What's new

I used already brewed coffee grinds to pH Down. What would happen?

ice minus

Hi there

We make minimum 2-4 espresso per day in our house between me and the wife. I heard coffee is acidic so just for fun I stuck my pH pen in a litre of water and added already brewed leftover grinds to bring the water from 8.1 to 6.5

Then I ran the concoction through a chemex filter to remove all of the actual solids

And I am left with a brown transparent liquid with a pH of 6.5

What would happen if I dumped it on a plant in veg? Or used it as a starter liquid to a quick castings tea for example?

I'm assuming it has some nitrogen but doubt it would be enough to be instant toxic. Or would I be wrong?

I didn't feed anything lol but I have too many plants in veg right now, maybe I should sacrifice one as a test dummy

Attachments

• PXL_20240521_173426981.jpg
    PXL_20240521_173426981.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 10

moose eater

Limited value as 'organic' or 'natural' ph down, but it is acidic and will help a bit.

The used grounds have a limited amount of nitrogen, too, but more if you use unused coffee... not that many would use such a spendy item as a soil amendment.

ice minus

We "produce" up to 60g per day of brewed coffee grinds, if I could use the grinds themselves for any purpose that would be amazing! Without composting though

I don't have a worm bin or compost area yet sadly. I would do worm bin my garage but I'd assume they'd freeze solid in the winter and not able to bring it indoors

moose eater

Is this hard to do? I'd start right away with the right directions
You can make your own bokashi bran or order it online. If you research whose product is better reviewed, you might benefit from that.

It essentially speeds up the breakdown of your organic material in composting. I add a bit of it (bokashi bran with limited EM1) to my organic soilless mixes.

Note that it will add 'some' sulfur to your mixes, and molasses is often a part of the bokashi bran.

ice minus

I have a half used bag of this stuff:

But I'm guessing this might be the already finished product instead of the starter?

Or can I use this?

It was expensive as hell and I never noticed it do anything significant, one of my more wasteful purchases tbh UNLESS, and it's likely, I simply didn't use enough

moose eater

I have a half used bag of this stuff:

But I'm guessing this might be the already finished product instead of the starter?

Or can I use this?

It was expensive as hell and I never noticed it do anything significant, one of my more wasteful purchases tbh UNLESS, and it's likely, I simply didn't use enough
That appears to be a finished bokashi bran product.

I don't use a whole lot of the stuff.

The EM1 (which is 'sort of' referenced on your product's label) is often added when making your own bokashi bran, but for the hassle and time, if you're not treating a whole field, a little bit goes a long way.

It's essentially adding microbes that will speed the breakdown of any organics in your mixes.

Again, it carries molasses and, thereby, increased sulfur. The only reason I add that tidbit is that when I was looking for ways to reduce sulfur in my mixes, as the numbers were WAY high, this was one suspect that I chose to target and reduced a bit in volume/ratio.

**Not all products are the same quality.

**I add a shitload of organics to my mixes, thus my interest in expediting their composting, due to my frequent/intermittent short-sightedness and lethargy where timing some of my mixes is involved and giving (or not giving) them sufficient time to 'evolve' before putting them to use.

Latest posts

Latest posts