What's new

Cannabis is getting cheaper in Canada!

Rider420

Ontario Cannabis Store to reduce its margins, estimates change will inject $35M into marketplace​

$35M figured expected to grow to $60M in 2024-25 and compound annually as market grows

Author of the article:
The GrowthOp

The price for regulated cannabis products has dropped significantly since the start of 2019, when the average cost per gram was $11.78, according to a market report from Deloitte Canada, market research form BDSA and Hifyre Inc., the technology subsidiary of Fire & Flower Holdings Corp.
Issued last November, the report found the average cost per gram had dropped to $7.50 in 2021.

11.78 to 7.50 a nice drop of 4.28 so close to the 420 eh. I almost feel sorry for the illegal growers that are still around but not for long.

Cuddles

that´s a real bargain! I mean it´s really cheap . I checked and 7.50 CAD is 5.23 EUR .
The question is: How good is the legal when compared to illegal? If it´s really good bud then tokers are gonna have even more fun and there may be more of them too ;)

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
That’s too cheap! There’s a lot of psychology on price point. In blind tests it’s a given that when something is very cheap (without being discounted from a higher price), the customer will automatically reason the quality is inferior.

I’m not Canadian so can’t comment on what the commercial product is like. Definitely interesting what’s happening up there though. Not sure I like it 😆

Rider420

That is per gram wait it gets better how about 63.99 per ounce?
Yup $2.28 per gram as cheap as it gets.
Want quality? You pay a little more like bc sour kush as good as any on the black market for 86.99 an ounce or $3.10 a gram.

Come for the skiing stay for the drugs!

Cuddles

That is per gram wait it gets better how about 63.99 per ounce?
Yup $2.28 per gram as cheap as it gets.
Want quality? You pay a little more like bc sour kush as good as any on the black market for 86.99 an ounce or $3.10 a gram.

Come for the skiing stay for the drugs!
that´s it! I´ve just made a decision: I´m moving to Canada! :D
:smoker:

Rider420

But wait it gets better yet!

STORE SELLS SHROOMS, LSD​

Activist Dana Larsen opens new Vancouver store selling psilocybin mushrooms, LSD and more​

Dana Larsen is on a mission to provide Metro Vancouverites with a safe supply of illicit substances -- but he's doing it in phases.

"I have not taken all the mushrooms on the menu," he notes, describing how he has a dozen "shroom" strains for sale at his new shop.

"I do microdose. I take LSD sometimes; I take mushrooms sometimes...I try to sample what I can but I have not tried every product in the store."

While he hopes to open a brick-and-mortar compassion club for heroin users in the future, the advocate currently offers a host of psychedelic drugs and what he describes as "plant-based medicine."

The new shop opened at 247 W Broadway on Monday, Feb. 13, and offers a range of illegal products. Psilocybin mushrooms, more commonly referred to as "magic mushrooms," are some of the most popular items for sale. Each one of them offers a distinct experience, ranging from a more relaxing sensation to a profoundly psychedelic journey, Larsen says.

The hallucinogenic fungi can also be micro-dosed for more manageable "trips," he says.

When people buy from mushroom dispensaries, they are made aware of the dose they are taking. They also know that they are getting a "safe supply" that has been tested rather than purchasing their drugs on the street, according to Larsen.

The Vancouver advocate founded a community drug-testing service called Get Your Drugs Tested in 2019, which offers a place for drug users to get their substances checked for harmful contaminants, seven days a week, free of charge.

"We've tested over 40,000 substances now," he remarks, adding that all of the results are on a searchable database on the website. "We're doing like two-thirds of all the drug testing in the province from our one location at 880 East Hastings."

Magic mushrooms Vancouver store opens on Broadway​

Customers can also purchase LSD in a diluted liquid form where they can mircodose it or "take it for psychedelic purposes." An LSD trip lasts significantly longer than an average magic mushroom trip, notes Larsen, with the effects of the former lasting upwards of 10 hours. Both substances are included under Schedule III of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act of the Criminal Code.

Larsen also sells DMT and Peyote, which are derived from plants with psychoactive qualities, as well as coca leaf tea -- an herbal tea that is derived from the same plant that cocaine comes from.

Kratom, another item on the menu, comes from a tree in southeast Asia and is used as a substitute for street opiates and fentanyl. While it is not in the controlled substances act, it is not to be sold for "human consumption."

While many advocates have touted the therapeutic benefits of using magic mushrooms, Health Canada cautions that they can cause people to have intense fear and paranoia, possibly resulting in "bad trips" or "flashbacks. These situations may "lead to risk-taking behaviour, which may then lead to traumatic injuries or even death."

