What's new

Which landrace had the biggest impact

U

ureapwhatusow

in regards to the exponential success of indoor marijuana horticulture?

There are big common denominators in the characteristics of most commercial hybrids

L

levant

Yes you can imagine when the Indica first arrived and everyone was used to
growing "ms. lanky and long", what a contrast to come across this squat resinous one
"From the mountains".

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Skunk #1- Practically all dutch and European genetics have been crossed with this plant to make them more productive and uniform. Hard not to give it to a plant that pushed indoor growing as much as this one did. Peace!

afghanica

Agreed on the Afghan, but the Thai landraces deserve honorable mention in terms of impact on indoor cultivation.

All of DJ Shorts work descends in part from Thai landraces.

All the Haze varieties have some Thai.

Even Northern Lights is Thai x Afghani.

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
thats probably why we are experiencing a bottle neck of genetics now. time to introduce some new genetics both sativa and indica. there are many hot spots for landraces that haven't really been explored fully.

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
We need to discover some ancient cannabis seeds in amber or something and bring back a extinct line!

lol, can be a great idea of marketing on catalogs, "the lost weed" or "jurassic trichome". Maybe we can see it soon, ask royal teas Pirate138.

So, i can't resist. Sorry.

Ten years ago, you can see "we have produced and breeded since 20 years a pure afgani... etc .. etc..". But on ten years, it's possible to develop another pure strain who can act as a basis. Why it don't happend ?

Actually i only see exotic strains (when they are true exotic strains, but in 2008 i'm sure we are a very little amount of growers who can see who is who in landraces offer.. i'm sorry if these words sound bad for new growers), in the hands of little breeders who fight with theyr facilities for do it possible.

I don't talk about new standarts, it take me more than 10 years to create one with a pure sativa line and i have created only one in my life for the moment... because i'm just outlaw and not rich. I have choose to sell seeds and not weed. If it's possible for me, and i'm little (and i'm shit because i'm little for certain bigs. Launch a contest with me, i can fight you with your own strains dude) why the offer is limited on an aghani genpool in majority ?

Now about the share, and the paradox of demand. Since OG golden age i can say : we have all the strains needed for renew totally the actual genpool. Don't imagine a big dark holes or a fatality. Strains are here, see around you with objectivity. See ICmag! I see tons of very interresting sativa strains for example...

Now the share between friends subject and a minimum of honesty. On the growers who possess sativa seeds, how many grow it ? A minority who truly like that. It's the same with indica landrace.

Grow a White Widow (first worldy known strain in my mind) and a pure indian strain (south east). Compare and cry. You choose the WW and i can understand it, you're a grower who risk jail for have plants in your home. You want the maximum, you can't wait n generation for have a finished product, and you're not necessary skilled for it.

Now the other side. Wich breeder can take risk to breed a pure sativa/indica lines for years and renew pleasure standart? The big or the little ? :D lol

Think you have the choice between an afgani work and a colombian work for share seeds by your business... you choose the afghani because customers will go to other company if you choose the long flowering colombian strain. And you don't want spend time and money to reduce it too. You don't have the time to run the colombian project in background for create a more manageable strain (since 95?). It's for that you reject the fault on customers choice. It's an ourobouros.

In my mind it exist a lot of possibilities.

First, we are all sacred stoners who change taste each year and this turn the head of breeders who can't known what to do.

Two, bad renew of teams. Lack of skills.

Three, a general fear to explore new territory of smoke on the two sides.

Four, ...

In all cases, please be sure we don't need additionnals strains. We have.

ps : i invite growers to smoke a pure afghani from crop. Not the afghani standart created and breeded since ..... the true afghani landrace. Is this strain the only one who must be dominant in your outlaw crops ? It can't exist another? Or it's because Sensi Seeds have breeded with sucess this strain ?

best vibes

Matty

Pirate138 said:
We need to discover some ancient cannabis seeds in amber or something and bring back a extinct line!

AHMEN to that.

I'm not a new smoker, but I am very knew to knowledge about cannabis.

What exactly defines a "Landrace" Variety?

Chaghatai

Can't say one in particular. The mexican, columbian and thai sativa's are responsible for much of the original interest in the plant. Also that's where we get smoking seedless buds as opposed to hash. "Sensimilla". By "starting it all" that's a huge contribution to the scene.

Then Indica's from the hash-producing regions of the world. They introduced couchlock and the heavy production. Revolutionized indoor growing.

Then we get two varieties in particular...

Northern lights was a major commercial indica strain that spread the indica gospel.

And as mentioned before, Skunk #1 - good ol' skunkweed, that famous hybrid showed what a hybrid can do and was the fiirst stable hybrid. It too caused a revolution of it's own with it's sativa components to it's buzz and extreme vigor. Also hit the dutch scene like a bomb!

When it comes to individual landraces like Highland Oaxacan, Chocolate Thai, Panama Red, Santa Marta Gold, Hindu Kush, Afghani etc., I can't say any one stands out. they each had their part in history.

Not to mention that many of the Hash strains are constantly re-imported, so it's hard to know any particular variety's impact.

Oh and Matty, A "landrace" is a strain of herb that has been grown and cultivated in a particular region long enough to localize. That is, to gain adaptations that make it a good strain to grow in that locale, as well as becoming a distinct variety. Back in the day, the central and south-americans imported cannabis to make $. But since then, they have developed those imports into their own local varieties. Ironically, they are now all but lost, since the same growers are more and more importing modern strains to increase their $$.

/bumped because I like history discussions.

Last edited:
L

larry badiner

Couldnt we in theory use radiation to mutate a new species of cannabis?

mazzakush

^unless cannabis anti-cancer (aka anti mutation) characteristics pull through.... but if they don't... please don't introduce any nasty green irradiated nastiness into the gene pool.... unless it likes make you immune to everything nuclear or other such dankness

Evil 1

UV radiation normally degenerates the RNA in plants there will most likely be a few that will adapt to it, alot of high altitudes plants have developed a waxy or hair like coating both of which personally I wouldn't like and thats as far as my knowledge goes but in theory it is possible I suppose. :joint:

Tokermon

Rainman said:
Skunk #1- Practically all dutch and European genetics have been crossed with this plant to make them more productive and uniform. Hard not to give it to a plant that pushed indoor growing as much as this one did. Peace!

skunk#1 isn't a landrace

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
All the Landraces in Sk1,Haze and Northen lights made the biggest impact...No contest...The Afghan(Mazar-I-Sharif?)being the cultivar that made the outdoor plants short enough to bring indoors and actually get a decent yeild under Lights.

Latest posts

Latest posts