What's new

ALL ABOUT BONSAI MOMS/MUMS

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Getting there ;)

Remember to pinch out any growth pointing in, gotta keep that cup shape open for new leaves to grow into. ;)

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I don't keep moms/clones for security reasons, but if my state ever goes green you can bet I will be keeping a special clone like this. Very cool thread that is still just as relevant as when it was first posted. A well deserved bump.

G

I had seen this last year but wasn’t ready to take the plunge to do clones and moms. Now I am I had a heck of time finding this again because I got hung up looking in the propigation area. Need a sticky link over in that one as well maybe if the mods agree.

White Beard

I’m still working my way through, but...

I’m still working my way through, but...

im also having problems finding square pots. ive looked all over saturday tryin to find them. even the local nursury didnt have them. im currently using plastic coffee cans and im afraid that when i rootprune it will be hell comeing out the pot.
They’re called bedding pots, nurseries use them. I’m sure someone else will have mentioned, but here’s a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Gage-Durapot-Square-Plastic-Nursery/dp/B00VZHKXMC

White Beard

Still catching up...

Still catching up...

How do others like myself create these PDF files of web pages ?

At the top of the message list is a drop-down menu “Thread Tools”; click that, and the first item is “Show printable version”; click that, and you’ll be taken to a printable B&W concatenation of the entire thread, minus all the per-page cruft.

You can print it to a pdf file, or your browser may have a ‘Save as PDF’ option.

Easy, and nothing special needed.

Last edited:

beta

Veteran
Support a family owned business that’s NOT amazon.

Make sure they pay their employees a living wage first, though - If they don't pay the local folks they employ that make their business possible at least $15/hr, why should you care that they're 'local'?

50Dogs

just a question

just a question

hello sorry but I can't find the answer.
The method described here is very useful and interesting thank you very much!, but I wonder the plants with 3-pointed leaves and the dwarfism does not compromise the health and yield of the plant?
it's because I bought clones from a dealer and 90% were dwarfs with 3-pointed leaves and the yield seemed to me lower than seed plants, as if they needed more care and adaptation.

beta

Veteran
hello sorry but I can't find the answer.
The method described here is very useful and interesting thank you very much!, but I wonder the plants with 3-pointed leaves and the dwarfism does not compromise the health and yield of the plant?
it's because I bought clones from a dealer and 90% were dwarfs with 3-pointed leaves and the yield seemed to me lower than seed plants, as if they needed more care and adaptation.

In my experience bosai / dwarf / rootbound plants do indeed yield much less unless you let them grown out to full size in a big pot before you flower them.

Douglas.Curtis

In my experience bosai / dwarf / rootbound plants do indeed yield much less unless you let them grown out to full size in a big pot before you flower them.
I've found this to be true as well. Once the plant has been in bonsai mode for a while, it takes a few weeks for it to get back to regular growth rates.

Prune the roots as if you were refreshing the soil, then transplant to the larger container. A good veg nutrient profile and plenty of light. :)

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I've been dealing with some gifted mothers were not well kept and went into a stagnant mode where they were not dead but not growing either. One of the mothers has been well cared for with roots trimmed, repotted, good light, good feeding, and after three and a half months it is still stagnant. The six others did come around, but it took 8-10 weeks.

It's not just trimming to keep mothers, but over all care.

Douglas.Curtis

Indeed, health and care makes a big difference. A well set up SIP is great for getting plants to bounce back. :)

G

I started doing this a year ago and this is the easiest and most practical method for me being of limited space. I keep them small and not with a large light. I WANT them like this. Slow growth because all I want are cuttings for clones to grow out normally. I also keep 2 of each for now. I do have to trim off leaves that yellow but the new growth is fine. I feed them and my oldest one is just over a year old. I have learned weed is a hardy plant and don’t sweat it if they have some leaf yellowing. The cuts I take grow just as well as if the moms were 3 feet tall.