What's new

PSA: UV-B bullsh*t

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In addition to limonene, tannins and anthocyanins are responisble for uv protection in plants.. "Tannins are polyphenolic compounds found in various plants, including cannabis. They are known for their astringent properties, which can impart a dry, puckering sensation when consumed. Tannins serve various functions in plants, from defense against herbivores to protection against UV radiation." https://greenqueengenetics.blogspot.com/2023/09/tannins-in-cannabis-exploring.html and Anthocyanins:

Definition: Anthocyanins are water-soluble pigments found in plants, responsible for vibrant red, purple, and blue colors in various fruits, flowers, and leaves.

Functions:

• UV Protection: Act as a natural sunscreen, shielding plant tissues from damage caused by ultraviolet (UV) radiation.
  • Antioxidant Properties: Protect against oxidative stress, helping to maintain the health of plant cells.
  • Signaling: Play a role in cellular signaling within plants.
  • Defense Mechanism: Deter certain herbivores, providing a layer of protection for the plant.
  • Environmental Response: Anthocyanin production is highly responsive to environmental cues, including light intensity, temperature, and nutrient availability. They are produced in response to strong sunlight and UV rays.
  • Water Absorption and Humidity Sensitivity: Since anthocyanins are more water-soluble, strains higher in them will be more susceptible to absorbing humidity in the leaves, which can affect the overall growth and health of the plant.
  • Competition for Light Absorption: Anthocyanins absorb light primarily in the blue and red regions of the spectrum, which can overlap with the absorption spectrum of chlorophyll. In areas of overlap, there may be competition for available photons.
  • https://greenqueengenetics.blogspot.com/2023/09/harnessing-carotenoids-and-anthocyanins.html
To add, if anyone here wants to experience tannins, drink a young Barolo from Piedmont in italy. That wine will suck the life out of your mouth. Pair it with some ribeye and its heaven. Or, simply eating a persimmon can really teach you about tannins for a non alcoholic experience hah.

TheDarkStorm

How old are those papers and tests and what were they done on..what lighting was used and was it broad spectrum similar to the sun.. Afew of the latest experements show that the increase works when uva and uvb are combined like the sun in high uv areas. The plant hasnt learned to respond to uvb alone... It works with the full spectrum....They even know now that its a bigger uva percentage and smaller uvb percentage ...

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How old are those papers and tests and what were they done on..what lighting was used and was it broad spectrum similar to the sun.. Afew of the latest experements show that the increase works when uva and uvb are combined like the sun in high uv areas. The plant hasnt learned to respond to uvb alone... It works with the full spectrum....They even know now that its a bigger uva percentage and smaller uvb percentage ...
I cant speak to OPs post but if youre wondering about the Bugbee research team its pretty darn current. They did experiment with the wavelengths in combination i believe as well. I wish i had it in front of me. Drives me nuts that they take the damn modules away after the exam.

Reactions: JKD

TheDarkStorm

I cant speak to OPs post but if youre wondering about the Bugbee research team its pretty darn current. They did experiment with the wavelengths in combination i believe as well. I wish i had it in front of me. Drives me nuts that they take the damn modules away after the exam.
How many experments did he do and on how many plants both with and without...Its ashame the full pages and pages of results over his numerous grows over a few years on uv alone arnt available.
He could be onto something though, as the plant not being pollnated also causes it to stack and stress/frustrates harder.

Last edited:

Rocket Soul

~20% reduction in yield for flower from his preferred intensity. A big ask if not growing for headstash. He also side lit UVb rather than top lit as in nature it is equal strength in all directions. He applied ~130uW for the full 12 hour lights on.

I wish cannabis studies would also include qualitative findings rather than only quantitative, though I will continue to pick through those without.
re intensity: are you sure it was uW and not mW? Most uvb diodes have output in this range. 130 uW would be almost a factor of 1000 less than what were giving our plants.

Ive seen some forum based research somebody cross posted to riu from a german forum: it stated 5mW per squarefoot was ideal but i dont know for how much time a day, maybe full day. Nachooo on riu had similar numbers when doing uvb 285nm.

On side lighting the uv: UV is highly phototropic; it turns the leaves towards the source of uv. If your main light and uv arent in the same place you may get undesirable results; leaves oriented away from the mainlight will not be as photosyntheticly efficient.

