What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Selecting away from hermaphrodism in a heavily hermaphroditic strain?

Finepointcanon

Veteran
Hi guys :)

Right after Thailand legalized I was in a wet market in the middle of nowhere in Isaan and an older man there was selling flowering female cannabis plants. He seemed cool, and he made me understand that these ones are very good. I grew a few of the seeds and they are majorly hermaphroditic, with a super strong lemon smell. The seeds came from one plant that was super vigorous, and one that was small and mutated. I smoked one that didn't herm but was way too early to be ripe and it had that forehead sweaty creeper effect, like the electric calm trippy thing that a lot of Thais have. Of course I didn't get the full effect.

Now, I have a lot of other stable Thai strains, and some flo/f13 f2s and hybrids waiting for the rain, but for some reason I am called to grow that man's strain. I grew about 20, and more than half hermed very strongly, the rest either hermed less, or appeared stable but flowered for what would have been like a year if I'd let them go. (I culled because I was intentionally making seeds with the f13 and didn't want stowaways)

I know that people do this, but is it as simple as growing 100 seeds and culling any sign of hermaphrodism? Is it normal to accept some hermaphrodism if the plant is of exceptional quality otherwise? Or is hybridizing and the going through f2s how this is generally achieved?

Sorry if these are basic questions, I have read books about this but I appreciate discussion with others.

Thank you!

I may actually have a pic of the plants from that dude.
20221118_182621.jpg
Ok well unfortunate only this one, but the dragonfly looks cool.

igrowone

Veteran
I dabble in this myself, can't tell you what the accepted practices are as I've not seen them
so far I've done some F2s with a stable mother crossed to a hermie shemale
results look promising at the moment but your mileage may vary

Finepointcanon

Veteran
Thanks for the reply. Depending on how full my plate is I'll likely cross with f13 and ethiopian for some hybrid / sativa hybrid seeds to go through and hit the f2s. Mainly I liked the vibe of the dude selling the plants and want to see what he's been working with I think.

gaslit_kush_co

Hi guys :)

Right after Thailand legalized I was in a wet market in the middle of nowhere in Isaan and an older man there was selling flowering female cannabis plants. He seemed cool, and he made me understand that these ones are very good. I grew a few of the seeds and they are majorly hermaphroditic, with a super strong lemon smell. The seeds came from one plant that was super vigorous, and one that was small and mutated. I smoked one that didn't herm but was way too early to be ripe and it had that forehead sweaty creeper effect, like the electric calm trippy thing that a lot of Thais have. Of course I didn't get the full effect.

Now, I have a lot of other stable Thai strains, and some flo/f13 f2s and hybrids waiting for the rain, but for some reason I am called to grow that man's strain. I grew about 20, and more than half hermed very strongly, the rest either hermed less, or appeared stable but flowered for what would have been like a year if I'd let them go. (I culled because I was intentionally making seeds with the f13 and didn't want stowaways)

I know that people do this, but is it as simple as growing 100 seeds and culling any sign of hermaphrodism? Is it normal to accept some hermaphrodism if the plant is of exceptional quality otherwise? Or is hybridizing and the going through f2s how this is generally achieved?

Sorry if these are basic questions, I have read books about this but I appreciate discussion with others.

Thank you!

I may actually have a pic of the plants from that dude. View attachment 18989854 Ok well unfortunate only this one, but the dragonfly looks cool.
I'd say f2 if you don't wanna deal with the year long flowering time

Latest posts

Latest posts