Not open for further replies.

Farma

Lowland copperhead

picture.php

T

Teddybrae

Camouflage in the Forest

Camouflage in the Forest

These are Stone Curlews. They live near our place. We assume they've moved here because there is water.

picture.php

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
those guys are some of the weirdest birds ,
they kinda look like a road runner i think ,,

weirdly sneaky during nesting and wont move even if you eventually discover where they are ,

and that noise they make at night ffs ,, used to scare the shit out of me when i was a youngster ....
though these days i kinda like it ...

H

hard rain

Great pics of the stone curlew. We get them here as well. You see them in all sorts of weird places, like standing in shop fronts, driveways e.t.c. Saw one just in front of the foyer of the entertainment centre in Brisbane once. Couldn't believe it.

And yes really eerie call when you first hear their call, wtf was that!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Under all this smoke and fire lately - I reckon much of Australia's wildlife is suffering right now - around Sydney and beyond - my thoughts are with the poor little buggers - and the great big roo's hopping around trying to avoid the fires - that video recently on world release of the charred and burnt koala bears really got me sad -

H

hard rain

We had rainforest burn in winter this year. Unheard of. I walked through it the week before and it felt dry which is really strange. It's always wet in a rainforest.

Drought and fires here have been dreadful and a lot of natural habitat and wildlife lost, possibly irreplaceable. It's very sad.

T

Teddybrae

Well Gypsy there was wildfire at Nimbin. Usually a place that's soggy and wet.

This current situation is a freakout for all the back-to-the-landers. A long term intentional community called Wytalibah further south than Nimbin was burnt out. People died trying to get out.

The Queensland government has banned development in Koala habitat areas but around here it's too late. Besides having a venereal disease (Clamydia) decimate their numbers ... koalas need to come out of their trees to drink during drought time when there is insufficient water in the leaves of their trees. They have no defences and of course become dingo or wild dog prey at that time.
Altho we live beside a large national park we have not seen or heard koalas for maybe 8 years.

We have plenty of underground water and we're comfortable here while watching the wildlife disappear. We've even lost our resident Possum probably to Powerful Owls altho there are cats around here too.

We're actually feeling somewhat afraid at what the weather may do next!

Under all this smoke and fire lately - I reckon much of Australia's wildlife is suffering right now - around Sydney and beyond - my thoughts are with the poor little buggers - and the great big roo's hopping around trying to avoid the fires - that video recently on world release of the charred and burnt koala bears really got me sad -

T

Teddybrae

TAIPAN on the Verandah

TAIPAN on the Verandah

Check this. Scary one this Feller! More pics to see in my Nature Album

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I walk past this hole each morning ,

since it began , i could see the excess soil that had been removed from the hole ,
you guys can guess whats in there ,,lol ...

i already know, its probably not a hard guess , and i think its a pretty good size given the hole is quite large ...

picture.php

picture.php

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I walk past this hole each morning ,

since it began , i could see the excess soil that had been removed from the hole ,
you guys can guess whats in there ,,lol ...

i already know, its probably not a hard guess , and i think its a pretty good size given the hole is quite large ...

View Image

View Image

G'day Wal

Merry christmas or how they say in Scandinavia God Jul.

Is that the one who got Frodo in LOTR? :D

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Happy solstice mex ,,,

yes i reckon that would be one of those frodo hunters ,, lol ..

be cool to set up some kind of camera to enable us to watch him come out of his hole ,
we have a few sorts of tarantula here it seems , so i wonder what that guy is ,
amazing how a spider can dig a hole in such difficult ground i reckon ,
their legs dont seem particularly strong really , but that hole seems quite deep ..

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
That would be fun in a Richard Attenborough style recording with some scary music at the background.:laughing:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
some sort of tarantula i think hard rain ,
ive seen a few what they call whistling spiders ,

but there is more than one type of tarantula here ,

i may be able to lure him out by tickling the web with a bit of grass or something i guess ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts