What's new

The DEA to move cannabis from Schedule I to Schedule III

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You guys are a joke. Get over yourselves. THE FEDS DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT OVERGROW.COM FORUM ANYMORE!

You guys can stop wearing gloves when you fill out your seed order forms now.
So not only are you assuming that your veteran status makes you better than someone else around here, now, you're disrespecting people who were in this game while you were still shitting in your hands and wiping it on your face?
Why are you even here?

PadawanWarrior

Typical right-wingers. It is impossible to keep you people happy so I don't think anybody should bother trying anymore. Let the rest of us enjoy some PROGRESS without the mouth breathers crying about how bad they personally have it while dragging down everyone else.
you-people-tropic-thunder.gif

moose eater

Schedule 3 drugs in the 1970 Controlled Substances Act simply include most or many drugs deemed by the DoJ and others (you know, the righteous self-appointed 'drug experts') to have less potential for abuse than Schedules 1 or 2, but still falling into a 'controlled substance' category that requires Rx, etc. as a rule.

While this will make research easier for those focused on cannabis, research could take place before, though via a more problematic application process via the DEA and FDA, et al, and which was often/sometimes sabotaged.

Not to include the discussion of implications for legal cannabis states too much, but the feds have held that none of us could walk around with any Schedule 3 substances in our pockets without a proper prescription. That I know of, this has not changed.

I doubt the feds will be any more prone to pursuing cannabis busts of lesser importance under the new classification/categorization than they were under the previous categorization.

But if many states disregarded federal schedule 1 status for pot, allowing cannabis businesses and home-grows to continue, I doubt moving it to schedule 3 will cause many of them nightmares re. some opportunity for enforcement or another slipping by them or negatively affecting them. Though the dyed-in-the-wool prohibitionists might make a pitch for such unproven absurdities and 'fears'.

Bottom line is the legal states seem to like that tax money from cannabis businesses, and most of the federal threats from yesteryear about withholding federal moneys to those states unless they got onboard with the federal nonsense laws have not materialized in modern times.

So, as Wayne and Garth would say, "Party on, dudes!"

We grew, smoked and sold weed when it was a felony in many places to do so. Is there illogical stuff in the feds' positions? Yep, always has been. Did this bill change any of that? Nope.

If anyone needs me, I'll be wringing my hands in righteous indignation over in the 'war' thread, or posting good tunes in the music thread... for the most part.

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

While this will make research easier for those focused on cannabis, research could take place before, though via a more problematic application process which the DEA and FDA, et al, and which was often/sometimes sabotaged.
For me, that is the _only_ takeaway in this whole thing, because I'm in a prohibition state that will _never_ allow me to develop cannabis like I'm doing now.

The number of hoops research institutions have to jump through to study cannabis, LSD, and other Schedule I drugs is simply in-fucking-surmountable, unless you're backed by big drug companies.

This will actually allow in-depth studies on the efficacy of cannabis to treat a myriad number of diseases. Institutions simply aren't thinking about doing complicated research now, because of all the bullshit they have to go through, just to get standard dosage, medically pure, cannabis so they can conduct double-blind A/B testing.

On cannabis at least, the DEA is surrendering and that can definitely not be anything other than a very _good_ fucking thing.

This doesn't have shit to do with politics, this is the DEA realizing they've lost and they're tired of fucking with cannabis.

moose eater

For me, that is the _only_ takeaway in this whole thing, because I'm in a prohibition state that will _never_ allow me to develop cannabis like I'm doing now.

The number of hoops research institutions have to jump through to study cannabis, LSD, and other Schedule I drugs is simply in-fucking-surmountable, unless you're backed by big drug companies.

This will actually allow in-depth studies on the efficacy of cannabis to treat a myriad number of diseases. Institutions simply aren't thinking about doing complicated research now, because of all the bullshit they have to go through, just to get standard dosage, medically pure, cannabis so they can conduct double-blind A/B testing.

On cannabis at least, the DEA is surrendering and that can definitely not be anything other than a very _good_ fucking thing.

This doesn't have shit to do with politics, this is the DEA realizing they've lost and they're tired of fucking with cannabis.
Yep.

And that's a part of why pro-pot, or at least more fair behavioral studies like Prof Robbe's studies, 'Marijuana and Actual Driving Performance' and 'Marijuana, Alcohol and Actual Driving Performance' (both conducted sometime around 1990-1991; my remaining copies are in the basement archives, or I'd be more definitive) were done in Holland and not the US, though ironically and humorously, with USDOT/NHTSB grant funds/subsidy. (*USDOT, and Uncle Sam, in general, clearly didn't get the outcomes they'd likely hoped for..). :)

And why their 'abstracts' from those studies, available online, are somewhat less gracious than the actual complete studies, which may still be available in hard copy from USDOT/NHTSB.

moose eater

I used to buy beautiful custom spring knives from an old boy in Kentucky more than a few years ago (I suspect he's dead now), and in violation of federal (and State) law (the Lacey Act), I sent him an old 'shed' moose antler for his use in making knife scales when he had been righteously kind to me in a transaction. Both of those acts were in violation of federal law, though not hunted or funded in the same way as pot laws have been (though the Lacey Act is often enforced by US Fish & Wildlife and the results can be serious).

I think most of us will be unphased by any of the dance going on right now. Other than for easier research permits or licensing.