JKD

Veteran
re intensity: are you sure it was uW and not mW? Most uvb diodes have output in this range. 130 uW would be almost a factor of 1000 less than what were giving our plants.

Ive seen some forum based research somebody cross posted to riu from a german forum: it stated 5mW per squarefoot was ideal but i dont know for how much time a day, maybe full day. Nachooo on riu had similar numbers when doing uvb 285nm.

On side lighting the uv: UV is highly phototropic; it turns the leaves towards the source of uv. If your main light and uv arent in the same place you may get undesirable results; leaves oriented away from the mainlight will not be as photosyntheticly efficient.
From a post of his on another site: “The reading is 122 uw at 29", enough to make a large difference as it is on the full 12 hours, not just…”

His opinion was if you were only running UVb for short bursts you needed >200uW to make any difference.

He used ‘Arcadia D3+ T5 HO 12% uvb lamps as side lighting. With his primary lighting he also side lit his plants with 1/3 of the total lighting, 2/3 overhead.

Last edited:

Rocket Soul

From a post of his on another site: “The reading is 122 uw at 29", enough to make a large difference as it is on the full 12 hours, not just…”

His opinion was if you were only running UVb for short bursts you needed >200uW to make any difference.

He used ‘Arcadia D3+ T5 HO 12% uvb lamps as side lighting. With his primary lighting he also side lit his plants with 1/3 of what he was running overhead.
Ok now i get it: im talking of total output, his numbers are spot readings. Like ppf vrs ppfd.

Reactions: JKD

Ca++

As light shifts from red, to blue, and beyond, it carries more and more energy. If we think about photons as particles, it's a little easier to grasp. Red photons carry a little energy, that the plant can easily dissipate and use. Blue one's carry twice as much. Some plants thrive on these blue photons, and find red ones a bit like light snacking. While other plants are great at harvesting red ones, but find blues one's a bit hard to swallow in one go.
Skipping ahead to UV-A, we have photons with so much charge, it's like trying to survive a lightening strike. UV-A is germicidal. It's outright death to many organisms. The gap between UV-A and blue light, is filled by UV-B and UV-C. The big picture I'm trying to paint, is how UV-B is close to death. I'm not aware of any plant that want's it. Nor UV-A. The bigger picture is that blue isn't great for our plants either. The UV story should be old news by now, and I don't even see it as worth talking about. We are now establishing that blue isn't favourable to cannabis. This isn't at all uncommon for plants in general.

If we use blue, we see protection methods at play, that are usually spoke of in these UV talks. Less stretch. Smaller leaves. Thicker surface layers to the leaf, to reduce light penetration. It's not quite triggering the carotenoids to make colour filters, but we know they are having to work hard to stop chlorophyll destruction, by these high energy particles. Which are not high enough for us to call them UV, but are actually visible to us, as blue.

That holistic picture should go a long way towards explaining why UV-B offered nothing but stunting, as the plant spent energy on repairs and protection. Growing ineffective leaves, and keeping away from the light. These are not the qualities of a good light source.
Lots of tests looked at a whole bunch of cannabinoids. Just as now, many people were willing it to work. You can even find papers where levels increased, as what there was, had less bud real-estate to occupy. Giving more useful cannabinoids per gram of flower, but unfortunately, very little flower, so the plants overall yield of these chemicals was lower. But.. per gram of bud... more. So people can hear what they want to from that.

There is little to gain from UV, but plenty to loose. It's probably good that the UV LEDs in our lights are ineffective. Placed there, just because people asked for them. Right now, we are reducing the blue in cannabis lighting. Getting it down towards sodium levels.

On a slight tangent, the HID vs LED debate often finds HID supporters, even after side by sides. Their LED is generally unknown to us. It's quite possible that higher blue is the driving difference. Most accept a wider taste pallet comes from LED, and nobody quite knows why. Yes, more colours, more tastes. However, we can't ignore it's not gaining tastes they speak of, but loosing tastes. So we look to loosing IR. However, nothing says the loss in some tastes, isn't due to gain, or change in processes, due to the blue gain.

