What's new

Protect flowering tent from pollen

endgegner

Hi, I wanted to pollinate some females with one male plant, but it is in the same living room as the flowering tent. So I am a bit concerned, that the pollen might fly to my budding plants.

While looking for solutions, I have found this:

My plan was to do this:
aluflex tube > filter box > air exhaust fan > carbon filter

Everything is outside, as I want to save space in my 30x30x60cm tent (for obvious reasons)

Is this enough?

goingrey

Not sure I have understood correctly. The male is not in any tent? And you want some kind of extractor like the hood on top of your kitchen stove but for pollen instead of smells?

I think you may be better served by just having a HEPA filter on the intake vents to the tent with the girls.

endgegner

Not sure I have understood correctly. The male is not in any tent? And you want some kind of extractor like the hood on top of your kitchen stove but for pollen instead of smells?

I think you may be better served by just having a HEPA filter on the intake vents to the tent with the girls.
I will have 1 or 2 female tents and 1 breeding tent with one male in the same living room.
I want to filter out the pollen before it reaches the carbon filter.

I know, normally you put the carbon filter inside and connect the air extractor to it, but I sometimes do it backwards, so the air gets pumped into the carbon filter and released in the room.

So I wanted to put filter the pollen out before it gets sucked by the air extractor.

goingrey

I will have 1 or 2 female tents and 1 breeding tent with one male in the same living room.
I want to filter out the pollen before it reaches the carbon filter.

I know, normally you put the carbon filter inside and connect the air extractor to it, but I sometimes do it backwards, so the air gets pumped into the carbon filter and released in the room.

So I wanted to put filter the pollen out before it gets sucked by the air extractor.
Ok I see, a filter for the filter. Sure, why not. I think it is unnecessary for the unwanted pollination but might keep the carbon filter running longer.

mudballs

You have to open the tents to maintain the plants...pollen will travel, you will not have an easy time keeping pollen off plants you don't want pollen to get to if the male is in the same room

endgegner

You have to open the tents to maintain the plants...pollen will travel, you will not have an easy time keeping pollen off plants you don't want pollen to get to if the male is in the same room
That's true, since it is just a 30x30x60 tent I can see if I can put it into the kitchen with windows closed or bathroom. There I have an air extractor, that can suck a lot of pollen outside, when handling the tent.

revegeta666

Hi, I wanted to pollinate some females with one male plant, but it is in the same living room as the flowering tent. So I am a bit concerned, that the pollen might fly to my budding plants.

While looking for solutions, I have found this:

My plan was to do this:
aluflex tube > filter box > air exhaust fan > carbon filter

Everything is outside, as I want to save space in my 30x30x60cm tent (for obvious reasons)

Is this enough?
No, it's not gonna be enough. Unless you have a real water filter, and even then as mudballs said you have to open the tents to tend to the plants. Pollen will most likely fly around the room every time you open the tent.

Best to keep the males in a different room with no ventilation. Even better if you take clones of the males and keep them in a glass of water and throw the rest of the plant away. You only need a little male bud to pollinate a football field

endgegner

No, it's not gonna be enough. Unless you have a real water filter, and even then as mudballs said you have to open the tents to tend to the plants. Pollen will most likely fly around the room every time you open the tent.

Best to keep the males in a different room with no ventilation. Even better if you take clones of the males and keep them in a glass of water and throw the rest of the plant away. You only need a little male bud to pollinate a football field
Ok, thank you, then I will look into the bathroom or kitchen solution.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pollen is crazy it gets everywhere easily. Even if you you hepa filters on intake, the tents are never 100% airtight and pollen will enter the female tent through zips, cable ducts etc. or when you open the tent. What you can do however is have the tent with the male under constant negative pressure and vented through a hepa filter AND carbon scrubber. This will with good enough certainty keep all pollen inside the male tent.
Is that maybe what you meant?
Good luck man
CC

revegeta666

Ok, thank you, then I will look into the bathroom or kitchen solution.
Another thing I would suggest is once the males open their flowers, anytime you're gonna touch them or collect pollen, do it just before you hit the shower. In case some pollen could have gotten stuck to your clothes just so you don't carry it around the house.

endgegner

Pollen is crazy it gets everywhere easily. Even if you you hepa filters on intake, the tents are never 100% airtight and pollen will enter the female tent through zips, cable ducts etc. or when you open the tent. What you can do however is have the tent with the male under constant negative pressure and vented through a hepa filter AND carbon scrubber. This will with good enough certainty keep all pollen inside the male tent.
Is that maybe what you meant?
Good luck man
CC
I really don't understand what you mean with negative pressure and hwo to achieve it. But to be honest, I will just wait until the male throws some pollen after five weeks, pollinates the females, collect some pollen and then kill the male plant. I think it will be more convenient.

endgegner

Another thing I would suggest is once the males open their flowers, anytime you're gonna touch them or collect pollen, do it just before you hit the shower. In case some pollen could have gotten stuck to your clothes just so you don't carry it around the house.
I already had this in mind. I wanted to shower my clothes and myself immediately. Or just do it naked in the first place. Nudism rules!

endgegner

I totally do get naked to collect pollen then jump in the shower 😹 Nothing wrong with that lol
Sadly, the bathroom is directly to my living room, thinking a bit further it will probably get into it. So I use the kitchen. But I can still wash my clothes immediately there.

goingrey

Pollen isn't that crazy
I really don't understand what you mean with negative pressure and hwo to achieve it. But to be honest, I will just wait until the male throws some pollen after five weeks, pollinates the females, collect some pollen and then kill the male plant. I think it will be more convenient.
Negative pressure is achieved by having a powerful enough extractor fan for the intakes. You see it by having the walls of the tent cave in.

Pollen isn't that crazy though. It's a solid powder, not like a gas that permeates the air entirely. I mean sure a spec or two might find it's way through a filter and then in turn become a seed or two but usually that won't be an issue.

Many times I have successfully pollinated individual branches with pollen without the rest of the plant or other plants in the tent getting seeded. All that I've done is turned off the fans, pollinated some pistils with a brush or q-tip, waited about an hour, then sprayed everything down and turned on the fan again.

The males I've kept in the shower under a low power CFL for pollen harvesting. But I don't recommend this method any longer after some failures. Without proper light it's very tricky to time it right. Too early and you don't get much pollen, too late and they bust while still in the tent and the whole crop gets dusted. Maybe next time I will use a 100W LED floodlight or the like.

endgegner

Negative pressure is achieved by having a powerful enough extractor fan for the intakes. You see it by having the walls of the tent cave in.

Pollen isn't that crazy though. It's a solid powder, not like a gas that permeates the air entirely. I mean sure a spec or two might find it's way through a filter and then in turn become a seed or two but usually that won't be an issue.

Many times I have successfully pollinated individual branches with pollen without the rest of the plant or other plants in the tent getting seeded. All that I've done is turned off the fans, pollinated some pistils with a brush or q-tip, waited about an hour, then sprayed everything down and turned on the fan again.

The males I've kept in the shower under a low power CFL for pollen harvesting. But I don't recommend this method any longer after some failures. Without proper light it's very tricky to time it right. Too early and you don't get much pollen, too late and they bust while still in the tent and the whole crop gets dusted. Maybe next time I will use a 100W LED floodlight or the like.
Thank you. Then I will just put it into the bathroom next door, I personally don't mind about a few seeds here and there. I even grew some bag seeds and didn't care about the weed being seeded again. It turned out to be fully seedless though.

Latest posts

Latest posts