What's new

Gas powered pump thread..

Fast Pine

Heres mine...

I mounted it to an old backpacking frame..The pump is roughly 70Lbs..5HP.

I plan to use this baby to get some stream water up the hillside..It can pump close to 100feet verticaly..Its a trash water pump, so im not toooo woried about filtration..I will have some trash cans tucked into the bushes at the garden..Pump the water up to the cans, mix in some soluable nutrients, and hand water or run dripsystem off the trashcans..

Anybody else using or used this method?
It will be my first time..Kinda like a lil experiment..This watering method looks to be GREAT, due to the fact that in the high dry desert..

Are there any ideas to be tossed around?

Thanks. :wave:

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Start scheduling appointments at the Chiropractor now.

Gas pumps smaller than this can be found, Homelight and Honda both make make some that are truely compact, and mor suited to Guerilla growing applications.

Check out this link here- Honda WX-10

7710wx10-large.jpg

^This pump can move 37 gallons a minute, lift water 118' above it(Total Head Lift), and suck it up 27' below it(Suction Head Lift), all this and it weighs only 13.4 lbs! Also this pump is adapted to garden hose fittings easily.

These are the types of pumps to use for guerilla growing, they are still loud though, I'd be nervous to use them more than a few times a year for filling resivours.

Last edited:

Fast Pine

BACKCOUNTRY said:
Start scheduling appointments at the Chiropractor now.

Gas pumps smaller than this can be found, Homelight and Honda both make make some that are truely compact, and mor suited to Guerilla growing applications.

Check out this link here- Honda WX-10

7710wx10-large.jpg

^This pump can move 37 gallons a minute, lift water 118' above it(Total Head Lift), and suck it up 27' below it(Suction Head Lift), all this and it weighs only 13.4 lbs! Also this pump is adapted to garden hose fittings easily.

These are the types of pumps to use for guerilla growing, they are still loud though, I'd be nervous to use them more than a few times a year for filling resivours.
Haha..Seventy pounds isnt that much..

After rigging everything up, it wasnt bad at all. I could hike for at least an hour with this thing on my back..An Im a skinny white boy.

I know about those little honda pumps...Do you have any idea how much those cost..They are just short of a grand a piece..Thats WAAAAAAAY too much for me to spend..Im a guerilla on a budget..

Besides..I was at the honda dealership, and the service guy started one up for me...Its just as loud as a chainsaw...Mine is run by a lawnmower engine, and is quieter. It has a nice muffler. Not as high pitched..The sound shouldnt travel near as easy as those little pumps..Plus the honda's arent trash water pumps..The pump is too pricy to not be able to suck up trash/river water..If my $800 dollar pump shit on me because it sucked up a rock or something, I would feel like an idiot..My pump was $200, and moves something like 14,000 gallons an hour..It has a 2" inlet and outlet, but has garden hose adaptors..

Engine type: O.H.V Engine 1cylinder, 4 stroke

Flow rate: 14,760 GPH max. flow

Displacement: 163ml

Oil capacity: 0.6 L

Fuel tank: 3.6 L

Compression ratio: 8.5:1

Pump lift: 85ft

Suction height: 26ft

Self priming with ceramic-carbon seal

Low oil shutdown

Includes strainer, couplings and hose clamps
...................................................................................................

Thats alotta pump for 200 bucks..

Last edited:

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
For pumping in water? Or for pumping water out of a rez? Or what? That comp ratio is a bit weak for a NA engine but I dont know small engines well, my twin turbo car has that same ratio but pumps in two atmospheres worth of air lol.

Last edited:
G

Fast Pine said:
Haha..Seventy pounds isnt that much..

I know about those little honda pumps...Do you have any idea how much those cost..They are just short of a grand a piece..Thats WAAAAAAAY too much for me to spend..Im a guerilla on a budget..

:

The wx10 goes for around 300$ and it will fit inside of most backpacks so you can haul it stealh style runs real quiet at halfspeed .

Fast Pine

Fast Pine said:

:
Woah!!..I read yer post way too fast BC..I didnt see the link to the price.. Im a stoner..

Last edited:

Fast Pine

Fast Pine said:

:
I was waaaaaaay off on this statement..I guess i was looking at some other model of pump..I found out that honda offers 16+ models of pumps..The wx-10 is under $400..Thats a great deal, and it is small, portable, and lightweight..But it wasnt made to pump river water..If the inlet hose(strainer) hits the bottom of the stream, an sucks some rocks, or some debris floats into the strainer the pump may sustain severe dammage..Particles will quickly destroy the wx-10, wx-15, and any other brand or model of pump that isnt a trash water pump.(construction grade).These kind of pumps can handle solids with ease..