OK, I obviously want to talk blue as I feel UV is a dead topic.
Back to topic though...
Prime your weapons, and take your shots :)

Last edited:

babe ruth

THC claim is a great marketing tool that works on the same people who are impressed by how "frosty" their plants are.
Frosty plants look nice yield more resine for extractions and tipicaly will bhrn slower and nicer in a joint so i dont get why you would you bitch those who like frosty plants 🤔

Rocket Soul

As light shifts from red, to blue, and beyond, it carries more and more energy. If we think about photons as particles, it's a little easier to grasp. Red photons carry a little energy, that the plant can easily dissipate and use. Blue one's carry twice as much. Some plants thrive on these blue photons, and find red ones a bit like light snacking. While other plants are great at harvesting red ones, but find blues one's a bit hard to swallow in one go.
Skipping ahead to UV-A, we have photons with so much charge, it's like trying to survive a lightening strike. UV-A is germicidal. It's outright death to many organisms. The gap between UV-A and blue light, is filled by UV-B and UV-C. The big picture I'm trying to paint, is how UV-B is close to death. I'm not aware of any plant that want's it. Nor UV-A. The bigger picture is that blue isn't great for our plants either. The UV story should be old news by now, and I don't even see it as worth talking about. We are now establishing that blue isn't favourable to cannabis. This isn't at all uncommon for plants in general.

If we use blue, we see protection methods at play, that are usually spoke of in these UV talks. Less stretch. Smaller leaves. Thicker surface layers to the leaf, to reduce light penetration. It's not quite triggering the carotenoids to make colour filters, but we know they are having to work hard to stop chlorophyll destruction, by these high energy particles. Which are not high enough for us to call them UV, but are actually visible to us, as blue.

That holistic picture should go a long way towards explaining why UV-B offered nothing but stunting, as the plant spent energy on repairs and protection. Growing ineffective leaves, and keeping away from the light. These are not the qualities of a good light source.
Lots of tests looked at a whole bunch of cannabinoids. Just as now, many people were willing it to work. You can even find papers where levels increased, as what there was, had less bud real-estate to occupy. Giving more useful cannabinoids per gram of flower, but unfortunately, very little flower, so the plants overall yield of these chemicals was lower. But.. per gram of bud... more. So people can hear what they want to from that.

There is little to gain from UV, but plenty to loose. It's probably good that the UV LEDs in our lights are ineffective. Placed there, just because people asked for them. Right now, we are reducing the blue in cannabis lighting. Getting it down towards sodium levels.

On a slight tangent, the HID vs LED debate often finds HID supporters, even after side by sides. Their LED is generally unknown to us. It's quite possible that higher blue is the driving difference. Most accept a wider taste pallet comes from LED, and nobody quite knows why. Yes, more colours, more tastes. However, we can't ignore it's not gaining tastes they speak of, but loosing tastes. So we look to loosing IR. However, nothing says the loss in some tastes, isn't due to gain, or change in processes, due to the blue gain.

OK, I obviously want to talk blue as I feel UV is a dead topic.
Back to topic though...
Prime your weapons, and take your shots :)
First you got the uvs back to front: theres nothing between uva and blue; they are nieghbours, uvb is deeper beyond blue and uva and then uvc, which is germicidal and will rightly f-k plants up.
What your explaining about uva doesnt really adjust to what ive seen in real life tests, on my own and thru other growers: near uva, well portioned out on a separate channel, does not seem to stunt plants rather the opposite. Ive seen plants looking pale, about to go light stunted but turn around with a bit of uva. Also adding uvb in a sensible way definitely made the plant look better; leaf boner all around. Have you actually tried to add either uva or uvb to your grow or do you rely only on research papers? Re lower yield leading to higher thc concentration but similar total canabinoid yields: this may very well be the mecanism. But from our own tests, which are very early to draw any conclusions from, weve seen the uva+uvb tray definitely is able to handle more light than all other trays. If this treatment means i can hit higher light levels than before thats a win in my book, and could hopefully make up for any yield loss due to added uv.
A few more things of uv: its very good at driving transpiration, especially around 280 and 360nm, i believe ive even seen them counted as photosyntheticly active in some papers .

