What's new

Punto rojo selection and repro

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I don't know how many parents cbg used, i just used one male and one female. Sounds like the male was a good one, @Sub24ox7 grew the congo x punto rojo I made and he seems to love it but will let him speak on that himself.

I had skinnier girls but they were culled early, pearls and slight bananas out, stickier as well and more sweet aromatic resin, too bad I didn't hit them too, leaf overall was much smaller and thinner.
I do know Charlie used 4 different PR lines to make the ultimate PR repro. But as for how many parents for each gen, idk

blondie

I grew PR F2s I guess you call them and have pollen from several males. I’m guessing the original from cbg was about 2014 . Seeds I grew were f2 from 2016 about. I have a handful of F3s as well I made. No thick leaves in any I grew. All clearly narrow leaf. All green. Clear clean high. Excellent preservation project. I’m along for the ride on this thread since old cool is in good shape.

OldCoolSativa

Here are the seedlings at 14 days from the freezer. Heavy rain here but they seem to be happy. They all have two nodes now and are about 3-4" tall. Just starting to get the faintest whiff of sativa aromas from the bunch. They'll probably spend another 2-3 weeks in these 4" pots before ip up-pot most of them.

PR seedlings 14 days.jpg

OldCoolSativa

I went on vacation and left the plants alone for a week. Here are a couple pics from July 7th and July 14th.

PR seedlings 18 days.jpg

PR seedlings 25 days.jpg

They're mostly on node 4-5, though one of the runts is still at node 3. The tallest plants at 8-9" are #s 7, 22, 23, 31, and 37; all from @Limeygreen's seed. The shortest plants at 4-4.5" are #s 4, 5, and 16, all from CBG seed. The plants from CBG seed are generally:
  • noticeably shorter and less vigorous than those from @Limeygreen's seed (in the green pots),
  • less resinous than @Limeygreen's seed, and
  • have thinner early leaves than @Limeygreen's seed.
The plants are collectively giving off some nice, fresh sativa aromas but I'm going to hold off on doing any stem rubs as long as I can. Nowhere near any indication of sex at this early date. I double checked a few of the plants that had the best resin coverage on the first leaves and they still seem to be showing good resin for such young plants. I'll probably up-pot these in another week or so and cull a few while I'm at it. I'm having second thoughts about culling the runts; I'd welcome feedback on that issue.

Last edited:

funkyhorse

I went on vacation and left the plants alone for a week. Here are a couple pics from July 7th and July 14th.

View attachment 18865451

View attachment 18865452

They're mostly on node 4-5, though one of the runts is still at node 3. The tallest plants at 8-9" are #s 7, 22, 23, 31, and 37; all from @Limeygreen's seed. The shortest plants at 4-4.5" are #s 4, 5, and 16, all from CBG seed. The plants from CBG seed are generally:
  • noticeably shorter and less vigorous than those from @Limeygreen's seed (in the green pots),
  • less resinous than @Limeygreen's seed, and
  • have thinner early leaves than @Limeygreen's seed.
The plants are collectively giving off some nice, fresh sativa aromas but I'm going to hold off on doing any stem rubs as long as I can. Nowhere near any indication of sex at this early date. I double checked a few of the plants that had the best resin coverage on the first leaves and they still seem to be showing good resin for such young plants. I'll probably up-pot these in another week or so and cull a few while I'm at it. I'm having second thoughts about culling the runts; I'd welcome feedback on that issue.
Dont cull anything if you have the place to grow all of them
You never know
It looks clear from your post that first batch F2 done by Limegreen with a lot of heart and passion looks better quality in your eyes than the 2018 CBG batch made maybe with not so much passion for weed but more passion for hype and sales and after it the seedbank vanished

I grew from the latest Red Snake released in 2019 immediately after the 2018 batch you are growing went off sales and the Punto Rojo pheno I got from the Red Snake was dissapointing to say the least
So probably when the first Punto Rojo release was made there were much better quality plants and seedstock than the latest batch and whoever had the passion of Limegreen growing that first batch might have a better opinion of the released line compared to what was released in 2018

So dont cull anything, let them live if you can afford such a luxury and good luck and best of vibes for all your grow

This was my Red Snake Punto Rojo dream which turned a nightmare after smoke testing, I am sure you will get much better quality from the first batch
Punto rojo dream (2).jpeg

blondie

I agree with funky. Keep them all if you can. They look pretty good. I have an outdoor Oaxacan plant that seriously lagged behind two others. Just this week it’s now surpassed the others in height. Are you planning to mix the repro seeds and limeygreens?

OldCoolSativa

me personally I know the slower flowering and longer flowering ones are always my favourite without fail, indica or sativa even blind testing.
Amen brother. And that really makes selection quite simple: cull the earliest flowering plants until there’s room to flower out those that remain. Of course that’s a lot of work to keep a large number of jungle plants under control until late September, and a lot of clones to cut and root. But I knew this wouldn’t be easy.

OldCoolSativa

Are you planning to mix the repro seeds and limeygreens?
Yes. As far as I'm concerned, they're all punto rojo, and I'm essentially doing a pheno hunt. I plan to open pollinate the outdoor plants that flower latest, and to do a few 1:1 pairings with the plants that I flower indoors. As @Limeygreen indicated, he seems to have selected a good punto rojo male; this grow will also be a very useful progeny test for his male keeper.

OldCoolSativa

PR seedlings 34 days.jpg
Here's a pic from today, 35 days after I first popped the seeds. I'm going to up-pot them to 7-inch pots in a couple days. I'll need to mix up ~ 30 gallons of soil!

The cotelydons have yellowed and shriveled, and the first leaves are yellowing. These plants have probably seen ~10 inches of rain in the past month, so I'm not surprised if they're running a bit short of nitrogen. I did feed them a weak worm casting tea yesterday and they seem to have responded, then we had another deluge! Looks like no rain for the next week, so it'll be good growing conditions.

My observations are revealing some significant differences between the plants from 2018 CBG seed and the plants from @Limeygreen. First the height, measured yesterday: the numbers back up my visual assessment that the CBG seed plants are shorter and less vigorous:
  • average height of all 38 plants is 8.93"
  • average height of 20 CBG plants is 8.14"
  • average height of 18 LG plants is 9.82" (21% taller than the CBG seed plants)
Here's a histogram showing height of all 38 plants. I didn't take the time to do separate histograms for the CBG vs LG seed plants, but it's definitely a bimodal distribution.

height histogram 7-21-2023.jpg

Another interesting characteristic is the red- vs. green-stemmed plants. Yesterday I noted the plants that showed red stems (usually starting at the third node and above) and saw a good correlation with the red vs green observations I made when the first leaves were first starting to show. As of yesterday, 11 of 20 (55%) of the CBG plants showed red stems, while only 1 of 19 (5%) of the LG plants had red stems. Clearly, @Limeygreen must've used a green pheno for his selected male. I think he only used one male and a few females but I'll let him chime in with his response.

Other observations:
  • The overall aromas are intensifying and delicious but I haven't yet attempted to sort out different aromas of different plants. I'll let them get bigger in larger pots before I do that.
  • It's much harder to differentiate the plants based on leaf morphology now that they're larger. I checked for skinnier vs fatter leaves at the fourth node yesterday and was barely able to discern much difference amongst all the plants. Not anywhere near as revealing as first-leaf morphology.
I'll post up some pics next week after I up-pot the plants. All 38 of them. :oops:

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
I used a one to one mating as that's all that I kept in the end, very narrow selection of course. The male is a gold pheno and the female is a green/gold pheno, both tall and vigourous for sure female will put out big colas and clusters and the male is a stud with big floral clusters but i dont have pictures in flower, hes still alive and kicking.

If i recall I got second generation seeds, the last released by cbg might be 3rd or 4th generation but just a guess on my part.

Looking forward to the results you get, I know one person growing them outdoors on the westcoast and gets great results outdoors, I believe he said about 14 weeks flower when forced outdoors, my female goes 20-21 weeks indoors for me.

Latest posts

Latest posts