What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nano machine styled pc case

dtoker

hi guys heres a few pcs of the case ive been converting, i havent got the time to add captions at this moment but will be doing it soon so any questions feel free :rasta:

-power led still works-

-plug a few cables in and who would know :joint: -

-running with 1 30watt daylight cfl-

-lights off-

-heres the back compartment showing the 2nd exhaust fan, carbon scrubber, junction box, timer, 12v adapter and the 3x fan speed controller-

-heres the carbon scrubber in there-

-this is the sheet of plastic i used x2 (some kind of cross-stitch template from the hobby store (£0.50)-

-i cut around a cd and also a strip of approx 65mm then used a hot-melt glue gun to stick then together. i then used a smaller template (a plant pot) to cut the inner circle and also a strip of approx 40mm. i then stretched some womens tights over them all filled the bottom with 10mm deep of carbon. next up i put in the middle section and filled the sides up-

-once i had pumped a load of hot glue in between them it was sealed-

-here is the base of the cd spindle with a big hole cut out and stuck in the case. i also cut about 10mm of the clear plastic twist-on lid of the cd spindle and glue and sealed it to the carbon scrubber, so with a simple twist its in and out of the pc case for cleaning or maintenance!-

-this pic shows the main wiring in the junction box and the plug in timer i destroyed(detailed labelled pic coming soon)-

-here is the light trap i fashioned out of a bit of the waste pc case. this stops the light coming directly out of the intake holes and onto the floor-

-this pic shows the main fan that pushes through the scrubber-

-this is the 240-12v adapter i got out the bin at work with the 3pin plug section removed and mains cable soldered on for connection into the junction box. this mod also allows me to fit the adapter flat in the case-

-this pic shows the sheet of reflector i used, out of the skip at work from a burnt out low bay hps-

- i measured and cut out a section from the sheet using tin snips the bent it in the middle, the i pulled the sides out untill i was happy with the shape-

- this pic shows me bending the reflector into place( this requires no fixings as its held by the tension of the reflector against the rolled-in edges of the case-

-here it is firmly in place-

Last edited:
K

kidkannabis

dam Dtoker :bow: :respect: where do i begin?? This is a very nice nanomachine replica.:headbange You def kno what your doing...Much Kudos to you sir....but please enlighten me on your techniques.Im also in the process of building a PC grow box stealth as possible with the works.i like everything about your design, i mean EVERYTHING. How did you do all your wiring? whats that coming from the charger? how many fans r u workin with?? Nice scrubber design, looks like a CDr case. What is your reflector made of and howd you do it?? :chin: :chin: Forgive me for all the questions but truely inspirational..im really interested and curious on your electrical work...if its not too much to ask, may u please explain in detail.I dont see a power strip and only 1 charger, sooo hows it all work???!!! :smile: Once again truely inspirational replica, its just so :cool: ....keep us updated...

BTW: what growing method?? Strains?? LST or ScrOG??
Ill be :lurk:in' in on this one..... :joint:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Did you hand make that scrubber screen? And where'd you get that baby batwing reflector? You win my semi bi annual weekly (and generally worthless) MacGuyver Award. Good work.

DigiTM

I've got to say, I really like how you have the lights built.

Where'd you get the mounts for those? And how is it wired to the back section? Pretty damn creative if you ask me. :) Will be watching this.

dtoker

cheers for all the response's guys :D, im just going to go through and explain my pics then ill try and answer all the personal questions

yeknomssa

Nice work, dtoker!! Very very clean. Whenever you post some captions, i'll be here lol. I'll be starting my very own PC case soon and i'd love to follow some of your designs.

harold

very very nice :)
does it get hot in there? if it gets a bit stuffy you might want to consider a custom made piece of glass to seperate the bulbs from the plants?

