What's new

How long are you buffering your coco?

Tomatoesonly

I've read and watched anywhere from 8 hours to 36. The 36 came from a university study on the subject. I seen it in a Hoochos video on YouTube.
Curious what everyone else does. It sucks when you need some coco right away and didnt' foresee making any.

Rurumo

The pre-bagged coco is pre-buffered, so you can always keep some of that around in case you don't have enough blocks. I like Canna and the Hydrofarm brand bagged Coco, both are well buffered to around 1 ec with Calcium Nitrate.

LostTribe

Premium user
I havent buffered nothin. I did the first one since then havent in years. I havent seen an issue. Its easier to break the bricks up with warm water IMHO and I don't ph it. I do water heavy once I plant and always water to runoff.

Tomatoesonly

I havent buffered nothin. I did the first one since then havent in years. I havent seen an issue. Its easier to break the bricks up with warm water IMHO and I don't ph it. I do water heavy once I plant and always water to runoff.
Are you adding any extra calcium or magnesium with your nutrients?

sushi

I rehydrate with the same feed I'll be using. That does include cal mag. I water to run off after transplant. Once roots are established, I bottom feed autopot style.

LostTribe

Premium user
Are you adding any extra calcium or magnesium with your nutrients?
Canna is designed to run with tap water. You dont need a calcium or magesium in addition to tap water. I have done it with Canna a/b, maxibloom(lucas) and PBP.

I ran recirculating hydroton ebb buckets with RO and hydro organics for 2 decades prior to running coco. 250ppm @700 scale ie .4-.5ec starting water is sufficient. If not add some if you need it. Starting out you most likely do not.

sushi

Canna is designed to run with tap water. You dont need a calcium or magesium in addition to tap water. I have done it with Canna a/b, maxibloom(lucas) and PBP.

I ran recirculating hydroton ebb buckets with RO and hydro organics for 2 decades prior to running coco. 250ppm @700 scale ie .4-.5ec starting water is sufficient. If not add some if you need it. Starting out you most likely do not.
Yep have had good results with maxibloom and tap water myself. People over complicate coco.