What's new

How cold is too cold???

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I have no income and am in a house with limited amperage and having trouble finding answer to how cold plants can get at night without negative effects and how cold the feed can be with coir using air pots. Basement room I am about to move plants to for flowering was 48F this morning when it was 15F outside. I used to do RDWC and they said below 65F for feed would cause oxygen issues. Hoping to avoid putting heater in tent. I must have fish tank heaters somewhere if feed needs to be warmer. For RDWC they said 68F was ideal. TIA

Dime

I have no income and am in a house with limited amperage and having trouble finding answer to how cold plants can get at night without negative effects and how cold the feed can be with coir using air pots. Basement room I am about to move plants to for flowering was 48F this morning when it was 15F outside. I used to do RDWC and they said below 65F for feed would cause oxygen issues. Hoping to avoid putting heater in tent. I must have fish tank heaters somewhere if feed needs to be warmer. For RDWC they said 68F was ideal. TIA
A lot of it depends on the strain,I have had strains die or close to it at 40f outdoors and had some survive snow. Maybe you can cover them at night ? Outdoor I have covered them with plastic and put in old plastic milk jugs and filled them with hot water to survive a frost,perhaps that would work . As mentioned watch for mold or mildew.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Mr Flower says if I let mt tent get under 70 then mold will start. I run the dehuey at night for the heat.
Have you ever been concerned with temperature of feed water? I could use small heater but do not like to where it is damp. Hopefully running 800 watts of LED's will warm it up.

I had been growing GG4 which is very mold resistant but running 8 others to pick the best this run. Always got mold when I tried others.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I find indicas can tolerate temp fluctuations much easier. But ofcourse i only grow indoors
I will have to lookup genetics. Just bought 10 different clones, looking for a few keepers. The best are Chimera #3, Fatso, and MAC1. Will check them on seedfinder.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Seeds won’t germinate unless the soil is 70*f, so I keep my reservoir at 73ish
Do you use coco or hydro? Might keep all upstairs, and benefit from heating living area instead of heating un used area. Do you know if following VPD chart will prevent mold?

Last edited:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Some years ago i saw a growroom in a cellar. They had heating but in winter the ground was still very cold. They used thick foam plates as ground isolation what worked very well. Even with heating the floor was too cold what stunned growth.

Not sure where i picked that up but heating your nutrient solution could help with too cold temps imo. The warmer pots should act as kind of thermal battery for the plants and the room.

With a constant temp u should have fewer mold problems imo. Warm air can hold more moisture. When it cools it gets released as condensation.

herbgreen

Veteran
.... cant you use submersible aquarium heater in the tank w/temp control on it ?

Or would that breed some serious algae?

Cold is rhyme with mold and will stunt the crap out of plants

Get yourself an infrared heater....pickup used or reconditioned very efficient secondary heat source

Loc Dog

Veteran
.... cant you use submersible aquarium heater in the tank w/temp control on it ?

Or would that breed some serious algae?

Cold is rhyme with mold and will stunt the crap out of plants

Get yourself an infrared heater....pickup used or reconditioned very efficient secondary heat source
I moved and think I know where some are from RWDC days. For that 68F was optimum for holding oxygen. Above 76 invites bacteria. Not sure if that applies to coco.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
The coco needs to be above 16*C for growth to continue, heat the feed to 24*C and that’ll keep the roots warm
Wrapping the pots with bubble wrap will insulate the coco during the dark period

The foliage can stand temperatures around freezing as long as the roots are warm

Three Berries

In the winter with my indoor grows the temps are usually low to mid 70F to ~60F at night. Humidity during the lights on is targeted at the VPD, around 1.10-1.00. But lights off it's limited to 75% RH. I use heaters on my 3 gal buckets to keep the soil at 73F.

Had a mold issue one time on one bud.

Maybe using UV on the intake air?

Loc Dog

Veteran
In the winter with my indoor grows the temps are usually low to mid 70F to ~60F at night. Humidity during the lights on is targeted at the VPD, around 1.10-1.00. But lights off it's limited to 75% RH. I use heaters on my 3 gal buckets to keep the soil at 73F.

Had a mold issue one time on one bud.

Maybe using UV on the intake air?

I thought about UV on intake. Not sure how to deal with existing mold spores in tent and on plants unless Physan 20 is safe being sprayed on plants. Will have to confirm that. Have a fogger from recent spider mite infestation from buying clones. At last house grew in basement and anything but GG4 would mold over.

goingrey

The coco needs to be above 16*C for growth to continue, heat the feed to 24*C and that’ll keep the roots warm
Wrapping the pots with bubble wrap will insulate the coco during the dark period

The foliage can stand temperatures around freezing as long as the roots are warm
This does not appear to be true. My tent is at 12C right now and even the plants in coco still seem to be growing reasonably normally. It came as a surprise to me as well.

Obviously this is not recommended. Leaf tips are drooping which I believe is a result of the oxygen issue @Loc Dog mentioned. So they are not happy. But still growing.

I on the other hand am happy. To see warmer temperature forecasts for next week that is. And that I might make it there without having to fire up the heater.

The bubble wrap is a good idea and I might even have some around, thanks!

Latest posts

Latest posts