What's new

Real Life - contribute freely

Chi13

ICMag Donor
My daily routine is to have a vape, or some cannabis oil, and go for a walk in my local park around dusk, which has huge gum trees and follows a tidal creek with mangroves. I see a lot of birdlife, lizards (water dragons), the odd snake and even some marsupial gliders. Been doing this for almost a decade.

A while ago I was walking through a cloud of insects and I became aware of these small black shapes fluttering around me. They were fast and I couldn't make out what they were at first but then caught a silhouette of some bat wings! They were microbats. Now I know what they are I spot them every day at dusk, but was previously totally unaware.

Years ago I saw one up close. My wife and I were lying in bed and my wife screamed, "a bat". I looked up and one was hanging from a curtain. I couldn't care less but wife insisted I catch it an put it out. Easier said. About 2 hours of chasing this thing around the house I eventually got it in the bathroom and closed the door with me inside. Another half hour of throwing a towel at the little creature, I caught it. Up close it was like a cute mini gargoyle. Lovely critters.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My daily routine is to have a vape, or some cannabis oil, and go for a walk in my local park around dusk, which has huge gum trees and follows a tidal creek with mangroves. I see a lot of birdlife, lizards (water dragons), the odd snake and even some marsupial gliders. Been doing this for almost a decade.

A while ago I was walking through a cloud of insects and I became aware of these small black shapes fluttering around me. They were fast and I couldn't make out what they were at first but then caught a silhouette of some bat wings! They were microbats. Now I know what they are I spot them every day at dusk, but was previously totally unaware.

Years ago I saw one up close. My wife and I were lying in bed and my wife screamed, "a bat". I looked up and one was hanging from a curtain. I couldn't care less but wife insisted I catch it an put it out. Easier said. About 2 hours of chasing this thing around the house I eventually got it in the bathroom and closed the door with me inside. Another half hour of throwing a towel at the little creature, I caught it. Up close it was like a cute mini gargoyle. Lovely critters.
Back where I lived in the Canadian wilderness, there was a changing of the bug guard at dusk to dark; sparrows then nighthawks then bats.

moose eater

We're light all night at this point.

Those coy-wolves or coy-dogs being in the range of 80 to 100 lbs. would put them on par, weight-wise, with our wolves here.

I loathe the folks currently killing brown bears and grizzlies from helicopters to 'control the population of 'predators'. We saw the same shit go on with wolves for years.

The informal study in the Kenai Moose Refuge in the early 1970's ('72 or '74; can't recall which right now), which I studied with an Arctic Biology professor in the early 1980s, proved that the more population control is done that way with wolves, and based on the way wolves determine pack size and territory, it backfires hugely, and a wolf population will actually expand and become greater in number per pack, and greater numbers of packs when done that way.

But the Bubbas apparently feel like they're accomplishing something. It is, but not what they think or want. That form of wolf control is akin to a bad heroin or alcohol addiction. You have to keep feeding it, and it gradually becomes worse.

But we're slow learners, and we fail to see that the biggest change to management of those populations re. predators, whether Dall sheep, caribou, or moose, is US. We're the newest addition on the scene fucking up the balance. The rest of them were here for thousands of years, and they seemed to go through their population swings just fine.

But Alaska has gone from 350,000 people in the later 1970s, to now being about 730,000 conservatively estimating.

Yet many people still want to have a moose in the freezer, or their household quota of dip-net or subsistence caught salmon, as our rivers lose their runs, largely (in my opinion) to the should-be-criminalized trawler fleet fishing for pollack and wanting to use miles of bottom-drag nets that bring up everything under the Sun, all of which has to be thrown back if it's not their target species. Ought to be criminal. If folks fucked up their packing around their prop shafts and disabled their bilge pumps, en masse, I'd applaud and open a beer... maybe even make a deluxe pizza.

Back to the graphically sometimes-cruel reality of nature, the other day I watched a video of a grizzly taking down and chewing on the back of a young bison calf, as the calf struggled to lose the bear that was clinging to its spine with its teeth, while holding on to and ripping at the calf with its claws. I'd have to admit that I was upset at the bear and the graphic nature of the killing and feeding, though, in reality, the bear was simply doing what bears sometimes do; perpetuating its own life so as to perpetuate its species and feeding the way in which it feeds.