Nature seems to recycle a lot and there are a lot of species that use 280 for something, for example corrals for their "skeleton". Other research indicate that 280 also has an effect on how water behaves, you can read up on EZ water tru Gerald Pollack.
This is not to say that uv is the most awesome thing for all and everything but i do think that this "all uv is bad" talk seems a little premature especially if you havent seen it for yourself.

Also the study cited in the start of this actually cites uv as increasing cannabinoid yields (though statistically insignificant): when we would experiments like this at uni: if you get effects but no statistically significance it usually means you need to expand your experiment (more samples allways means its easier to get significant results) or look at the result variance and evaluate what could be giving so much variance. If there are outlier results you can eliminate the highest and the lowest results from each group as not representative; as youre getting rid of both high and low you can reduce the chance that any extraneous variable was responsible for the outliers and then do the math on the remaining dataset: tldr: effect without statistical significance means you need to sharpen your experiment and method of interpretation.

Verdant Whisperer

First you got the uvs back to front: theres nothing between uva and blue; they are nieghbours, uvb is deeper beyond blue and uva and then uvc, which is germicidal and will rightly f-k plants up.
What your explaining about uva doesnt really adjust to what ive seen in real life tests, on my own and thru other growers: near uva, well portioned out on a separate channel, does not seem to stunt plants rather the opposite. Ive seen plants looking pale, about to go light stunted but turn around with a bit of uva. Also adding uvb in a sensible way definitely made the plant look better; leaf boner all around. Have you actually tried to add either uva or uvb to your grow or do you rely only on research papers? Re lower yield leading to higher thc concentration but similar total canabinoid yields: this may very well be the mecanism. But from our own tests, which are very early to draw any conclusions from, weve seen the uva+uvb tray definitely is able to handle more light than all other trays. If this treatment means i can hit higher light levels than before thats a win in my book, and could hopefully make up for any yield loss due to added uv.
A few more things of uv: its very good at driving transpiration, especially around 280 and 360nm, i believe ive even seen them counted as photosyntheticly active in some papers .

Nature seems to recycle a lot and there are a lot of species that use 280 for something, for example corrals for their "skeleton". Other research indicate that 280 also has an effect on how water behaves, you can read up on EZ water tru Gerald Pollack.
This is not to say that uv is the most awesome thing for all and everything but i do think that this "all uv is bad" talk seems a little premature especially if you havent seen it for yourself.

Also the study cited in the start of this actually cites uv as increasing cannabinoid yields (though statistically insignificant): when we would experiments like this at uni: if you get effects but no statistically significance it usually means you need to expand your experiment (more samples allways means its easier to get significant results) or look at the result variance and evaluate what could be giving so much variance. If there are outlier results you can eliminate the highest and the lowest results from each group as not representative; as youre getting rid of both high and low you can reduce the chance that any extraneous variable was responsible for the outliers and then do the math on the remaining dataset: tldr: effect without statistical significance means you need to sharpen your experiment and method of interpretation.
some of natural substances linked with protection from uv like limonene also aid's indirectly to help increase the plant's ability to Photosynthesize light by reducing its stress response from uv allowing it to spend more energy for absorbing light, this could be potentially linked with the observation, while some compounds such as anthocyanins compete with chlorophyll in certain areas of the light spectrum and actually inhibit photosynthesis, to an extent. in basic terms the uv resistance allows the plants to absorb more light without getting burnt, makes the leaves more efficient in photosynthesis. adding uv will increase leaf durability in regards to light/uv intensity allowing the plants leaves to absorb more light theoretically.

Last edited:

Dime

Frosty plants look nice yield more resine for extractions and tipicaly will bhrn slower and nicer in a joint so i dont get why you would you bitch those who like frosty plants 🤔
I didn't,the implication was people associate frosty plants with higher quality resin

Ca++

Oh yes, quite the brain fart there, getting the labels the wrong way around. Labeling aside, the picture is whats important.

It's worth recapping here, that the amount of energy a photon carries, gives it different amounts of physical interaction with what it falls upon. It's these different levels, that we interpret as different colours.

I'm not sure what a better looking leaf is to anybodies eye. The leaf protecting itself is greener and thicker, not paper thin and letting light pass through so easily. Many people value those thick shiny leaves, that are trying to block light. These protection mechanisms would lead to higher intensities being possible, as that goes hand in hand with being better at blocking it out. As you say, their can be room for interpretation when few facts can be checked. Thus..

