What's new

Can O2Grow Replace Pumps and Stones?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am an experimenter as much as a grower. I grow for very light personal use only, so I don't need to produce large harvests, though that would be nice to have once again

There's an old saying "Pioneers get the choicest land, but also the most arrows"

Anyone who has followed my last grow know I have gotten lots of arrows. All from growers who have spent years dialing in their hydro methods and are not willing to explore the new, and quite possibly the future of hydro. I get it, but why bash me for trying? I made a lot of errors that caused root rot, but were absolutely not the fault of the O2G. The cause was having the water table too high which caused the coco pellets and rapid rooters to stay wet 24/7, thereby causing root rot at the very base of the stem/root interface. This made h2o2 soaks difficult to solve, however...

One plant from my last grow had enough roots to nurse it using only my O2G 2020 (2 emitters). Some 6 weeks later it now has tiny but very nice tight buds with lovely white fluffy pistils. Time to take the plunge, and start a new grow using only the O2Grow 2020

Today (08/01/2019) is a new moon, so I dropped 4 large White Buffalo seeds into ~4 oz glass of water with a diluted mix of Emerald Harvest Root Wizard and Golden Goddess

It will be a few days before cracked seeds are inserted into Rapid Rooters so stay tuned
[/SIZE]

how much you cost it?too expensive only testing but intresting system i dont still use only that,mayby dripfeed system and o2 thing in reso where come back water break the surface,I think the purpose of the air is also to move the water.i keep my reso like boiling i dont never have to use bleach or oxy my nutes

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Quick Update

The gifted White Buffalo seeds have not cracked in 3+ days

this morning I dropped 6 White Widow X G13 male as a back up

As a last experiment with this plant, I decided to change nutes from Hydroponic Research V + B to NPK RAW Bloom mix, which has humic acid instead of fulvic. It has no Ca, but the instructions suggest adding it, so I added some Emerald Harvest CaMg

What I don't like is the Bloom mix turns the liquid dark brown (even at half strength= 1 tsp/2 gallons, whereas the V + B is clear, which is great for checking root health

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Neither seed set has cracked, so I decided to add a bit of the bloom nutes from my rez, oonly because of the DO

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sadly, I just threw in the towel on the White Buffalo. They were gifted without knowing the whys and wherefores from whence they came into his possession. They had no mottling, and were pretty light grey, but looked viable

Moving on: Mine have just started to crack

bt420

Would be nice to see real life field testing on this device... out of the box kinda solution.. pros and cons?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
BT420 Sadly, the powers at O2G are very secretive as it relates to using it for cannabis

On a positive note

Instead of just tossing the White Buffalo I put the seeds in coco outside and completely forgot about them. Well today I noticed one seedling in very dry coco. Immediately gave it a drink of nutes maybe the others will appear too :woohoo:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Quick update

Seeds I dropped on the new moon have not broken ground, so I dropped 5 more 2 days ago

Also, the White Buffalo survivor was in coco, but yesterday I gently removed it and put it into a net pot with ornamental stones and into the O2G powered nutes. The leafs have grown since

Here's a pic of the plant and the tap root. Keep in mind as soon as the root is out of the water any root hairs collapse onto the main taproot.

View attachment 503083

View attachment 503084

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As of about 2 hours ago, 5/6 seeds are now 1/4-1/2" above ground

Not seeing any growth spurt from the White Buffalo just yet. Probably still getting acclimated going from coco to hydro

FYI

being gifted 10 Hindu Kush sometime in October. My source is well versed, a heavy smoker for at least 40 years. He rolls fat assed Js! I have shared a J or 2 with him; I take 1-2 tokes and can barely stand up. while, he finishes the rest. He retired recently and has ben RVng around the NW USA. These should be really high quality seeds, but I would be willing to trade 5 of them for 5 very high quality sat dom seeds, as I don't have a use for this much couch lock product

I researched HK today Seems like its not for people without significant pain One of the original landrace strains that precipitated the popularization of cannabis throughout the world, Hindu Kush is a potent pure indica. It is indigenous to the Hindu Kush mountain chain that forms the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan. “true” Hindu Kush may not be widely available in the Western Hemisphere. Nevertheless, Hindu Kush is a relatively pure strain, simpler and often more potent that the novelty crossbreeds that continue to multiply in today’s competitive cannabis market. It is prized for its heavily sedative, almost narcotic properties and its highly resinous flowers. The THC composition of Hindu Kush is typically measured at between 15% and 20%. Hindu Kush is not recommended for active daytime use. Instead, it works well as a numbing agent for chronic pain, an anti-nausea treatment, and as a way to relieve stress and anxiety. Negative effects include dry mouth and eyes, occasionally accompanied by paranoia and dizziness. A few users have also reported experiencing anxiety from larger doses of this strain. Hindu Kush is particularly helpful for users with insomnia, as large enough doses can induce sleep.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was gifted 4 White Buffalo seeds, but they didn't crack (see picture). I tossed them in coco outside and forgot about them. One day I noticed one had germinated and was ~ 1" tall. I removed it from the coco and put it into a net pot with small ornamental stones and into the SWC (shallow water culture) tote using a single O2G emitter.

Unfortunately, it took 4 days before I noticed the plant was losing color. Turned out the water level was too low and the tap root was barely getting wet, which was killing the plant. It still hasn't fully recovered, but it should

I also added one air stone at the opposite end just to agitate the water, although a small pump might be the better choice. The air pump is on the same cycle timer as the O2G which is 30 minutes on/3 hours off, but O2G says to use a separate timer and run during off times from the O2G

5/ 6 WH x WW pollinated with G13 seeds (see picture) are now ~ 1+" tall; one has yet to toss the shell and is a biit shorter

I have transfered 2 to the SWC along with the WB.

View attachment 503500

View attachment 503501 View attachment 503502

View attachment 503503

RockinRobot

There's an old saying "Pioneers get the choicest land, but also the most arrows"

Anyone who has followed my last grow know I have gotten lots of arrows. All from growers who have spent years dialing in their hydro methods and are not willing to explore the new, and quite possibly the future of hydro. I get it, but why bash me for trying?

No one bashes you for trying and none of us are afraid to try new things.

The simple fact is, if you can't provide a stable environment (which you can't), none of your experiments amount to shit. You have been totally unable to control the temperature of your grow, PERIOD. It has been your primary issue from day one. You also don't have a proper flood tray, where your water level is controlled by the height of the overflow tube. I won't even begin to go into all the reasons your ornamental stones are sub par at best.

Plants have certain limiting factors, some more important than others. Most important is Light. Next is Temperature. Then Nutrients.

When you can keep a stable temp, a stable Ph and complete at least 1 good grow, maybe then you can see if your O2grow makes a difference. Until then you're not doing anything but throwing money away.

With all the money you have wasted on garbage over the years, why not invest a little on a new AC for your grow area.

Finally in a Flood and Drain system you don't need any air at all in the res. So therefore you'll gain nothing by raising the level of dissolved oxygen in the water. The whole point of flood and drain is that on the drain cycle, fresh air is pulled into the roots. The roots get their oxygen directly from the air. I have proven this myself in side by side grows. 1 res with air the other nothing. No difference in harvest.

DWC is the ONLY grow that requires heavily oxygenated water to stop the roots from drowning.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Today's pics .

The top photo is the nursery. I hand feed with nutes from the rez so they are O2G enhanced. I keep nutes just below the top of the stones to encourage the tap root to seek it out. After taking this pic, I carefully removed the shell, but no cotyledon, so it's likely stillborn

The plant in the lower left is the White Buffalo. Fingers crossed. It appears to have stabilized. The top plant on the right was inserted a couple days ago and seems to be acclimating well. The one below I just put in this morning

View attachment 503507 View attachment 503508

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, it seems relying on the O2G alone (at least until the root system has exited the net pot) is a bad idea

I am using one stone (at the opposite end of the tote from the emitter), but just added another as 1 plant was completely wilted this morning

The water level was low, but having air stones to pop bubbles at the bottom of the net pot would likely help draw down the tap root

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Still having issues with young plants wilting, even though I added the second stone, BUT, the pump was still on the same timer as the O2G. I am now running the air stones 24/7

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very frustrated. It was already too late when I added an air stone and should have added two. Not even sure they would have helped as the waterline was a good 1" below the net pot.

If the pump is big enough (mine is) as the bubbles burst a small amount of moisture gets up into the net pot, keeping the RRs damp. However, when the bubbles are constant it is highly likely that the RRs will get soaked, and stay soaked, especially if the water line is too close to the Rapid Rooters (which is why I put a layer of small stones between the RR and the bottom of the net pots. If the water line is too high the RRs saturate, causing root rot that destroyed my last 3 grows. This time, the opposite, the RRs dried out

Having multiple air stones popping the surface provides ample moisture above the water line, though I will no longer run it 24/7, to avoid over saturation. Thinking to use the pump more like a F & D and cut on time down to ~30 minutes on and ~ 2 hours off. This should eliminate the RRs from saturating, which caused root rot in my last 3 grows. This will be similar to F & D times. It should solve that problem

These are tough setbacks, especially since I had nice roots developing out of the sides of all 6 RR this time, but they dried out before reaching the nutrients below.

On a positive note: .One plant is doing well, maybe one more will survive. Either way, I dropped 6 more seeds this morning

Man.. you’re costing yourself a lot of time (and money) trying to get seedlings established.. I’m not against seeing if this stuff you’re talking about could be viable in place of other forms of oxygenation, but I think you need to get a root mass established before you go mucking around and mad scientist-ing it. Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke and the seedling stage is so delicate (and short) that I don’t really understand the sense in doing what you are. Germ the seeds in some regular fashion, let em veg for a couple weeks in coco, or some aero/hydro soiless medium then start your experiments.. I think you’ll find you’ll actually have viable specimens to experiment with and study at that point. Just my 2cents, you do you brother.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man.. you’re costing yourself a lot of time (and money) trying to get seedlings established.. I’m not against seeing if this stuff you’re talking about could be viable in place of other forms of oxygenation, but I think you need to get a root mass established before you go mucking around and mad scientist-ing it. Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke and the seedling stage is so delicate (and short) that I don’t really understand the sense in doing what you are. Germ the seeds in some regular fashion, let em veg for a couple weeks in coco, or some aero/hydro soiless medium then start your experiments.. I think you’ll find you’ll actually have viable specimens to experiment with and study at that point. Just my 2cents, you do you brother.

You're 100% correct. The O2G is best once plants have well established roots

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yesterday I noticed the 2 plants weren't taking off as they should. Close inspection I have a small net pot with the Rapid Rooter inside a 4" net pot, but did not see any horizontal roots exiting either of the RRs, neither had I put sufficient amount of ornamental stones in either. That's done, but plants look a little bleached out today, probably some shock involved