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We'[re light all night at this point.

Those coy-wolves or coy-dogs being in the range of 80 to 100 lbs. would put them on par, weight-wise, with our wolves here.

I loathe the folks currently killing brown bears and grizzlies from helicopters to 'control the population of 'predators'. We saw the same shit go on with wolves for years.

The informal study in the Kenai Moose Refuge in the early 1970's ('72 or '74; can't recall which right now), which I studied with an Arctic Biology professor in the early 1980s, proved that the more population control is done that way with wolves, and based on the way wolves determine pack aize and territory, it backfires hugely, and a wolf population will actually expand and become greater in number per pack, and greater numbers of packs when done that way.

But the Bubbas apparently feel like they're accomplishing something. It is, but not what they think or want. That form of wolf control is akin to a bad heroin or alcohol addiction. You have to keep feeding it, and it gradually becomes worse.

But we're slow learners, and we fail to see that the biggest change to management of those populations re. predators, whether Dall sheep, caribou, or moose, is US. We're the newest addition on the scene fucking up the balance. The rest of them were here for thousands of years, and they seemed to go through their population swings just fine.

But Alaksa has gone from 350,000 people in the later 1970s, to now being about 730,000 conservatively estimating.

Yet many people still want to have a moose in the freezer, or their household quota of dip-net or subsistence caught salmon, as our rivers lose their runs, largely (in my opinion) to the should-be-criminalized trawler fleet fishing for pollock and wanting to use miles of bottom-drag nets that bring up everything under the Sun, all of which has to be thrown back if it's not their target species. Ought to be criminal. If folks fucked up their packing around their prop shafts and disabled their bilge pumps, en masse, I'd applaud and open a beer... maybe even make a deluxe pizza.

Back to the graphically sometimes-cruel reality of nature, the other day I watched a video of a grizzly taking down and chewing on the back of a young bison calf, as the calf struggled to lose the bear that was clinging to its spine with its teeth, while holding on to and ripping at the calf with its claws. I'd have to admit that I was upset at the bear and the graphic nature of the killing and feeding, though, in reality, the bear was simply doing what bears sometimes do; perpetuating its own life so as to perpetuate its species and feeding the way in which it feeds.
I learned everything from nature. My life in the forest rooted me. The supposed 'control' of predator populations is akin to pesticides on mites - population explosion.

Unfortunately the 'regulated' hunting of ungulates does not work that way, except for unhunted species taking over. In my area, I watched as the mule deer population was decimated as every fukin city hunter went forth with his buck ticket to be able to show off the biggest rack; all the best breeding stock; plain stupid. Now the mulies are almost zero and white tails abound. We always filled our freezer with white tails.

I witnessed the effects of those bottom drag nets when the Canadian and US fishermen were having their dispute and one or t'other decided to ruin fishing by scooping every fish. I went to one of my favorite rock cod fishing spots in the inside passage and it was a graveyard, where normally you haul up one after the other. We are a fucked up species (or race) The westcoast indigenous people never caused such destruction over thousands of years.

moose eater

not really. it seems that "quality of life" is a thing even amongst "lower" life forms. most people don't kill THEIR kids, the neighbors kids need to pay attention though... stack enough folks on top of each other and watch the blood flow. :oops:
Boar bears are known to occasionally have a cub snack. And they didn't put the $400,000 into the unappreciative little tikes that some of us did.

Every now and again it crosses my mind that way back then, condoms were only about $1 each, and sperm banks/fertility clinics were paying for the privilege of whacking off in their rest rooms.

These days, as I stare at another hit of acid, or roll a joint, I consider what I could've done with $400k, and the amount of disappointment and triangulation I could've avoided altogether.

Not to mention, I bet a 'cub' has a lot of good protein and other nutrients in it. Like an early return on an investment of sorts. Think of it as a 9-month time-lock CD for the belly.

moose eater

1686897195271.png