But Larsen believs the benefits of legalizing substances like Psilocybin far outweigh the cost of lives lost and people putting themselves in harm's way to access them.

"I hope that this is the beginning of more stores like this in Vancouver," he says. "This is part of an effort to end the war on drugs by trying to do civil disobedience.

"I don't think we would have legalized marijuana in Canada if there wasn't a massive act of civil disobedience from coast to coast."

FYI BC Canada has decriminalized 2.5 grams of opioids, meth, cocaine and MDMA. Come for the skiing stay for the drugs.

Blue Rhino

that´s a real bargain! I mean it´s really cheap . I checked and 7.50 CAD is 5.23 EUR .
The question is: How good is the legal when compared to illegal? If it´s really good bud then tokers are gonna have even more fun and there may be more of them too ;)
After being HIGHLY disappointed with the recreational market and going back to black market weed, I decided to try something from a medical supplier earlier this year. And ya know what? It compares quite nicely to the illegal stuff. Mind you it's been a couple of years since I tried the rec weed and I know some of the medical weed is sold in the rec market but damn, I'm rather impressed. Some of their bud I can get for anywhere from $3 to $4.17/gram CAD when they have a sale, which is pretty regularly. So far I've tried 5 different strains from them and 4 of them are 2 thumbs up. The other one was still one thumb up though.
I've been smoking for over 35 years and what I've tried from them so far is every bit as good as what I've been smoking over the decades. They even some pretty nice hash I can get for $11.20/g (they only sell it in 2g allotments).
I had tried the medical weed some years before but wasn't impressed with the prices or the potency. This time though I'm impressed with both. I've also heard the weed on the rec market has gotten better since the last time I bothered with them but they still can't touch the prices I'm paying. One of those 5 strains I mentioned I can get a fat ounce (30g) for $90 on sale and it's one of the 2 thumbs up strains.
Also, pretty much everything I've tried so far burns nice and clean leaving nice white ashes when you're done.

I'm also experiencing something I've never experienced before. I'm a doobie smoker. Sometimes I'll fill a bowl and even more rarely I'll hot knife it but overall I prefer a nice doobie. But lately, since I started buying the med weed, I get too high smoking a joint. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means I end up smoking less now which means I'm spending even less per month than I used to.

But man, I do NOT like that too high feeling. It bums my apex.

Rider420

After being HIGHLY disappointed with the recreational market and going back to black market weed, I decided to try something from a medical supplier earlier this year. And ya know what? It compares quite nicely to the illegal stuff. Mind you it's been a couple of years since I tried the rec weed and I know some of the medical weed is sold in the rec market but damn, I'm rather impressed. Some of their bud I can get for anywhere from $3 to $4.17/gram CAD when they have a sale, which is pretty regularly. So far I've tried 5 different strains from them and 4 of them are 2 thumbs up. The other one was still one thumb up though.
I've been smoking for over 35 years and what I've tried from them so far is every bit as good as what I've been smoking over the decades. They even some pretty nice hash I can get for $11.20/g (they only sell it in 2g allotments).
I had tried the medical weed some years before but wasn't impressed with the prices or the potency. This time though I'm impressed with both. I've also heard the weed on the rec market has gotten better since the last time I bothered with them but they still can't touch the prices I'm paying. One of those 5 strains I mentioned I can get a fat ounce (30g) for $90 on sale and it's one of the 2 thumbs up strains.
Also, pretty much everything I've tried so far burns nice and clean leaving nice white ashes when you're done.

I'm also experiencing something I've never experienced before. I'm a doobie smoker. Sometimes I'll fill a bowl and even more rarely I'll hot knife it but overall I prefer a nice doobie. But lately, since I started buying the med weed, I get too high smoking a joint. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means I end up smoking less now which means I'm spending even less per month than I used to.

But man, I do NOT like that too high feeling. It bums my apex.
The only time I have ever gotten too high is after a month long tolerance break.

The quality of cannabis depends on the experience of the grower and the cultivars used. Some of the first recreational cannabis sucked because of lack of experience and poor quality cultivars but that has changed in the last four years. Back in 2001 the first medical cannabis was far worse.

Join the military! My brother gets three grams a day of medical cannabis for free! FYI he was wounded in the line of duty Canadian air force. He also gets 300.00 cnd every third year for vaporizers or bongs. But he prefers my home grown and some of the recreational cannabis I buy at the local legal store over the one company he is allowed to buy from. Yes when you get your medical cannabis prescription you have to choose only one company to get or buy your cannabis from.

