What's new

Autoflowering strain cloning

Hornytoad

I am wanting to order some Diesel Ryder beans, but I want to grow from clones. Is anybody out there growing this way with lowryder type plants?

How do keep a mother ready to clone from if it autoflowers after 3-4 weeks from seed?

I tried a thread title search, but didn't find any answers. Sorry if this is a silly question.

guest3589

Well hi Hornytoad,
I grow Lowryder myself and the way to keep growing is to do a seed run and then use the seeds for the next grow. One seed run and you should be able to get hundreds or thousands of seeds to grow next time. Producing and growing the seeds is a lot of fun and IMHO really adds to the entire grow process.

Another option would be to cross one of the males with another strain that you have access to but takes a bit to long to flower, the seeds will flower faster than the original almost every time and can be revegged or cloned.

I believe the only way to actually clone an autoflowering/day neutral plant like Lowryder would be tissue culture, and thats not really an option for most people.

Last edited:

Hornytoad

Thanks for the heads up on the autoflower how-to. I may hold of on the diesel ryder for now. I don't have any space to isolate the males. I sure do like the idea of a 6 week flower though.

W

Wunderkind

you're right, siberian & ES. Since you can't veg it, it's impossible to clone it. The cutting would just keep right on flowering.

Consider making your first run a dedicated seed run. After that one time you'd have enough for a long time.

Last edited:

TheHashAssassin

you can try fiddling with the light regime. Try for example 6/6/6/6 for a light regime. The thing with autoflowerers is you have to confuse the ever living fuck out of them, if yu can do that then they will stay in veg........sometimes.

Dinix

6/6/6/6 will just freak it out into hermaphrodism. As far as cloning a AF, I don't think we've found a surefire way to do it. One method i've heard is to drop the temp way down to slow the flowering process... but it'd be like 45-55 F.

Your best bet is to build a seperate chamber, no bigger than a computer case. Put some HPS bulbs in the top, and use a small fan (like a computer fan), for ventalation.

Take one male, and however many females you want. If you want to work your magick with genetics, use the best female and male only. Yea your best girl is gonna get all knocked up, but in 3-4 weeks you'll have more of her offspring than you can deal with.

Stick the male in the chamber & grow him seperatly for a while. When you find the right girl, just stick her in the same chamber and shake the piss out of the male for a second, then pull the male out & do whatever you do to males. Grow your lady out to the fullest of her life cycle in the chamber. I don't know what the seed content will be on this particular strain.

guest3589

An option to use when doing a seed run would be to just cut the males off at the base of the main stem when the flowers are mature but before they drop pollen. You can then put them in a cup of water in a separate room with window light or a CFL . In a few days the pollen will drop. You can then use the pollen and paint brush or q-tip etc to pollinate the best female. I use this method and I have to say it's effective.

Even thought the method I use is effective, it's not possible for everyone to have a cup of cannabis cuts in the window. Thats why it's nice that the males are quite a bit faster then the females. If you cull the males after the first week of dropping pollen, the females will only have grown a few pistils that are developed to the point to get pollinated. Once the males are gone, the rest of the flowers that grow will be seedless, only the base of the colas will have the seeds.

Perhaps the best feature I enjoy of the auto flowering/day neutral plants are how well they grow outdoors in late spring and early summer. A nice way to get medicine when everything else is still in veg. Thats the main reason I use AF, spring and summer grows and crossing with strains that just wont finish in time for the bad weather of winter.

What ever you decide to do, good luck with the grow. :smoke:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts