What's new

2024 Market Gardens

hfm

@oldmaninbc Caught this little one in the garden today.They don't quite get big enough as the littlest cottentail youll ever see.Some sort of pigmy mom lives in a disconnected down spout by our house.Shed fit in one hand, two of these would fit the same hand,must've had babies.
If I couldnt take care of animals all the time anymore,I'd feed the strays ;) .Hope your flowers are starting to pop!
1000018817.jpg
1000018794.jpg

OleReynard

@oldmaninbc Caught this little one in the garden today.They don't quite get big enough as the littlest cottentail youll ever see.Some sort of pigmy mom lives in a disconnected down spout by our house.Shed fit in one hand, two of these would fit the same hand,must've had babies.
If I couldnt take care of animals all the time anymore,I'd feed the strays ;) .Hope your flowers are starting to pop! View attachment 18997915 View attachment 18997916
Nice strawberry already, dam.
My plants are only 4 leaved, rhubarb is doing great.
Nobody has anything in the grown here in Central MN.
I see they found shrooms below the Twins.
Only fish biting right now are crappies and ones you cant keep ie: pike and eyes
We're still in the mid 30's at night

hfm

Nice strawberry already, dam.
My plants are only 4 leaved, rhubarb is doing great.
Nobody has anything in the grown here in Central MN.
I see they found shrooms below the Twins.
Only fish biting right now are crappies and ones you cant keep ie: pike and eyes
We're still in the mid 30's at night
Wow, what a crazy time huh :) Our lettuce is bolting already.About 2 weeks or so ahead of last year.I had some big river fish biting the other day,everything seems to be moving here.Thats rad about the mushluv,I think they'll be in every woodchip bed in every state before long ;)

oldmaninbc

If I couldnt take care of animals all the time anymore,I'd feed the strays ;) .Hope your flowers are starting to pop! View attachment 18997915 View attachment 18997916
That is a cute little bunny and trying to protect them...there are many dangers out there for a little bunny and giving a helping hand, what is wrong with that. Good on you.

• Love
Reactions: hfm

oldmaninbc

Wow, what a crazy time huh :) Our lettuce is bolting already.About 2 weeks or so ahead of last year.I had some big river fish biting the other day,everything seems to be moving here.Thats rad about the mushluv,I think they'll be in every woodchip bed in every state before long ;)
Our weather is making the big change in a couple of days, the temps will be going up and sunny skies.

A few years back our temps went up to 49C/120F, I hope that does not happen again but some are suggesting it's possible. I can understand now why old people die in hot weather.

Your lettuce is already bolting, that's crazy.

hfm

Oh wow, up there shouldnt get that hot!Well let's hope that doesn't happen again.Do you have your sun chairs out ready to soak it up? Have any plans to go fishing this year?

oldmaninbc

Oh wow, up there shouldnt get that hot!Well let's hope that doesn't happen again.Do you have your sun chairs out ready to soak it up? Have any plans to go fishing this year?
It can get quite hot where I live for about 10 weeks. My spouse moved here from Texas and was surprised by the summer heat. We have watering restrictions in place already, 3 days a week(odd days) I can water twice a day from 6-10 AM or PM. We have a decent growing season and that's why there are many orchards and vineyards.
I am a sun loving individual, I never thought I would experience heat that would bother me but when it hit 49C man oh man that changed my mind.

My spouse has to stay out of the sun, she has problems with skin cancer.

The lake I am showing is only a 10 min drive and has Kokanee, which I like to eat. The trout I would release but keep perch as well.
There are public washrooms at this lake, which my wife appreciates.
I see people out on their float gear catching some good size trout this time of year.
The government and a fish club look after the lake and keep it stocked, they pump oxygen into the lake as well. It's not an exceptional lake for fishing but good, easy to get to and back
1715034373963.jpeg

hfm

I've only been in that type of heat a couple times,wasn't anything worth doing again.
That's some pretty country,sounds like it has the bulk of what you and your partner are after too ;) Do you get gnarly fires around there?

oldmaninbc

I've only been in that type of heat a couple times,wasn't anything worth doing again.
That's some pretty country,sounds like it has the bulk of what you and your partner are after too ;) Do you get gnarly fires around there?
Yes, fire season is a concern.

We were evacuated last summer for almost 2 weeks. The fires got as close as the other side of the road. You would be standing outside and ash would be falling like snow. The smoke can get so thick you can't even see the mountain on the other side of the valley and our valley is very narrow 1/4-1/2 mile wide.

I just checked on the BC Wildfire Service webpage and there are over 100 active wildfires right now.
Some forest fires smolder over winter.

Are natural disasters natural to your area.

hfm

We were evacuated last summer for almost 2 weeks. The fires got as close as the other side of the road. You would be standing outside and ash would be falling like snow. The smoke can get so thick you can't even see the mountain on the other side of the valley and our valley is very narrow 1/4-1/2 mile wide.

