What's new

What strains for breeding a german genetic?

Cuddles

Photoperiod can give good results up North just aswell. It kinda depends on the season; some summers can be extemely wet (most auto's rot away before your eyes), while you can have a good sunny autumn with photoperiod strains finishing very well into november at lat 53.

I think good resistance against humidity/mold, cold/hot temperature swings and relative light sensitivity is more important.

Maybe semi-auto's are a nice compromize between both worlds. But then again, you come straight back to the Scandinavian (and the oldschool Dutch/Swiss) outdoor genetics you mentioned.
semi-autos - do you mean a strain such as white widow ? It´s the only one I can think of right now :) Can you give us some examples of semi-auto strains ? :)

endgegner

semi-autos - do you mean a strain such as white widow ? It´s the only one I can think of right now :) Can you give us some examples of semi-auto strains ? :)

"The semi-auto trait means that the Lebanese usually blooms after a month and a half of vegetative growth, and is ready to harvest some time between the end of September and the beginning of October. As a result, ACE Seeds recommends cultivating its Lebanese variety directly in large pots to maximise growth before the onset of flowering."

Asentrouw

Never heard this in that context. :unsure: Went on google and found weapons... 😂

Yeah that's another semi-auto. 🤣

Auto's usually contain ruderalis genes.

Semi-auto's are just very light sensitive photoperiod plants without ruderalis.

Hence they flower earlier - usually end of summer and finish somewhere in autumn in northern climates.

Lebanese and Maroc landraces come to mind. But a lot of succesfull northern genetics (Royal Dane, Guerilla Gold, Friesland, etc.) also carry this trait.

Cuddles

"The semi-auto trait means that the Lebanese usually blooms after a month and a half of vegetative growth, and is ready to harvest some time between the end of September and the beginning of October. As a result, ACE Seeds recommends cultivating its Lebanese variety directly in large pots to maximise growth before the onset of flowering."
cool, thanks for this tip (y) I guess they come in handy if you want want to harvest earlier or growing outdoors or not entirely legally (according to the description in the link) :)

Lebanizer

Never heard this in that context. :unsure: Went on google and found weapons... 😂
Don't waste your time with that. It's useless for your needs. A semi-auto is a confusing misnomer as it's really just a regular photoperiodic strain just like any other but with a little (useless) twist: under stressful conditions, it flowers undependently of day length. What stressful conditions ? Usually stuff like being root bound. But that's not what you want. What you want is a strain that always flowers during the best sunny time of the year under your clime, so your flowers can ripen gloriously and pump out stratospheric resin. It should be able to flower under healthy condition or stressful condition undependently. For people who grow above 45N (I grow at 49N), it's sad in a way because we have to let go of the dream of being able to grow outdoors any of the cannabis we want and love. It's just a fact one has to come to terms with. Auto is the way to go (<----- it rhymes) !

endgegner

Don't waste your time with that. It's useless for your needs. A semi-auto is a confusing misnomer as it's really just a regular photoperiodic strain just like any other but with a little (useless) twist: under stressful conditions, it flowers undependently of day length. What stressful conditions ? Usually stuff like being root bound. But that's not what you want. What you want is a strain that always flowers during the best sunny time of the year under your clime, so your flowers can ripen gloriously and pump out stratospheric resin. It should be able to flower under healthy condition or stressful condition undependently. For people who grow above 45N (I grow at 49N), it's sad in a way because we have to let go of the dream of being able to grow outdoors any of the cannabis we want and love. It's just a fact one has to come to terms with. Auto is the way to go (<----- it rhymes) !
I was planing on growing the Lebenase strain above, how does keeping a mom works with semi autos? Should you rather replace the moms every while instead of removing the roots?

Lebanizer

I was planing on growing the Lebenase strain above, how does keeping a mom works with semi autos? Should you rather replace the moms every while instead of removing the roots?
Difficult because them being root bound will trigger flowering. You'll need huge pots and extended periods of daylight.

Asentrouw

Don't waste your time with that. It's useless for your needs. A semi-auto is a confusing misnomer as it's really just a regular photoperiodic strain just like any other but with a little (useless) twist: under stressful conditions, it flowers undependently of day length. What stressful conditions ? Usually stuff like being root bound.

That's nonsense. I grown quite some semi-auto's - the only difference is that they start flowering earlier (for instance already at 16 light/8 dark instead of the usual 12/12).

So basically they simply flower earlier in the season, hence they finish earlier, which is great for northern climates because end of autumn the weather and light hours rapidly deteriorates.

For the rest they are exactly the same as any other photoperiod strain.

If you handle them right there is no stress. Just don't put them out to early, because they can start to reveg. Also under artificial lights they can cause some problems. Any plant that's rootbound will get problems and might induce flowering. But overall outside they grow like any other photoperiod strain; just finish earlier and thus remain a bit smaller (less yield).

So the twist is not autoflowering under stress, but that they have higher light sensitivity then most other strains. Which is a big plus in the north, because it will start flowering in july instead of september.

Ofcourse it's difficult to keep a semi-auto motherplant. But then again making clones and motherplants with ruderalis autoflowers will be much harder. 😅

Last edited:

Lebanizer

That's nonsense. I grown quite some semi-auto's - the only difference is that they start flowering earlier (for instance already at 16 light/8 dark instead of the usual 12/12).

So basically they simply flower earlier in the season, hence they finish earlier, which is great for northern climates because end of autumn the weather and light hours rapidly deteriorates.

For the rest they are exactly the same as any other photoperiod strain.

If you handle them right there is no stress. Just don't put them out to early, because they can start to reveg. Also under artificial lights they can cause some problems. Any plant that's rootbound will get problems and might induce flowering. But overall outside they grow like any other photoperiod strain; just finish earlier and thus remain a bit smaller (less yield).