Honda offers a trash water pump, there smallest is the WT-20...It's 104Lbs!, and $1300!!!..Mine was $200, and weighs 70Lbs with a full tank of gas.

In my oppinion, using a pump that wasnt made to handle river water is a bad idea, no matter how light weight..So far, I havent seen any that are lighter than mine..EIther way..Im satisfied with the size..Even if its a little too big..It will be that much more powerful..Getting me in and out quicker..:confused:
.........................................................................................

Lets get some ideas flowing, about techniques, and tricks..BC, I know you have some tips to add here..

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Fast Pine said:
...But it wasnt made to pump river water..If the inlet hose(strainer) hits the bottom of the stream, an sucks some rocks, or some debris floats into the strainer the pump may sustain severe dammage..Particles will quickly destroy the wx-10, wx-15, and any other brand or model of pump that isnt a trash water pump.(construction grade).These kind of pumps can handle solids with ease......In my oppinion, using a pump that wasnt made to handle river water is a bad idea, no matter how light weight..So far, I havent seen any that are lighter than mine..

Well, to start with, I have been pumping crrek water to irrigate my large garden for about 23 years now, from a creek with rocks and all other types of debris, and I use a full size 3 hp gas operated Homelite pump(not a garbage pump) to push enough water for a 5000sqft garden over 100 yards. I've replaced the pump part 2 times in that many years(thats pretty good life span). By using a long fine screen you can keep 99% of the dangerous particles out of the pump, keeping the suction head off the bottom of the stream will eliminate the rest of the danger(basicly place the suction head on a large rock off the sand/gravel bottom).

You don't need a garbage pump to pump water from wild sources, Garbage pumps are for pumping garbage, Irrigation pumps are for pumping irrigation water.

Fast Pine said:
EIther way..Im satisfied with the size..Even if its a little too big..It will be that much more powerful..Getting me in and out quicker..:confused:

My experience with the little Honda pumps came from using one of them to supply a livestock barn with water from a very murky and debis filled pond, it pushed water with tremendous pressure over 100 yards, with a 75' elevation gain, it would have done twice that distance with ease. Just make sure you make or buy a long fine mesh screen for the suction head, and keep it off the bottom, trust me its safe!

I'm glad you have a strong back, but I'm sorry 70lbs is heavy, and your pump size is over kill in my opinion. Any pump is loud, no matter what the pitch, and won't really make a difference.

I'm sure you will haul that thing around, and probably have a great garden, but its my duty to share my experience with you, that said good luck brother.

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Another thing I have to ask you is what are you going to do if someone sees you hauling around a 70lb(w/o fuel?) trash pump on your back? I wonder what they would think?

Fast Pine

BACKCOUNTRY said:
You don't need a garbage pump to pump water from wild sources, Garbage pumps are for pumping garbage, Irrigation pumps are for pumping irrigation water.
Pumping garbage?:confused:

Then what type of application is a trash water pump for?..Im talking about pumping water from a stream/river thats 4 feet deep, maximum..

Kinda like this..
9463DSC00640-thumb.JPG

I dont want to stand in the middle of the cold stream holding the strainer up outta the rocks..It would be impossible to just set it on a rock, in order to keep it up off the bottom and away from debris..The stream's current moves way too fast..Theres sediment and debris constantly being washed down stream..The kind of debris that would hurt one of those little pumps..I cant immagine that the streams are too different up there in oregon?

The wx-10 isnt a propper irrigation pump for my guerilla growing needs..Its for clear, mucky slimy, and silty water.....NOT for high solid content water, like a high mountain stream. :chin:

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/pumcho.asp( from the link you provided)
Note that the WX series is NOT for agriculture..

Read what it says about trash pumps..In a guerilla growing situation..A trash water pump is a irrigation pump..Just my two cents..As I am not speaking from experience, and you are..

I have paramount respect for yer advise, oppinion, and experience BC..I understand that you know yer pumps and dont mean any disrespect toards you..

Last edited:

Fast Pine

BACKCOUNTRY said:
. Any pump is loud, no matter what the pitch, and won't really make a difference.

Hrmmm..
In my experience..its been alot easier to hear the guy 10 houses down using his chain saw, than his lawnmower.:confused:..Mine has a nice muffler too. At 1500 GPH, I will be in and out in a flash..Noise wont really be an issue...Even then..The 5.5HP pump isnt as loud as the WX-10.