BTW my home grown cost about 35 cents per gram 100% legal. But I have been perfecting my system since the first seed I planted in 82 to the indoor hydroponic system I have used since 1988. But the biggest difference was when I got a hold of Seniseeds seeds! Now I like legal seeds since you can buy them for 30 bucks for five feminized and or auto flowering seeds. Pure suns headband and 34th street super lemon haze are great choices if you can find them. Far better then most of the seeds on the black market back in 2002. I spent about 3 grand on seeds after finding out how good Seniseeds were but that was mostly a waste of money other then space queen and Romulan from BCGA now long gone.

Last edited:

Cuddles

The only time I have ever gotten too high is after a month long tolerance break.

The quality of cannabis depends on the experience of the grower and the cultivars used. Some of the first recreational cannabis sucked because of lack of experience and poor quality cultivars but that has changed in the last four years. Back in 2001 the first medical cannabis was far worse.

Join the military! My brother gets three grams a day of medical cannabis for free! FYI he was wounded in the line of duty Canadian air force. He also gets 300.00 cnd every third year for vaporizers or bongs. But he prefers my home grown and some of the recreational cannabis I buy at the local legal store over the one company he is allowed to buy from. Yes when you get your medical cannabis prescription you have to choose only one company to get or buy your cannabis from.

BTW my home grown cost about 35 cents per gram 100% legal. But I have been perfecting my system since the first seed I planted in 82 to the indoor hydroponic system I have used since 1988. But the biggest difference was when I got a hold of Seniseeds seeds! Now I like legal seeds since you can buy them for 30 bucks for five feminized and or auto flowering seeds. Pure suns headband and 34th street super lemon haze are great choices if you can find them. Far better then most of the seeds on the black market back in 2002. I spent about 3 grand on seeds after finding out how good Seniseeds were but that was mostly a waste of money other then space queen and Romulan from BCGA now long gone.
wow, 3 grams per day is really a lot imo. Does he require such an amount, if yes he must have been very badly wounded :(

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
It is good to hear that legal flower is improving. My s-i-l buys rec and so far, I have not been that impressed. He keeps throwing pre-rolls at me but I find the smoke very harsh compared to my own grow. I always cough after a couple of puffs. Legal hash has certainly improved dramatically and my best buy at the moment is just $12 a gram.

Rider420

wow, 3 grams per day is really a lot imo. Does he require such an amount, if yes he must have been very badly wounded :(
Military doctors prescribed that amount FYI he has had three surgeries and has enough metal in his leg to set off the metal detectors in airports. But at least he can walk now without a cane but the pain remains.

Cuddles

Military doctors prescribed that amount FYI he has had three surgeries and has enough metal in his leg to set off the metal detectors in airports. But at least he can walk now without a cane but the pain remains.
That does sounds seriously terrible :( . Does smoking weed help him at least? Do you happen to know which strains is he´s using?

Rider420

That does sounds seriously terrible :( . Does smoking weed help him at least? Do you happen to know which strains is he´s using?
Yes it does help the pain more then the other choices of medication with fewer negative side effects and a few positive effects.
The strains change but it's mostly sativa during the day and indica at night. He has tried other methods offered like oils, pills, tinctures and hash. He was even going to try transdermal patches but due to his high RX he would have to wear four patches at a time and still have to medicate four times a day.:rolleyes:

Cuddles

Yes it does help the pain more then the other choices of medication with fewer negative side effects and a few positive effects.
The strains change but it's mostly sativa during the day and indica at night. He has tried other methods offered like oils, pills, tinctures and hash. He was even going to try transdermal patches but due to his high RX he would have to wear four patches at a time and still have to medicate four times a day.:rolleyes:
the poor guy :( I hope it gets better eventually.

Tynehead Tom

sounds like me LOL
I'm barely staying on two feet these days as my left leg begins to fail me faster than I would like.
The wheelchair is not far off I'm afraid. My life would be hell without high quality cannabis which I grow myself.
I have never even stepped foot in a brick and mortar dispensary , legal or otherwise.
My brother demands the highest quality cannabis in flavor and effect and has not found it in any legal store online or brick and mortar. He uses some dial a dope website in the BC lowermainland that delivers to his door. He's a longshoreman making huge money and when it comes to killer weed, money is no object for him.
He is buying some awfully good bud for 50 bucks an ounce. I checked it out and even smoked a joint of it to test it out. It was okay, definatley flavor forward and a nice kick to it but an hour later I needed another joint so I went back to my stash hehehe
Nice to see prices that everyone can afford though.