What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Air cooled reflector testing with Digital footcandle meter

Cannabean

That's interesting; what results about the Radiant 8 did you like? :chin:

I wanted 8" air cooling. If you look at the three 8" hoods tested in this thread you see that the silverstar 8 did horribly as far as coverage and i wouldn't even consider a coolsun 8 after how it performed as far as reflectivity.
And I love it! the exterior top of the radiant 8 doesnt even get warm, I can't believe it!

B

badugi

Gotcha.

What type of setup do you have, and is having 8" over 6" important? (Why?) Not arguing or saying 8" is bad, just wondering what your reasoning is as I have no experience with 8" equipment.

D

dongle69

When i move to 8" hoods i'll be able to step up to a 675-747cfm fan giving me the amount of suction/pressure i need to stay safe.

:2cents: LBM

Hey, you don't need bigger hoods to take advantage of a more powerful fan.
It would help you now, even with the 6" hoods.

Cannabean

Gotcha.

What type of setup do you have, and is having 8" over 6" important? (Why?) Not arguing or saying 8" is bad, just wondering what your reasoning is as I have no experience with 8" equipment.

littlebigman pretty much said it, but it was a combination of factors for my particular setup.
I'm a closet grower with a 1000w and use my fan to vent the room through the reflector(room air>fan>reflector>outtake). My closet is rather large combined with 1000w heat and socal weather made me decide on an 8" fan. I don't suppose 8" is important to me vs. 6", its just more efficient for my setup and the fan I already had.

pico

Veteran
Holy cow, only 1 hood running 8" hood and 8" fan....that is overkill if you ask me. I don't think there would be much if any difference in room temps with a 6" setup.

~fvk~

the Lion is going Guerrilla...
Thanks to this thread, I learned SS2's were the best overall choice when it comes to quality and a 600 watt foot print... But the outlets are way too small and I'm not going over this thread again. Anybody have any other suggestions? I don't mind doing things the hard way... But whatever.

B

badugi

pico, did you ever get those MaverickSun reflectors?

Those Magnilume's look very similar to the SuperSun 2's. I really like those adjustable sockets. For a 1000w, not so necessary, but for most other wattages I think it will help.

Awesome thread bro! Very imformative, answers alot of questions on hoods that i've had before.

Have you tested the Valuebrite 6" Air Coolable hood by chance? Thats the hood i'm running atm, seems fairly well built and a very nice hood for the price but i'd like to know the test results on it if possible.

-SweetIndica

OK I read through this entire thread. Pico did u ever put up ur results from the light diffuser. I bought SS2's on ur recommendation and I have to put the 18 inches away and still get some burn with my 600w's. So, am looking into the diffusers.
Any ideas anyone?

pico

Veteran
Alright peeps, don't take any offense, but stop asking if I tested every god damn reflector on the market. All the tests I did are posted in this thread, nothing more, nothing less. The other people testing hoods here can not compare their results to mine and I can not speak for their testing methods.

tricksr4kids- you get burn at 18" with 600w lights? strange, I have never burned a plant with a 600, even at 12".

B

badugi

I know the test results weren't posted, I was just wondering if you ever got them as I saw the back and forth and then darthvapor's plan of receiving them at the shop...

So is that a no with the diffuser? Sorry for asking you posted several times that you had one. I didn't need numbers just whether or not it worked as advertised. The strain I grow is super sensitive, I have AC hoods and temps are super cool they just don't like a lot of light.

pico

Veteran
Tricks- That would be no. I did use it once, and the table did look nice. Maybe, just maybe there was less of a hot spot. Can't say for sure. They are cheap, maybe try them out yourself this time around on a light or two and see what you think.

I finally got around to testing the SS2 against the SS magnum xxxl 6" hood. I used 1000w hps lamps and basicly the same grid as pico. Lets just say that I`m glad that I have a good relationship with my hydro shop. I bought 5 of the magnums before the test and was able to return them all. Test was at 3`, 2` and 18". The SS2 was not only better in EVERY spot, but sometimes by a lot. No comparison IMHO...

G

hum

hum

I just bought a new SS2 and a magnum xxxl 6". As soon as I pick up a decent light meter I`ll compare the 2.
I finally got around to testing the SS2 against the SS magnum xxxl 6" hood. I used 1000w hps lamps and basicly the same grid as pico. Lets just say that I`m glad that I have a good relationship with my hydro shop. I bought 5 of the magnums before the test and was able to return them all. Test was at 3`, 2` and 18". The SS2 was not only better in EVERY spot, but sometimes by a lot. No comparison IMHO...

Would love to see some numbers for comparison.:2cents:

pico

Veteran

Nice work. SS2 is badass.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Any users of Sun System II hoods, how far apart is the best placment length wise?
(End to end, with a T inbetween)

I'm using 1000W systems and it will be mounted on a light rail mover, so the light should be able to run a little lower and closer to the plants. I have a T duct fitting that is two six inch sides and one 8-inch outlet to use in between. Currently, with only the T and no spacers, the duct is 20-inches long.

I haven't got the power run yet so I haven't gotten to turn it on yet, but,,, how does the spacing sound?

The room wil be 6ft by 8 ft, the light rail wil be with the 8 foot length, running about 5 ft. the hoods are tied together with 2 bars and the duct work

thx!