dtoker

here goes:-

oaklandish - nice one, i recommend a nice big leather chair cos this is gonna be a good one lol

kidkannabis - cheers for the long one bro and the kidn words lol, the wiring was quite simpel to be honest mate, just used some standard 2 core and earth cable and a .49p junction box. the power comes in via the standard power connector, goes to the junction box, around the timer circuit and back in the junction box then from there up and over to the front of the case for connection to the lights. i also used a thermal fuse in the junction box and inside the first lampholder in the circuit to cut power shud things get really hot in there. the 12v adapter is also wired into the junction box on the perminent input terminals (so the fans still run when the timer says the light is off)
im working with 3 fans in total, a very powerful 80mm(not sure what cfm) pushing through the scrubber, a slightly lesser powerful 80mm mounted in the place of the pc's old power supply and a small 40mm fan for internal air movement. all controlled from here...

your right mate the scrubber is connected via a cdr case. the reflector was made from a old reflector out of a scrap light :rasta:
im not sure what strains yet mate, possibly mandala satori. i will be lst'ing and probably scrogging in a screen ive yet to make but will use the same method as i did in my other box(link in sig)

freezerboy - cheers for the award man lol :wave: picked up the scrubber screen from hobbycraft(UK shop) for next to no money, its some kind of cross stitch/knitting thing. homemade batwing reflector aswel mate as explained above :)

digitm - cheers mate. how do you mean the mounts for the lights can you elaborate? its simply wired into the back section by a glued cable running over the top of the case.

yeknomssa - hi there mate cheers for stopping by!

harold ;) - temps are good in there mate with 2x 30-watters, seem to be about 4 degrees c over ambient room temps. thats with the fans nearly running at full power. if i added a 70w hps of something in future how would u recomend circulating air if a glass screen was added bro?

RudieJ

Very cool! I love Nanomachine clones (I built one myself and will be building another after my current grow in a different case is over). I'll definitely be keeping up with this one.

Your carbon scrubber is great! I will use your design for my next scrubber build, for sure.

harold

Ill try and find an example somewhere, but you basically have the glass cut too small on one side so air comes in through the grow space at the bottom of the cab giving air to the plant, then it goes through the gap in the glass, past the bulb and then out through the top extractor fan... i hope that makes sense.
Is this cab for veg only?

DigiTM

Well That answered my question. :) I just couldn't see any wiring for them on the sides or anything. I just didn't consider that it might be on the top. haha.

dtoker

rudiej - cheers for the props bro!

harold - yeah i get what u mean mate i think, hopefully i wont need it in here though :) yeah this cab is guna be for veg and clones only i think. im tempted to grow in there now though as its guna be empty untill the plants in my other box are finished hmmmmm :rolleyes:

digitm - yeah mate the cable just neatly goes over the top of the case and into the back section, held into the corner neatly by hot glue.

yeknomssa

the captions you added helped explain a lot heh. whenever i finally get around to building my pc setup i may pm you about some wiring, i like how you made it so compact, and i'm no electrician lol

dtoker

yeknomssa - feel free bro anything i can help with hit me up. im still meaning to create a labelled wiring diagram but i havent had the time yet. its all quite simple though really mate :) its a shame in a way that the back section is so big, taking up grow space because as you say the wiring is compact and takes up virtually no space but the carbon scrubber forced me to make it that size :(

Last edited:
K

kidkannabis

yoh Dtoker....quick question man.... im lookin to set up my power and wiring just like yours if u dont mind...its very convenient and perfect for a PC grow...so would u b kind enuff to tell me whered you purchased your junction box and thermal fuse?? And would it be too much to ask for some help on wiring the junction box with power and wiring the AC adapter and timer to it... i read and read tryin to figure it out, even googled it, but not much luck..maybe you can change that... a diagram would really help... hopefully you can help me out bro since im not an electrician but im handy... thanks mate

dtoker

harold - yeah man, ive done it the wrong way round really lol. oh well i may flower some beauties in the pc case, not sure yet. ive just germed 2x hashberry seeds so see how they go! cheers for the link bro ill check that.

kidkannabis - yo yeah mate ill help you all i can, i purchased the fuse's and junction box from a shop called maplins in the uk - im sure theres similar shops if your in the US. ill try and get a detailed wiring diagram done this weekend to help you out with yours. so simple though bro, into the junction box and straight out to the 12v adapter, from the junction box round the timer circuitry and back in for connection to the lights.