So the twist is not autoflowering under stress, but that they have higher light sensitivity then most other strains. Which is a big plus in the north, because it will start flowering in july instead of september.

Ofcourse it's difficult to keep a semi-auto motherplant. But then again making clones and motherplants with ruderalis autoflowers will be much harder. 😅
What is nonsense is that you write that's it's nonsense and proceed to repeat everything I said.

Asentrouw

What is nonsense is that you write that's it's nonsense and proceed to repeat everything I said.

You wrote "a semi-auto is a confusing misnomer as it's really just a regular photoperiodic strain just like any other but with a little (useless) twist: under stressful conditions, it flowers undependently of day length. What stressful conditions ? Usually stuff like being root bound."

I don't agree with that, because its not the stressfull condition that triggers flowering.

It's still the day length that triggers flowering, only sooner then most other photoperiod strains.

So the only thing what differentiates them, is that they start flowering earlier in the season. Which seems very usefull to me. In fact it's exactly what you need as a northern grower.

No insult intended.

The part I agree with is that stressing it, can cause certain problems (like with any other plant). But it's not needed to trigger the flowering.

I'm growing in the north and overall semi-auto's work better for me then ruderalis auto's. Overall the semi-auto's get bigger and are much better suited for the climate here at lat 53. So personally I wouldn't write them off for German growers yet.

Last edited:

Asentrouw

Well but how does it work? i dont even have a clue how they do autos.
are there male autos? where can i get those?

Auto's contain part ruderalis genes, what causes them to flower independently from day length.

Just like any other cannabis strain you have male and female auto's. If you cross them you need to breed them specifically into that autoflowering trait (because part is also photoperiod genes).

Personally I'm not a big fan of these, as most stay quite small and ruderalis overall lacks some potency.

I also think they don't perform that well in my climate (maritime lat 53), are relatively susceptible to mold, etc. Probably due to indoor genetics they breed into it to raise the potency.

But they are big hype these days because of their ease, so there is a lot of improvement in auto genetics. For sure some auto strains can be found that wil suit your needs and perform well.

Personally I'd go with the semi-auto's. Indeed just photoperiod plants, but with a earlier flowering trait.

These basically are the backbone for many old Dutch, Scandinavian and Canadian outdoor strains. So these should be quite suited and acclimatized for the German climate already, which is very simular.

Last edited:

Asentrouw

Guerilla Gold, Auto Affie, Royal Dane, (Purple) Maroc, Leb27, Dame Blanche, M33 Friesland, Maverick etc. etc.

Basically most northern guerilla strains can be called "semi-auto" or just early photoperiod/light sensitive or whatever.

Atleast before the autoflowers made their entrance.

Last edited:

Cuddles

Guerilla Gold, Auto Affie, Royal Dane, (Purple) Maroc, Leb27, Dame Blanche, M33 Friesland, Maverick etc. etc.

Basically most northern guerilla strains can be called "semi-auto" or just early photoperiod/light sensitive or whatever.

Atleast before the autoflowers made their entrance.
thanks! :)

Cuddles

Well but how does it work? i dont even have a clue how they do autos.
are there male autos? where can i get those?
In order to get male plants you need to get your hands on regular seeds ;) Which has sadly become very, very difficult these days.

Many (or even most, I dare say) auto strains you see around were initially crossed lowryder in order to create a new auto strain.

So, if you wish to create your own new strain you just have to get both strains -preferably both regular rather than feminized I would say and take it from there :)

btw. They used to say that your can´t breed with feminized (ie 1 plant being feminized) but apparantly this may not be not 100% true after all. I´ve never tried it so far but I think others have.

Last edited:

revegeta666

Like @Asentrouw said I would look into these "semi auto" strains as many hybrids made with these genetics were developed in northern Europe and will probably deal better with low temps etc. Erdpurt comes to mind.

In any case if you want to breed only for yourself and this is a possibility for you, I would consider looking into light deprivation. If this way of growing fits with your lifestyle you can grow pretty much any normal photoperiod strain you want without compromising quality.

I would consider every other option rather than introducing ruderalis genetics into your crosses.

Asentrouw

btw. They used to say that your can´t breed with feminized (ie 1 plant being feminized) but apparantly this may not be not 100% true after all. I´ve never tried it so far but I think others have.

You could self it with STS or maybe even collodial silver. However, the next generation will also be all females.

It's easier to just buy regular seeds, although that might limit the choice somewhat.

I would look into 'Soviet Finland Seeds', these have regular auto's, accustomed to the northern climate. La Buena Hierba also sells regular auto's, but the few ones I tried from him were not very stable (could be good for phenohunting ofcourse).

Cuddles

You could self it with STS or maybe even collodial silver. However, the next generation will also be all females.

It's easier to just buy regular seeds, although that might limit the choice somewhat.

I would look into 'Soviet Finland Seeds', these have regular auto's, accustomed to the northern climate. La Buena Hierba also sells regular auto's, but the few ones I tried from him were not very stable (could be good for phenohunting ofcourse).
I´m sorry but I´m not sure what STS stands for

Asentrouw

I´m sorry but I´m not sure what STS stands for

Silver Thiosulfate, but that probably doesn't ring a bell either. 😅

It's one of the chemicals they use to "feminize" seeds.

Basically it grows balls on females and with this herma-action without a male all the offspring of these seeds will also be all female.

Hence the feminized seeds you can buy everywhere these days. 😉

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
In the other hand i think the ruderalis option also reduces quality of the effects, not bad but just like fast-food.

To breed best quality i think the acclimatization from landrace selection would be better, longer process but best potencial. And anyway with time the quality will decrease at northern latitude so i think it's preferable to work really potent stuff from the start.

Latest posts

Latest posts