What's new

ANYONE USING KINGBRITE XP BAR or CS 650w BAR OR STRIP LIGHT? PICS or PROOF of SUCCESS?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I would pay more to get some LEDs moved out from the middle, to the edges. This would mean some of the bars in the middle being less populated, which to a manufacturer is a waste of bar. Less heat in the middle would be nice for the driver, but my concern is light distribution. I will use the above charts as we can see them. 640w should do a meter, but here we see 1000ppdf in the middle, which in my experience causes problems without CO2 and a bit more feed. Which we can do. However, along the edges we have 300ppfd. That's below the minimum recommended for flowering. That 3:1 ratio of light, starting above ideal and finishing below, isn't something we can feed for ideally.

This design of light gives the promise of even light distribution. It doesn't deliver it though. In that same space, the use of 4 120w QB's can light the whole canopy in range. High in the range. Through putting no LEDs in the middle. If we look at a bar light, and divide it into 9 squares like a naughts&crosses board, you don't want any leds in the middle at all. The over-spill from 8 other squares covers it.

Nearly all these bar lights can be improved at home with a diffuser over that middle section. I suggest some glazing privacy film, over a square frame to aid hanging. Take that light and spread it. It's harmful and wasteful where it is.
s-l225.webp

If you can make out an image, it's not diffused the light enough. Think E27 lighting globes.
iu

TPFTFW

Veteran
QB’s suck imo
if I get 3 pounds a light with sour diesel I really don’t care about anything technical at all. They work take my money
your also looking at the 12” readings not the 24
Where the corners read 500-500-400-400-300-300
Looks to me like the light might not have been evenly level.
I also have more then 1 light in a room
So with ive flapping spread that’s irrelevant
You also seem to be forgetting that this light has several diodes that fall out of range for your average PPFD reading. meaning that’s not accurate
R2thk is great and idk if you noticed or not but there is space in the middle on the bar lights I have.

I recommend using the 640w at about 18”

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This might help your discussion

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
QB’s suck imo
if I get 3 pounds a light with sour diesel I really don’t care about anything technical at all. They work take my money
your also looking at the 12” readings not the 24
Where the corners read 500-500-400-400-300-300
Looks to me like the light might not have been evenly level.
I also have more then 1 light in a room
So with ive flapping spread that’s irrelevant
You also seem to be forgetting that this light has several diodes that fall out of range for your average PPFD reading. meaning that’s not accurate
R2thk is great and idk if you noticed or not but there is space in the middle on the bar lights I have.

I recommend using the 640w at about 18”

I just picked whatever, as it's much the same. At 24" it's 300-900 a 3:1 ratio still.
Look at the KB one in that link above. 800-1000 is within 25% not 300%. Even if we move out from a meter, to 1.5 meters, it is still making a usable 600 in the corners.

Quite a few lights use LED that don't fall within the accepted PAR spectrum. There is no supporting evidence they are any use. Twice as much in the PAR spectrum is looking good though. With 400ppfd the bottom end of useful, 600 is good and 300 really isn't. The graph on the right plots out various levels of illumination, and is generally accepted
View media item 18049929
QB's are just the same parts laid out differently. Neither suck any more than the other. I have about 700ppfd over a meter, using around 400w, which can close the gap to under 12 inches. Opening up the prospect of a crop above a crop, within a 2 meter high tent. It's really about goals

Last edited:

TPFTFW

Veteran
I’ll have to tell these buds on the edge of my per light canopy that they’re not getting enough light then
sorry guys, I’ll get you better light next time f-e said so.
41B980B2-E5EE-4E67-8521-CA8FAA762805.jpeg

And I didn’t mean to say QB’s suck, just that everyone I know that’s been using them for over 2 years is wanting to switch to bars now
so just from a buying standpoint yes they will work but personally I think bars almost always will have a better spread regardless of your antics aside

Last edited:

toohighmf

Veteran
You buy a cheap light and you will be regretting it when it needs warrantee service/support.
Is this an opinion based on your own experience with cheap lights vs expensive lights? Have you actually used a kingbrite light and had a problem?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have not needed to make a warranty claim with KB, but I have bought spares. One of the reasons I went with the 288 QB is because it's the only recognised form factor. They stock parts for self builds so spares should be around for a while.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I’ll have to tell these buds on the edge of my per light canopy that they’re not getting enough light then
sorry guys, I’ll get you better light next time f-e said so.
View attachment 18714453

And I didn’t mean to say QB’s suck, just that everyone I know that’s been using them for over 2 years is wanting to switch to bars now
so just from a buying standpoint yes they will work but personally I think bars almost always will have a better spread regardless of your antics aside
Best buds I have seen in my life. A picture of health and vitality. I take it all back. You must get wrist ache trimming them.

TPFTFW

Veteran
Best buds I have seen in my life. A picture of health and vitality. I take it all back. You must get wrist ache trimming them.

these are like half oz sour buds
All on the edge of where you say light isn’t suitable
a lot thicker and more dense then they look

EDBA231A-0EBE-444E-A109-2AA417E33F6C.jpeg

edit: more photos of these sarcastically great buds
A809023E-22A4-4F61-8031-93BE812D2714.jpeg
D6117530-F4D3-4151-9FCE-D6F53328CF91.jpeg
301D4484-9CDA-469E-B6C9-D29FDD61DD15.jpeg

and here’s a top that has literally been at the level of and also on top of the two lights it was in between
All 71 days and definitely we’re grown in zones you say won’t break records or is sub par
944A4E76-F47A-40FE-A1C6-E8E3E73EBC70.jpeg

Last edited:

toohighmf

Veteran
I bought a 720 watt full spectrum 12 bars osram chips. a knock off of gavita on alibaba 500 US delivered to my door. they have a warehouse in canada .with in a week delivered to my door .Ive done two runs with it and plan on buying another . very happy with the results.. View attachment 18714808 View attachment 18714809
beautiful. What strain? Do you have a link to the light? Type in gavita 720w and get the phone book! Thanks!

Bluebic

Budu muset říct těmto pupenům na okraji svého světelného baldachýnu, že pak nedostávají dostatek světla
promiňte kluci, příště vám pošlu lepší světlo, až to řeknem.
View attachment 18714453

A nechtěl jsem říct, že je QB na hovno, jen to, že každý, koho znám a kdo je používá přes 2 roky, chce teď přejít na bary
takže jen z hlediska nákupu ano, budou fungovat, ale osobně si myslím, že tyčinky budou mít téměř vždy lepší šíření bez ohledu na vaše dovádění
Budu muset říct těmto pupenům na okraji svého světelného baldachýnu, že pak nedostávají dostatek světla
promiňte kluci, příště vám pošlu lepší světlo, až to řeknem.
View attachment 18714453

A nechtěl jsem říct, že je QB na hovno, jen to, že každý, koho znám a kdo je používá přes 2 roky, chce teď přejít na bary
takže jen z hlediska nákupu ano, budou fungovat, ale osobně si myslím, že tyčinky budou mít téměř vždy lepší šíření bez ohledu na vaše dovádění
Heloo what is Bar? think hps? thanks