Curious why they mention still spraying if injection works?

albertgriffiths

Curious why they mention still spraying if injection works?
Yes, that's what's troubling to me. The whole point should be to avoid spraying...
If they're still spraying in the meantime, it doesn't prove their technique is effective by itself...

Practically, that also means you need a super-small needle and a quite fat and hollow main stem. (not sure how it would work with the little clones I'm using).

They didn't post any info on dilution either.

I'd be curious to try out, but don't know what protocol to follow. Maybe full strength injections on day F+0 and F+15?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
That is exactly the stuff I use. First I bought that same bottle you are looking at. The second time I just bought the refill bottle.

Shit works great for me.

EDIT: I might add that I seem to have better results using an eye dropper for application rather than the spray. I also didn't use any soap.

albertgriffiths

I seem to have better results using an eye dropper for application rather than the spray
I was coming to say the opposite :sneaky:! On the little test I made, I'm having better results with a spray than with an eye dropper! I didn't use any wetting agent either, and the solution beaded and rolled down the plants without wetting them too much, it seemed.

However, I rekon the eye dropper was much more convenient to use. Much less risk of inhaling/spraying it on your hands. That would deserve a second try.

I didn't use the exact same protocol/dilution on the eye dropper VS on the sprayed ones, that's another factor. But I'm not having any balls on the dropper ones and I didn't feel like it was being absorbed enough.

Seen this on reddit, on a thread about STS... First time hearing about injecting it in the stem.

I also tried injecting it into the stem today. And I won't do it again. Didn't work at all: my stems were not hollow enough, I couldn't inject aything in it, and I somehow managed to make a mess and spill some STS on myself... 100% not recommended!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
The only reason I use a dropper instead of spray is because I am using it on fresh cut clones. AFAIK fresh cut clones take in the water from the leaves (since there are no roots, yet) so I didn't want the leaves covered with the STS and possible affecting the water intake.

Might not have hurt them but so far, I am having great results with both the clones and the reversal so that's why I do it that way.

:)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Everything I'm breeding is an auto so the lights are always 19 hrs for everyone. Clones, moms, 19 hrs.

I have been growing for over 50 years but Autos are new to me. I moved and lost my grow space so Autos are all (mostly) I can do for now.

I have been doing Autos for almost 3 years now and.... eh, they have their good points and bad. I still prefer photosensitive strains. The silver lining to the dark cloud is that I can grow outdoors for the first time and that has been a fun new learning experience.

LostTribe

Premium user
Getting some green bananas coming out of the "reverse pollen sacks" with no pollen. Pollen sacks are plentiful and not many hairs. Been using ration from post #1, suggestions? Trinity, Albany, Sour D and one other are all doing the same thing almost zero pollen. Tried a couple times on the sours. Increase the ratio or decrease? I dried a few of the plants before and didnt find any dust inside the sacks.

Suggestions for a higher STS concentration? Whats the highest mix anyones had success with? Measurements if you can help me out, have a and b on hand.

Ca++

50 pages in, I have even forgotten what I said myself. However, on ones that didn't seem to be getting there, I did treat more frequently, not just stronger. I could see it was strong enough, but thought it was wearing off. I felt I needed more time, for them to truly finish.

It certainly wasn't once or twice as others have suggested. I was topping up maybe every 5 days.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Getting some green bananas coming out of the "reverse pollen sacks" with no pollen. Pollen sacks are plentiful and not many hairs. Been using ration from post #1, suggestions? Trinity, Albany, Sour D and one other are all doing the same thing almost zero pollen. Tried a couple times on the sours. Increase the ratio or decrease? I dried a few of the plants before and didnt find any dust inside the sacks.

Suggestions for a higher STS concentration? Whats the highest mix anyones had success with? Measurements if you can help me out, have a and b on hand.
I have tried stronger, 1:8, 1:7, 1:6 and they didn't like it and got burnt. Have you tried to start spraying them 1 week before flip to flower?

Douglas.Curtis

Ca++ has it correct, I'd try increasing the frequency a touch instead of the strength.

You still have pistils forming, (yes? or were they there before the pollen sacks?) so you should not be producing sterile pollen. On the other hand, no pollen is usually a sign of too much silver.

Ideally, the silver should be wearing off as the pollen sacks are ripening/footballing before opening. No ethylene production makes for sterile pollen, while too much ethylene prevents pollen formation and you'll see female flower formation. IIRC lol

LostTribe

Premium user
I've kept spraying about every 5 days. I'll keep on doing it a bit more and just give it time. I have time. Don't see necessarily new pistils just some on the top. The nanan's are poking out between the sacks too.

rindindoo

I often have to do a reverse with the help of STS, in 4 years I came across only one strain, which after the reverse gave excellent buds of male flowers, but they had no pollen at all, there were several reversed plants and all of them had no pollen, while plants of other strains successfully reversed and gave pollen from this solution. when I told this to my friend, from whom I received the seeds of this strain, he confirmed that he, too, was unable to obtain pollen. By the way, this is a very inbred line in a regular form, I wonder if this might have something to do with this, or some other reasons?

LostTribe

Premium user
How about also spraying with Colloidal Silver? Might try that if I dont have pollen flying next week.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Charles Xavier gave me a tip I haven't tried yet when using ,C.S. and that's add a couple of aspirin to the mix. Don't know how or even if, but he knew what he was talking about sooo????

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plants that I've reversed do not always drop pollen as we see with a normal male. Most FEM pollen is much more tacky/wet, with very little airborne pollen. It doesn't fall easily. Collection can be time consuming. I pick off any open male clusters and put them into a kief box to dry for 24hrs. It's then screened and collected. Most plants I've reversed had to be done like this. The amount of pollen is far less than what a male would drop. I have had some reversed plants drop normally but it is not something I see often.

I use a STS mix of 1:7. It works most of the time. Much better than 1:9. Some plants are hard to reverse. I've never seen any burn using 1:7. These were sprayed 4x from the start of 12/12. I got 3x more pollen from APPSS than I did NEM. I had to put NEM in with the females to get a good pollination. She won't give up a lot of pollen for later use.. If you use IPM with any oils you must!!!! wash that off before treating with STS!
DSCN8175.JPG DSCN8174.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts