What's new

Greatest Rock Album?

It's really touchy when you start to compare guitar players and their skills.....I feel that Stevie had the tone to die for (both stages of his musical life)...is was in his fingers and how he squeezed out his notes for most of his rhythm playing, accented with his double stops and single notes..........I hate to admit that I'm not a big fan of his straight blues solos though I like most of what he does.......I'm far more into Gary Moore's power blues playing from his live album.

Johnny Winter is one of the greats no doubt....Eric Johnson is one of the most versatile guitar players I've ever heard(not off of his albums does he show his
true versatility) and many more from TEXAS!!!!

G

Oh no doubt...everyone has their own preferences...just like in my sig -- Tweech's Zone [to each his own].

G

Just found out I'm going to SXSW...anyone else going to be there?

I went one other time and it was a blast.

DKF

JohnBudd

others...........

others...........

Some great musicians who's music I admire:

Stanley Clarke School Daze
Al Dimiola
Jon Luc Ponty
Traffic
Yes

Rellikbuzz

giantmanbags said:
Bottom line if that is how it is then I acquiesce to that and just love the music as it is but man I wish there were some new young dudes who would tear a new one when it comes to a guitar solo......there are about 8 bands that I've heard that had a very skilled solo hapnin....and I believe there are more coming.

No doubt about it, gmb, the guitar is on it's way back!!

G

I Used To Grow said:
Foo Fighters-In Your Honor Disc One (the one with all the rock songs)

Any of the Foo Fighters, especially the 1st.

As long as these Fighters of Foo [UFOs] don't blast me outta orbit, they coo!! :wave: :yoinks: :woohoo:

544615alienssmoking31891sh.gif

I Used To Grow

The Foo Fighters, imho, seem to get better with every album. I dig all of their albums and have at one time or another had every one. I really started to get into them after high school.

I've had several bands that influenced me....System of A Down, KoRn, Slipknot, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Dope, No Doubt, Blink 182, The Offspring, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains,and Silverchair.

G

I forgot all about Silverchair. They were some rockin' kids from Australia.

JohnBudd

There are a couple really young up and coming guitar/blues guys.
Can't think of his name but he plays the song....."Blue on Black."

And when I am driving....no song like "Radar Love" makes me crank the volume and turn into a road racing machine...vroooom.

G

Blue on Black
Kenny Wayne Shepard / he is OK.....not my fav. & I get tired quick listening to his music - he has surrounded himself with great players and puts out good CD's though.

For a smoking young talent check out http://www.jbonamassa.com/

He ^ is HOT & still a young player

NWM - Smoking up the fretboard

Last edited:
G

JohnBudd said:
And when I am driving....no song like "Radar Love" makes me crank the volume and turn into a road racing machine...vroooom.

When I used to drive cars all over the USA for 1 of those 'Drive-away' companies, the song that would get me doing 90 mph before I realized, was Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55". THAT is 1 driving jam there. :woohoo:

Rattrap

In my younger days i had a 'driving tape', a compelation of my favourite driving songs. i had to throw it out, i got too many speeding tickets! seriously! A couple of my faves were 'Take a long line' by the Angels, 'radar love' & 'Bat out of Hell' Even now when i'm 41 whenever i hear any of the songs from that tape i can feel the accelerator hitting the floor as the volume gets cranked . U can take the boy out of a hot car but can never take the hot car out of the boy. :sasmokin:

Rellikbuzz

For those that don't have any faith in the younger bands (30's or younger) then I suggest you take a listen to Lost Prophets. Their last album showed intensly interesting song arrangments, a versatility in sound, great lyrical musings and a true cut above in terms of instrumentation. Renewed my faith in the fact that musicianship wasn't lost after the 80's and 90's!

Latest posts

Latest posts