What's new

is there any substitute for Canna Nutrients that still offers that sweet, full flavour??

I think it’s funny when people think sugar makes weed taste sweet. Ever burn sugar? Hint, it doesn’t smell sweet.

Sucks your mom didn't know how to bake. If I grow a strain that tastes and smells exactly like Divinity candy, I guarantee it has sugars in it.

Dude on internet: Carmel tastes bad

Tobacco world: Unsweetened tobacco smells and tastes like ass.

You should buy some sweetened pipe tobacco and see if it makes your house smell like cotton candy or something. So you can prove yourself wrong.

Hiddenjems

Burn sugar. It makes that hard black crust that is the opposite of a light grey ash. Burning sugar has an acrid smell.

Big difference between cooking and burning, at least in my kitchen. Maybe your mom burns everything.

mm4n

Burn sugar. It makes that hard black crust that is the opposite of a light grey ash. Burning sugar has an acrid smell.
I just tried to burn sugar: it's melted and smells like burnt candy. Less acrid smell than I expected :unsure:

Hiddenjems

I just tried to burn sugar: it's melted and smells like burnt candy. Less acrid smell than I expected :unsure:
Heating sugar, and oxidation that results in leaving a black mass of acrid combustion products is two different processes.

If your joint burns to a clean grey ash, there is little to no sugar in the cannabis. If it has a black mass stuck to the end as you smoke, it’s full of sugars, and probably wasn’t done.

This is why people wait for the plant to use all its sugars before harvesting.

mm4n

Heating sugar, and oxidation that results in leaving a black mass of acrid combustion products is two different processes.

Try dumping some sugar in the next joint you smoke if you think it’ll taste great. 😂
:cool: For the sake of science: a hit from the bong with weed & brown sugar (sucrose + 5% molasses).

Sugar.jpg

It tastes worse than it smells, but honestly not that bad (sweet hydrocarbon). Although I think I have understood the type of burnt rubber flavor you are referring to, typical of certain overfertilized plants.

The effect was very tachycardic 💓

stiff

Veteran
Sugar does taste sweet when burned...try a vape. They're all more or less sweet. Even without adding sweetener..it's the glucose

need4weed

Veteran
B.A.C Holland
the hydro line has the red chelated iron (like canna aqua)
but its more suited for our plant (pk booster for second half of bloom) than canna

canna do not understand you cant use the same npk profile for the whole bloom
I haven't used B.A.C for years as my local store stopped selling it, but by far, I used to get the best results. Growth rate, taste and yields

Cannamatrix

Ok so as I understand your main priorities here are cost and flavour.

Cost is easy, flavour is going to be way harder to figure out. You'll have to just try them all out I think!

So your Canna nutrients are just salts in water basically but there are two factors to every nutrient salt formulation.

1) What specific salts they put in and at what ratio, think of this as the 'recipe' of their salt mixture

2) The quality of those specific 'ingredients' (the salts)

Since Canna is a high cost line, I'm assuming the salts they use are a very high quality and also I have read that they are one of the only brands that actually has a really good nutrient profile specifically for cannabis. Apparently too much potassium is available in most other off the shelf nutrient lines, especially if you run coco.

And also those additives you mentioned might also make quite a difference.

Now, since cost is a priority, you might as well start at the bottom price range and see if it's any good for you. It will be the least cost to experiment with and if you do end up liking it then you will have the least cost going forward.

Here is a good cheap recipe:

Now that one uses Jacks as a base, which are quality salts and quite inexpensive.

You could go even cheaper by buying your own individual salts and micros and making your own mix but that would be a bit more.in depth considering you don't even know if you'll like the flavour. I'd say go with Jack's to start they are probably the best quality/price ratio for a ready made mix.

If you look up Dr Coco he has some pretty good in depth discussion about canna specific nutrients. Apparently General Hydro Trio at the right ratios (the he recommends) works almost as good as Canna.

I would avoid Athena. They are expensive, use bad tactics like mixing their N into their micro product so you can't use generic CalNit and they also use nasty dyes. They are basically like a super expensive, tainted Jack's and they command you to run at 3.0ec which is absurd.

Anyway in the salt quality front, it's not really public information where all of these nutrient formulating companies actually source their bulk salts. But there certainly could be a quality difference between some bulk salts that are 'agriculture' grade vs other that are 'pharmaceutical' grade. I have read that a lot of the companies just buy bulk individual salts from Haifa and mix them to their proprietary ratios. I'm not sure if there are other large multinational salt suppliers or how that whole game works but apparently Haifa is quality.

So yeah I would say overall start with one of the cheapest which would be Jack's and see if you like it. If not then try the Jacks base with your Canna additives and see if they are the 'special sauce' to the flavour you are after. I'd they are then great, you know that you can run cheap base nutes and only shell out for the pricey additives.

If you don't like Jack's even with your Canna additives then it's the base salts that are the issue. So I would to a step up with those. Something quality in between Jacks and Canna I would be something like the brand Crop Salt. They have none of the BS such as big brands like Athena and people seem to like the quality they get from it

Edit: I forgot another cheap and easy one you can try would be the KISS method with Maxibloom. This will give you an idea of you like the flavour of the General Hydroponics lines

Edit 2: and if you want to go for a really deep drive then refer to user George's comments here he goes in depth on the nutrient ratios in various lines including Canna. Calcium is the talk of the town these days and apparently high calcium is key for clean burn. Turns out Canna is super high calcium as George breaks down in that thread. It gets super complicated though it's not like you can just add a tonne of calcium to stuff cause all of the ratios affect each other

thankyou for such a thoughtful reply

Cannamatrix

hi mate thanks for making this post i have been helping a buddy of mine with his grow and tasting the final product and every strain he done tasted abit off, hes been using advanced nutrients in coco and now after seeing this i bet that is the cuplrit to the taste not being great. do you think he will be able to use the hydro canna nutrients that you use in his coco? i see they do the canna coco A+B do you think that would still have good taste ?, thanks
Canna Nutrients has a line for Cocoa. A friend of mine in Quebec used to use it and his results were spectacular with this line. When he changed nutes I tasted it and stopped buying.

Latest posts

Latest posts