As far as people seeing me with the pump stream side, or on the hike..

Waterings will be done late in the evening or very early morning...Maby night time..All depends on the spot...I will prolly cover the pump with some canvas or somethin while on the hike..I may dig a hole and stash it at the spot..All depends....Thats why I started this thread..To get ideas on how others have done this in tha past..Im no pro..

Last edited:

Fast Pine

BACKCOUNTRY said:
Well, to start with, I have been pumping crrek water to irrigate my large garden for about 23 years now,.
My god..Youve been pumping water from that stream for as long as ive been alive..I feel like such a rookie.. :pointlaug

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Trash pumps are not meant to push water up hills and distances, they are meant to be used for pumping sewage other chunky liquids up and out of holes quickly.

Example: The smallest Honda trash pump has a 5.5 Horse power engine, and can push water 98 feet uphill. The Wx-10 has a 1.1 Horse power engine and can push the water 118 feet uphill.

The same Honda trash pump can create 42 PSI of pressure, the WX-10 creates 51 PSI, keep in mind the WX 10 has only 1/5 the power of the trash pump.

What this means is you are going to be hauling around a 70lb pump with less overall preformance than a pump that weighs 13 lbs. Thats 53 lbs that could be exchanged for a 3 pound(or less) sediment screen.

If the sound is that much of a problem, I am sure a guy could rig up a lightwieght muffler to use on site.
I'm thinking of a small motorcycle or lawn mower muffler here maybe?

The Honda pump is rated by Honda as "general purpose", and can be used for the irrigaition pump of any reasonable Cannabis operation. It will drive a very large system with no problems.

Last edited:

Fast Pine

BACKCOUNTRY said:
Trash pumps are not meant to push water up hills and distances, they are meant to be used for pumping sewage other chunky liquids up and out of holes quickly.
If that were true, then why does the stats on the honda and my trash pump boast a much higher vertical lift than suction?

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Dude, the pump will work even in your situation, you just gotta use the right protection, it can be done.

I'm explaining all this more for the benifet of other growers interested in this subject, than to convert you. Its obvious you have a trash pump, and you intend to use it.

I'm not trying to insult your intellegence here, just laying down some food for thought for the thread, from experience.

Fast Pine

BACKCOUNTRY said:
Example: The smallest Honda trash pump has a 5.5 Horse power engine, and can push water 98 feet uphill. The Wx-10 has a 1.1 Horse power engine and can push the water 118 feet uphill.

What this means is you are going to be hauling around a 70lb pump with less overall preformance than a pump that weighs 13 lbs. Thats 53 lbs that could be exchanged for a 3 pound(or less) sediment screen.
OK..So the trash pumps can lift water through a 2'' hose up to ~100 feet vertical..Keep in mind that a two inch hose is flowing alot more water..The efficiency of the trash pump is better..

The extra twenty feet provided by the small pumps is miniscule.

The extra 50 lbs is worth it when it enables me to get in and out in no time, and suck rocks, care free while im at it. :dueling:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
How could you possibly need more than 37 gallons per minute? Thats way more than plenty, if you need a pump bigger than that, you are growing too much.

Fast Pine said:
If that were true, then why does the stats on the honda and my trash pump boast a much higher vertical lift than suction?

Yes, it does push the water higher than it sucks, but....you are using 4 more horse power to do it than a smaller pump that does it better. The point I was trying to get across was the fact that the trash pump is all set up for moving large quanities a short distance, alot of weight and power is used to do a job you don't need to do, why haul the extra weight.

Last edited:

Fast Pine

BACKCOUNTRY said:
Dude, the pump will work even in your situation, you just gotta use the right protection, it can be done.

I'm explaining all this more for the benifet of other growers interested in this subject, than to convert you. Its obvious you have a trash pump, and you intend to use it.

I'm not trying to insult your intellegence here, just laying down some food for thought for the thread, from experience.
I appreciate and understand that,,Yet I still think that a trash pump is ideal in the average guerilla growing situation..Even though its heavier, the trash pumps are cheaper and safer..(my, food for thought)

Fast Pine

BACKCOUNTRY said:
How could you possibly need more than 37 gallons per minute? Thats way more than plenty, if you need a pump bigger than that, you are growing too much.

I dont need any specific GPM..I definantly am not a cash cropper or anything..I just need a pump that will run safely in a high mountain stream..Hence, a pump that will handle solids..hence, a trash pump..

And like I said..I already have the smallest trash pump I could find.:confused: