What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thoro's Electrical Safety Thread

G

i will be posting up links and what not to help the fellow growers here at Icmag.
i feel there is too much misinformation circulating around here and frankly, it worries me.
so, being the resident sparky around here, i feel the need to help as many people out as i can

What's wrong with using an extension cord or a power strip to run more electrical equipment?

In solving the problem of too few outlets, you may create another—an overloaded circuit. If too many pieces of equipment are plugged into the same outlet and they're all on at the same time, more current may be running through the outlet than it can handle. When that happens, the wiring or the outlet will overheat and this could potentially create an electrical fire. Overloading is even more of a problem with extension cords.

Why is an overloaded outlet a problem?

An overloaded outlet can overheat and potentially create an electrical fire.

To prevent this and other electrical hazards in your home office, review the list of potential hazards and then take steps to remedy the situation.

Potential Hazard: Overloaded circuits can cause an electrical fire.
What To Look For: Outlet or wall is warm to the touch; outlet is discolored; circuit breakers frequently trip or fuses frequently blow; a burnt smell of insulation is noticeable.
Remedy: Have an electrician run a dedicated circuit to your home office and install additional outlets in the room.

Potential Hazard: Overloaded extension cord can cause an electrical fire.
What To Look For : Extension cord is warm to the touch.
Remedy: (1) Use an extension cord with the same or larger wire size as the cord being extended. (2) Since extension cords are designed for temporary use, have an electrician install additional outlets in the room so you don't need to use extension cords at all.

Potential Hazard: Ungrounded outlets that will not protect you from an electrical shock in the event of a short circuit.
What To Look For: Equipment cord has a three-prong plug, but the nearest outlet has only two slots for the plug.
Remedy: (1) Inspect wiring at the outlet to see if there is a ground wire. If there is a ground wire, replace the existing outlet with one that accepts a three-prong plug, and connect the ground wire to the outlet. (2) In older homes, where there may not be a grounding wire, have an electrician run a new circuit with ground to your home office and install new outlets.

Potential Hazard: Improper placement of extension cords can cause a fire or cause someone to trip.
What To Look For: Extensions cords running through walls, under rugs or furniture, across doorways, or draped over heaters or equipment.
Remedy: Try rearranging office furniture; or better yet, add more outlets in the room.

Nearly one third of American households now have a home office. It may be located in a spare bedroom, a den, or part of another room. In most cases, these areas of the home were never wired for the amount of electronic equipment used in the typical home office. What's more, the same electrical circuit sending power to the outlets in your home office may also be powering outlets in other rooms. That's why it's important for you to you inspect your outlets, cords, and home wiring before adding more equipment to your home office.

What types of problems are caused by power surges?

Temporary power surges can damage equipment and cause computer programs to lock up and become corrupted. Many people assume that power surges are caused mainly by lightning strikes, but 80 percent of them are generated from within the home.

How can I protect my home office from power surges?

There are several devices that can protect your home from power surges. The first line of defense is an inexpensive power strip that incorporates surge protection. These devices cost between $20 and $80. Telecommuters can purchase power-strips with the maximum amount of surge protection, including protection for telephone and data lines.

Another option is to install surge-protected wall receptacles. "Quad receptacles" that have four outlets with built-in surge protection can replace standard electrical outlets, helping to reduce the jumble of wires that results when too many plug-in devices are used in the home office.

For more robust protection, check into two other devices: a panel-mounted surge protector installed next to the circuit breaker panel, and a meter socket surge arrestor installed at the electric meter. These devices provide whole-house surge protection and should be installed by a qualified electrician.

I have problems with brownouts. What can I do?

Blackouts and brownouts, now a more frequent occurrence in certain parts of the country, can also damage home office equipment and cause the loss of important data.

The best solution for preventing this danger is to purchase an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). Not only does a UPS device allow time for an orderly shutdown of a computer when the power goes out, it also regulates the flow of electricity, smoothing out the current before it goes to equipment. Some UPS devices also incorporate surge protection.

Will surge protectors protect me from overloaded circuits?

Surge protectors and UPS devices protect equipment, but they do not protect the telecommuter from the potential hazards of an overloaded wall receptacle. If too much equipment is plugged into the same outlet, more current may be running through the outlet than it can handle.

There are several telltale signs of overloading: an outlet that is warm to the touch; an outlet that is discolored; circuit breakers that frequently trip or fuses that frequently blow; a noticeable smell of burned insulation; an extension cord that is warm to the touch.

To prevent these electrical hazards in the home office, call an electrician to install a dedicated circuit to the home office. And while the electrician is there, consider installing additional outlets in the home office to eliminate the use of extension cords.

Prevent Electrical Problems

Studies of electrical fires in homes show that many problems are associated with improper installation of electrical devices by do-it-yourselfers. Common errors that can lead to fires include the use of improperly rated devices such as switches or receptacles and loose connections at these devices. Both can lead to overheating and arcing that can start fires. Fires are still caused by people using the wrong size fuse or even putting a penny behind a fuse when they don't have a spare. These practices are very dangerous. The fuse is a safety device designed to limit the electricity carried by the circuit to a safe level. Electricity and water are a bad combination. All electrical devices installed outdoors should be specially designed for outdoor use. Outdoor receptacles as well as those in kitchens, bathrooms, and anywhere else near water should be the ground fault circuit interrupting type (GFCI).

G

awesome info dude! cant' wait till it gets all juicy for more info!
yeah, i was searching around and wanted to do something like this for a long time.
you can never be too careful when it comes to electricity and you.
keep work/grow areas clean and clear and be mindful of what's supplying you with power!

A+ Thoro! keep it going

- SubN

G

some scans of the nec

some scans of the nec

im no photo shopper, but i managed to scan a few important pages from the NEC.
i hope you can read these and they help.
these can save your life and your grows.

the first 2 are branch circuits requirements for hid's

fuse sizing on the bottom right

world famous art. 310.16 wire sizing

if anybody is good with resizing pics so they can be read, the help is appreciated!

Last edited:

shaolin36er

Here we go

Here we go

Great Thread T
thorodee said:

fuse sizing on the bottom right

world famous art. 310.16 wire sizing

if anybody is good with resizing pics so they can be read, the help is appreciated!

G

Electrocution of the Human Body

Physiological effects of current density on the human body are shown in the table below. Contrary to popular belief, it is the current - not the voltage - level which is responsible for effects. According to Ohm's Law, of course, a certain voltage is required to cause the necessary currents to flow. Values show vary depending on the body.

Onset Current Level
(mA) Effect
1 Threshold of sensation
8 Mild sensation
10 Painful
13 Cannot let go
21 Muscular paralysis
20 Severe shock
38 Breathing labored
42 Breathing upset
70 Extreme breathing difficulties
90 Ventricular fibrillation
100 Death

just had a brownout...this time the 1k hid shut off and didnt turn back on, it made a loud unhappy buzz(which scares me)..no cords, or wall circuits are hot.. but when i leave my apt during the day i have a 13 amp grow going full tilt (a 95 cfm dayton going twelve hours a day non stop/ 1 k),and a 5 amp air conditioner...all lights are off etc when i leave the house... Not sure if my fuse's have blown but blackouts/brownouts are relatively frequent... Can my ballast start a fire? its in an empty wardrobe outside grow with an enormous hole cut in the top of it (not hot in there )... My circuit has a 30 amp supply.. How safe am I? About to go to work..and really hoping i dont come home to that buzzing and no light...

yeah, That stuff is pretty difficult to understand for the NON-electrician.

Anybody have any examples of how to figure out if your using too much

power through an outlet. For example. . . . Total amps of equipment

per outlet must be < X.........or ohms or whatever.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
when a hid ballast has a brownout, it won't fire back up right away.
it has to cool off and recharge, this can take up to 15 minutes or so.
no worries man, as long as you wired it right.

Last edited:

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a 15amp 120v circuit will give you 1800 watts
you dont want to go over 80% of that rating with lighting.
so try not to draw more than 1440 watts
20amp 120v circuit = 2400 w
80% of 2400w = 1920 w
these numbers would be for a dedicated line to your grow.
if your just plugging into a plug that happens to be near the grow, most likely its on a circuit with other plugs in the house.
you would have to take that into consideration.

Ozymandias15

I'm just about to fire up a 5Kw grow. the main fuse in the house is 100A (240v)and there are a few on the circuit board that are obvioulsy smaller (which i am going to have replaced). The room is going to be run off of 2 dual sockets (so 4 sockets on 2 wires). there are going to be two 2.5Kw heaters that will mainly be on in the night when the temp drops. There is a 300w dehumidifier and all of the usual low power pumps and so on. There may be a AC unit if it gets too hot in there during the day. then there are the 8 x 600w lights which will be running off of 2 contactors so that i can split the load between 2 sockets.

Basically i just want to know if i'm going to fry my house!

Any advice is much appreciated people, thanks.

D

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
your about 45 amps at 240v. thats guessing 5a on the a/c. 90amps at 120v.
thats 5k in heat=21a @ 240v or 42a @120v
300w dehumidifier @120v=2.5a
8x600w @240= 20a(give or take)
@120v= 40a (give or take)
if you're running everything at 240v, you'll be better off.
but you have to take into consideration the load on the rest of the house.
if everything in your house is electric, meaning no natural gas, you will have a higher draw on the panel.
if your not running the heat at the same time as the lights, which i doubt anyway, then those draws will cancel each other out. i'm just throwing the total draw out there for you.

Last edited:

billbob

Ozymandias15 - you are going to be using a lot of power. Those heaters use as much as your 5 lights. You need to set up a subpanel from your breaker box and run everything you can at 240. Use a 60amp for the subpanel. On the subpanel you can have multiple breakers for what you need. Use heavy duty timers that will hold that much power. Like the Intermatic ones are good. If this makes no sense to you, then I think you need to do more research first. You have a lot of power going. Those heaters alone are probably overkill - almost 5000watts