What's new

Fridge Motor Air Pump

Ca++

I wonder how many people have blown themselves up with electrolysis. Each plate makes either hydrogen or oxygen (if you get it right) but the two should be kept apart. Not allowed to fill a tank. If you don't get it right, all manner of other gases can be made. Pretty much dependent on the salts, that must be present for conductivity.
I think I know enough to know I don't know enough. Things like coco salt, making chlorine gas not oxygen. So making chlorides with our metals. That stuff is beyond what I know.

The vortex thing and the zeolite sieve are interesting. Perhaps only academically to me though, as I'm really about low noise. I could manage a fridge compressor, if an EC one on my own control gear. No real high power stuff though. Just a piston like air pump, to meet the demands of difficult air stones.

Thanks for the input. I'm sure it interests others also. I know how long a short post can take sometimes, and it's longer than we care to admit :) Nice job!

Drop That Sound

You can separate the hydrogen and oxygen using a membrane in between the cells, placed inside of an extra container, but then it actually becomes even more dangerous as the 2 separate streams of gas are even more pure and volatile than then when mixed together through the one cell.. aka HHO browns gas. If you could vent the pure hydrogen output line outside somewhere, and only keep the pure o2 line side for mixing in the res, it might be better? I never got that far as to try it that way.
Nothing is stored in tanks, and the same tech is marketed by "o2 grow" as an on demand system that doesn't create enough gas to cause concern.. It barely outputs anything actually, and doesn't need a lot of power to supply the amount of DO you need for hydro. No where near enough to turn a room into a bomb.

Technically, using HHO emitters for hydroponics is even safer than entering a home where people are using the medical concentrators that pump out o2 by the liters.. They are usually required to post a warning sign not to smoke on the doors of houses where the oxygen machines are in use.

I do also worry about the by products of the cells breaking down, and creating a toxic soup by reacting with the chlorine and other nutrient salts in the mix, etc.. but.. I've heard it actually wards off root pathogens and other pests by having the little bit of gas in your res, lol.

The last HHO cell I made(years ago now), I used a stack of stainless steel receptical light switch plate covers, and had to flash heat/freeze them to get rid of the magnetism from being machined first to make it work right. I was powering lawn mowers with water and car batteries, etc.

Ca++

As each gas comes off a different plate, the plates can be vertical, and create two streams of gas bubbles. This could simplify the task of keeping them apart.
This would be in my tank though, and my tank has a lid on it. By default, I'm filling a tank with an explosive mix. To even contemplate this, I would need extract, with pressure sensing, to ensure it works.
An o2 generator isn't that expensive now. There are countless options for electrolysis, but if you feed a compressor with a hydrogen oxygen mix, you are making an unstable bomb. The pressure part is a big issue. You could scrap the pressure idea, and just go oxygen aeration, or scrap the oxygen and just go with microbubbles. Logic suggests the microbubbles have so much more contact area, and hope of staying in solution, that the normal sized oxygen bubbles, wouldn't be as effective.
Ultimately, we have to look at power consumption. At a home grown level, a 500w load needs to produce half a Kg, just for a gram per watt. The portable o2 concentrator sounds interesting, to get them watts into the small numbers. While I believe it's the nanobubbles that have actually found commercial application.

Ca++

The O2 Grow system is looking like it doesn't work. $400 for something China could make for $4, but have not bothered. I don't actually trust them, to know what they are doing. Suggestions like hanging the control unit, with a fan on it, are not what you expect. At $400 they could buy a better box with a fan in it. This product is no Ferrari. It's not even TingTong.
I moved to the university research page, where 3 video's are offered. Each a different grower, saying they were doing a study, but had no results yet. No results yet? Why are these video's even being offered.
There is a fabric bag pot grower making some claims like no other, but results far from the norm, are best filtered out. 50% reduction in feed requirements, to gain 25% in output. He may of fixed his grow, but was it with a little oxygen?

I think with the simplicity of this, it's probably been tried a lot of times. I have not personally seen benefit, even from air stones. It's just nice to have one. Though h2o2 works, and might be cheaper, when you see the run time on these is 18 months of 3 hours a day.

As much as I want some of these techs to be good, there is nothing really getting my attention. Even though I might have the parts already.

Ca++

Does anyone have a DO meter? Test strips perhaps?
I'm thinking about oxygen depletion, as my water stands.
I know temperature dictates how much oxygen water can hold, but the time part of that is on my mind.
I have long known a fresh tank is the best tank, in just about every situation I have found myself in. Recently I have been using a pump that cavitates if the water has not stood. I can't actually pump a fresh tank. 6 hours later, I have to keep pausing to clear the bubble. Only a tank stood for a day can be pumped easily. It's warmed in that time. Enough to have bubbles stuck to the walls. However, it's not warmed that much. This depletion of oxygen takes a while I think. As the oxygen becomes free, it's probably nanobubbles. These need to form microbubbles, then visible bubbles, before they actually leave the water. So while temp says the oxygen has gone, it's not entirely true yet.

It would be interesting to monitor a bucket as it warmed to room temp, then stood for a bit. To see how much oxygen we really do loose. Not just the mathematical dissolved figure, but the bubbles that are useful, to.

It's surprising to find a pump that can tell me how long the water has stood. I have seen it before though, where h2o2 couldn't be used. So while my eyes are not aware of how 'flat' my water is getting, the pump is going from unusable to very good. So I know a lot is going on.