I have done my own trials, yes. Just three times, and it was not effective. I'm not going to use that as evidence though. You are right, that I would rather get out the papers of people like Bugbee's team if I'm to offer proof. Which I feel has more value than someone's personal findings. Usually offering a lot more detail, than I can produce with my casual interest.

I wrote off UV quite a few years ago now, and can say with some certainly, that no papers will be posted here to say I was wrong to do so. Yes, a few growers still wish it were true, and think theirs is the best, no matter what they do. These outliers will always exist. However the use of UV in basil production is of little interest to a cannabis grower, and turning to coral to find a plant that uses it, really does show how few plants want it.

The picture I'm trying to paint, of higher energy photons being damaging, has held true for me, through years of study. It explained to me how blue was bad, which I shared here as my thoughts, before the studies started to back it up. It's a logical picture, that needs no further thought in my mind.

Papers aside, I will talk personal opinion for a moment.
If you have a Mole of light in blue, and one in red, the red one contains twice as many photon units. Our plant does exceedingly well at processing large amounts of these small charges. It's a specialist. However you can't have everything. This excellent use of late season light, has a cost. It's not great with energy packets twice the size. It shows us quite clearly in it's actions, and now testing supports my model From UV-C :) through to, and including, blue. I'm not sure where green falls. It's in the zone where the light radiation becomes good. Yet our plants are not making a grab for it. They are more attuned to collecting blue.

Up to 30% blue, little unwanted behaviour is seen. After which, things rapidly change, with 40% blue being an utterly pointless harvest. The blue chlorophyll response peak, is flanked closely by the two peaks in carotenoid response. Who's job is protecting the process from over-run problems. They have a few mechanisms to do this. Making blue light handling possible, but only to a certain level. After which the protection methods employed, are getting a bit like shading. Purple being a common colour seen. Usually outdoors, where a broad spectrum is seen. Not the peaks of most electric lighting. Which is a different pet topic of mine, regarding how we target the blue production peak, but not protection ones.

I have no doubt that UV offers nearly all growers a loss. Even if it was just a loss of 5 mins, reading my concentration taxing post

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
It is a pity that they did not use LEP light from Gavita in the study, which is much more effective instead of T5 UV light & also strange in my opinion is no chemotype II instead of chemotype III. From the people who use UV light from Californian Lightworks , I hear much better quality than without it.

Rocket Soul

Oh yes, quite the brain fart there, getting the labels the wrong way around. Labeling aside, the picture is whats important.

It's worth recapping here, that the amount of energy a photon carries, gives it different amounts of physical interaction with what it falls upon. It's these different levels, that we interpret as different colours.

I'm not sure what a better looking leaf is to anybodies eye. The leaf protecting itself is greener and thicker, not paper thin and letting light pass through so easily. Many people value those thick shiny leaves, that are trying to block light. These protection mechanisms would lead to higher intensities being possible, as that goes hand in hand with being better at blocking it out. As you say, their can be room for interpretation when few facts can be checked. Thus..

I have done my own trials, yes. Just three times, and it was not effective. I'm not going to use that as evidence though. You are right, that I would rather get out the papers of people like Bugbee's team if I'm to offer proof. Which I feel has more value than someone's personal findings. Usually offering a lot more detail, than I can produce with my casual interest.

I wrote off UV quite a few years ago now, and can say with some certainly, that no papers will be posted here to say I was wrong to do so. Yes, a few growers still wish it were true, and think theirs is the best, no matter what they do. These outliers will always exist. However the use of UV in basil production is of little interest to a cannabis grower, and turning to coral to find a plant that uses it, really does show how few plants want it.

The picture I'm trying to paint, of higher energy photons being damaging, has held true for me, through years of study. It explained to me how blue was bad, which I shared here as my thoughts, before the studies started to back it up. It's a logical picture, that needs no further thought in my mind.