I just checked on the BC Wildfire Service webpage and there are over 100 active wildfires right now.

Wow,yeah I don't miss those big western fires.Spent some time in Montana and you would quit normal work to fight fires or watch the country burn up.Gzz losing all your flower to smoke damage :(
We have some stuff like flooding and tornados.2 inches of rain in an hour and what not.I love to watch the lightening shows :)

Here's one of our larger crappie from the other day.
1000018834.jpg

oldmaninbc

Wow,yeah I don't miss those big western fires.Spent some time in Montana and you would quit normal work to fight fires or watch the country burn up.Gzz losing all your flower to smoke damage :(
We have some stuff like flooding and tornados.2 inches of rain in an hour and what not.I love to watch the lightening shows :)

Here's one of our larger crappie from the other day.
View attachment 18999522
The vineyards are effected by fires(the smoke) especially after the wine goes through it's aging process.

We have a river that runs by the village sometimes it floods, I think the worst to happen was when there was a huge ice flow that came over the banks and did quite a bit of damage. The greenhouses and nursery were all but destroyed.

I am not familiar with crappie. What type of gear do use for them? Do you eat them?

Watching lightening storms was something I did growing up in Ontario, sitting in a garage with the big door open was something we did, it was kind of exciting. We don't get those kind of storms here.

On the west coast of Vancouver Island people go and stay at resorts for storm watching in winter, over the Pacific Ocean

hfm

The vineyards are effected by fires(the smoke) especially after the wine goes through it's aging process.

We have a river that runs by the village sometimes it floods, I think the worst to happen was when there was a huge ice flow that came over the banks and did quite a bit of damage. The greenhouses and nursery were all but destroyed.

I am not familiar with crappie. What type of gear do use for them? Do you eat them?

Watching lightening storms was something I did growing up in Ontario, sitting in a garage with the big door open was something we did, it was kind of exciting. We don't get those kind of storms here.

On the west coast of Vancouver Island people go and stay at resorts for storm watching in winter, over the Pacific Ocean
They'll bite just about anything smaller then them.I use a few rattle lures for bass,these were with a crawdad.Yes you can eat them,you want to throw them in a pail of clean water for a day or two, or a water trough.Then they'll taste clean.Just need to let them cycle clear water through their gills.
What part of Ontario?Spent some time out of kitchener/waterloo.

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran

We got hammered with smoke last summer from Canada here in central New York

oldmaninbc

We got hammered with smoke last summer from Canada here in central New York
The smoke can travel great distances and depending which way the wind blows determines who gets to spend the time shrouded in smoke. Both my wife and I have lung diseases, we sure as hell don't like it. All winter we wait for summer to get outside. Then the fires start and we are stuck indoors, except for brief periods.

Sorry for the smoke, we get smoke from the US when the wind blows north from California fires. Then we get smoke from our forest fires. The whole summer can be filled with smoke until early fall. We already have over 100 fires burning in BC. They already have us on watering restrictions, I just looked it up a few minutes ago and they have us down to 2 days a week on Sun and Wed from 6-10am and 6-10pm. It takes massive amounts of water to fight fires.

xtsho

Is that where you live?

Yes, Portland Oregon. The wildfires were pretty bad a few years ago and the smoke rolled in. It stayed like that for about ten days. It sucked but knowing that some people were losing their homes and everything they owned made having to deal with some smoke seem insignificant.

Fortunately no fires/smoke as of now and the garden is growing. Supposed to be 90°f today and nice weather for the foreseeable future. I'm finishing up the raised beds and getting seeds in the ground.

garden05062024d.jpg

garden05062024c.jpg

garden05062024f.jpg

garden05062024g.jpg

oldmaninbc

They'll bite just about anything smaller then them.I use a few rattle lures for bass,these were with a crawdad.Yes you can eat them,you want to throw them in a pail of clean water for a day or two, or a water trough.Then they'll taste clean.Just need to let them cycle clear water through their gills.
What part of Ontario?Spent some time out of kitchener/waterloo.
I have not heard of flushing a fishes system with clean water, that is a good idea. My son use to catch crayfish(crawdad) I would not eat them because of the mud tasting flavor, wonder if that would work on them.

I use to live in the Kitchener/Waterloo area for maybe a year or so, right in the heart of downtown. My sister lives there, has been there for decades. From the age of 11-23 I lived in Guelph just down the road from KW. I was born in Guelph but for the first 10-11 years lived in the Puslinch area south of Guelph, it was very rural at the time, went to 2 different one room schoolhouses
I use to attend concerts at the University in KW.

It has been many years since I have travelled back that way, health conditions make travel difficult