Papers aside, I will talk personal opinion for a moment.
If you have a Mole of light in blue, and one in red, the red one contains twice as many photon units. Our plant does exceedingly well at processing large amounts of these small charges. It's a specialist. However you can't have everything. This excellent use of late season light, has a cost. It's not great with energy packets twice the size. It shows us quite clearly in it's actions, and now testing supports my model From UV-C :) through to, and including, blue. I'm not sure where green falls. It's in the zone where the light radiation becomes good. Yet our plants are not making a grab for it. They are more attuned to collecting blue.

Up to 30% blue, little unwanted behaviour is seen. After which, things rapidly change, with 40% blue being an utterly pointless harvest. The blue chlorophyll response peak, is flanked closely by the two peaks in carotenoid response. Who's job is protecting the process from over-run problems. They have a few mechanisms to do this. Making blue light handling possible, but only to a certain level. After which the protection methods employed, are getting a bit like shading. Purple being a common colour seen. Usually outdoors, where a broad spectrum is seen. Not the peaks of most electric lighting. Which is a different pet topic of mine, regarding how we target the blue production peak, but not protection ones.

I have no doubt that UV offers nearly all growers a loss. Even if it was just a loss of 5 mins, reading my concentration taxing post

What were the conditions of the trials like? Sorry if it sounds like im trying to put you on the spot, im just trying to sort thru peoples experiences by getting the details of what they tried, what it led to and why they consider this a failure or even a success.
Also what was your criteria for success and failure? I think partly people will differ in opinions here based on what they are trying to achieve. Im our case we are comercial so were basicly looking to yield the same at least and increase commercial quality; more smell and nicer high. If it goes out the door for more money and faster then its a success. If we can use more intense par light using uv that would also be a success.

Ca++

What were the conditions of the trials like? Sorry if it sounds like im trying to put you on the spot, im just trying to sort thru peoples experiences by getting the details of what they tried, what it led to and why they consider this a failure or even a success.
Also what was your criteria for success and failure? I think partly people will differ in opinions here based on what they are trying to achieve. Im our case we are comercial so were basicly looking to yield the same at least and increase commercial quality; more smell and nicer high. If it goes out the door for more money and faster then its a success. If we can use more intense par light using uv that would also be a success.
My three tries? Two were in rooms that ran like clockwork, and they looked a bit more leafy. By that, I mean more layers of leaf in the buds nearer the lamps, which were a little greener looking. All quite short, like they tried to grow out, but didn't want to. Leading to attempts elsewhere. This increased trimming time, and did nothing for the end product.
The other trial was on a test grow, which offers no benchmark. It didn't go full term, as I wanted a bit more stretch. LED grows don't really need lighting to hold them down, and in fact, I swapped in some GLS lamps (incandescent) which do get my approval.

Perhaps a sativa grower could use the avoidance characteristics shown towards UV light. Coupled with oscillating fans, you might keep them down a bit.

Rocket Soul

My three tries? Two were in rooms that ran like clockwork, and they looked a bit more leafy. By that, I mean more layers of leaf in the buds nearer the lamps, which were a little greener looking. All quite short, like they tried to grow out, but didn't want to. Leading to attempts elsewhere. This increased trimming time, and did nothing for the end product.
The other trial was on a test grow, which offers no benchmark. It didn't go full term, as I wanted a bit more stretch. LED grows don't really need lighting to hold them down, and in fact, I swapped in some GLS lamps (incandescent) which do get my approval.

Perhaps a sativa grower could use the avoidance characteristics shown towards UV light. Coupled with oscillating fans, you might keep them down a bit.
What base spectrum did you add uv to?
What uv light did you add at what strength over what time?
What was your criteria for success /failure?
Did you have a control section in the same grow space?
Did you do anything to compensate for adding more blue/uv (basicly adding some type of red/far red)?

Ca++

As the UV idea was born from the effects of high altitude plants (and irrelevant plants) I followed the suns example, and just used them at that illumination. Adding them to HID grows in the two meaningful runs.

In my mind the horse is dead. It's not worth flogging it further, but plenty have tried on our behalf.

Lightcicles are a better use of the electricity.

Reactions: Rgd

Rocket Soul

Ok, ill take that as a response but its really hard for someone outside to evaluate what you say when you are so discrete about the details of your own tests.

Ill post my own take aways from our tests in a few weeks when our test room is finished, dry and hopefully cannabinoid tested.
Thx for your replies :)