What's new

Large Cannabis Farms Permitted in Oakland

Late Tuesday (7-20-10) night the Oakland "City's politicians" past measures to allow large cannabis farms. If you want to be one of these farmers, you need to come up with some cash: $5,000 for admin costs, "$3million for insurance"...don't know if that's in cash or a $3million insurance policy, and $211,000 a year to grow.

Needless to say this has the small farmers upset turning Cannabis "capitalist". Along with permitting large farms, the city is planning on raising it's 1.8% tax to 12%.

Seems it has started. Cannabis going from completely criminal to capital. My view on the political system...this will pass in Nov no matter how the votes come out. I had suspicion, and maybe it's my paranoia about our country, but it doesn't seem to matter how we vote anymore. They're gearing up for something that hasn't even passed yet, like they know it will. Why are these things (federal income tax, gold standard abolished, cannabis farms) always passed late at night under everyone's noses????

Good luck to all you small farmers out there...it's gonna get shitty. The price alone to be permitted to have a large farm absolutely ridiculous.

Here's your link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...arge_marijuana_farms_small_growers_upset.html

bbing

what kinda taxes are being paid by Pharma in this state?

i would hope our meds will not be taxed unfairly becuase of color........green

to get coverage for 3mil is not a lot of money. On a hiking trip we were covered for up to 1 or 2 mil including helicopter rescue and it was only in the hundreds for that coverage. might be a little more for extended coverage though.

nomaad

Veteran
to get coverage for 3mil is not a lot of money. On a hiking trip we were covered for up to 1 or 2 mil including helicopter rescue and it was only in the hundreds for that coverage. might be a little more for extended coverage though.

how long did that trip last? a couple of days? a week? Insurance costs are extremely high when you interpolate them to the entire year and add 10,000 lights and fire risk, etc...

in some industries insurance is crippling. medical malpractice insurance is so high in some places that Drs communte out of their own state to practice.

why do you need a large farm? small batch cannabis will be whats profitable. Just like organic or local food is popular now. If you can make gourmet food and sell it out of a food truck in austin then you can grow small batch organic/vegan pot and sell it.

also hash? this is where true artistry will come in. Grow great bud, cure it properly and then compress it properly to increase flavor. this takes skill.

what we need to keep our profits is a system to retain value. Fair trade standards applied to outdoor grown pot for instance.

A simple example: we as a community could decide that only pot trimmed by hand, with the trimmer making say $20 an hour, could be considered fair trade pot. This eliminates big business. No machine trimming.
OR
hash that is pressed by hand. think about it like free range chicken or grass fed cattle. People pay more for these products.

This is OUR government.
This is OUR economy.
This is OUR weed.

we control it. we pay their salaries. we need to stand together and do the smart thing.

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Late Tuesday (7-20-10) night the Oakland "City's politicians" past measures to allow large cannabis farms. If you want to be one of these farmers, you need to come up with some cash: $5,000 for admin costs, "$3million for insurance"...don't know if that's in cash or a $3million insurance policy, and $211,000 a year to grow.

Needless to say this has the small farmers upset turning Cannabis "capitalist". Along with permitting large farms, the city is planning on raising it's 1.8% tax to 12%.

Seems it has started. Cannabis going from completely criminal to capital. My view on the political system...this will pass in Nov no matter how the votes come out. I had suspicion, and maybe it's my paranoia about our country, but it doesn't seem to matter how we vote anymore. They're gearing up for something that hasn't even passed yet, like they know it will. Why are these things (federal income tax, gold standard abolished, cannabis farms) always passed late at night under everyone's noses????

Good luck to all you small farmers out there...it's gonna get shitty. The price alone to be permitted to have a large farm absolutely ridiculous.

Here's your link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...arge_marijuana_farms_small_growers_upset.html

Strange that the guy that sponsored prop 19 has all those resources in place and ready to go, kind of like he knew that when he was writing it.:chin:

so much for not going corporate...now if Prop 19 passes, and counties and cities can ban cannabis production, who do you think will be cashing in? Think Oaksterdam....Richard lee?

Strange that the guy that sponsored prop 19 has all those resources in place and ready to go, kind of like he knew that when he was writing it.
chin.gif

My thoughts exactly. This whole thing seems as rigged as a fixed boxing match. Lil too fishy for me.

Grass Lands

Veteran
why do you need a large farm? small batch cannabis will be whats profitable. Just like organic or local food is popular now. If you can make gourmet food and sell it out of a food truck in austin then you can grow small batch organic/vegan pot and sell it.

also hash? this is where true artistry will come in. Grow great bud, cure it properly and then compress it properly to increase flavor. this takes skill.

what we need to keep our profits is a system to retain value. Fair trade standards applied to outdoor grown pot for instance.

A simple example: we as a community could decide that only pot trimmed by hand, with the trimmer making say $20 an hour, could be considered fair trade pot. This eliminates big business. No machine trimming.
OR
hash that is pressed by hand. think about it like free range chicken or grass fed cattle. People pay more for these products.

This is OUR government.
This is OUR economy.
This is OUR weed.

we control it. we pay their salaries. we need to stand together and do the smart thing.

We think in similar paths....

When all the small growers pull together we will make one helluva a movement...we have the power in number folks, its time we get off out asses and quit bitching.

One more note folks. while we sit here bitching about losing we gain nothing but negative momentum...when in fact we need to turn our efforts to positive thinking and brainstorming on what we can do to combat the big corps....

I'm thinking a growers co-op, with only the finest strains. all hand tended plants, hand watered, hand trimmed, and cured to perfection...all product produced would supply the smoking lounge owned by the co-op, now this is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak. if anyone cares to add to this please fire away...

Peace
GL:tiphat:

johnnyla

Veteran
the guy who owns the warehouse funded prop 19? any more info on this? WTF?

this sucks. i hope someone torches that warehouse right before they harvest.

igrowone

Veteran
are the ground breakings for these factories imminent?
or has that not been announced yet?
the speed here is quite impressive, it's a little hard to understand what has gone on behind the scenes
at this rate, it sounds like DEA will part of the board of directors on these setups

The 211,000 is for oakland only, If prop 19 passes and you can get yur county to let you grow they will come up with there own guide lines fees ect. I think part of rihard lees plan was to give countys the power to say you cant grow, or make the fees so hi no one will so that 80% wont allow it and he can supply the clubs/stores in thoses countys and will argue that you cant denie accesss to marijuana. He maybe after a huge chunk of the market not just oakland. If he gets even 10-20% of cali market he would be making millions (a month)

B

Bud Bug

I don't think anyone should be surprised that money comes first. Now there might be dispensaries that truly are out to help out the sick but majority of them are out to make money - non profit organizations my ass.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran

OR

This is OUR government.
This is OUR economy.
This is OUR weed.

Screw the government, and screw the "Community" neither one has a right to tell me what to grow or not grow on my land. If no one wants my flowers because they don't have a "Fair Trade" "Government Approved" "Organic" or "Good House Keeping Seal of Approval." then that is their business. Neither I nor them should be forced to participate in ANY transaction against our will.

We don't control my land I do. I will not be paying ANYTHING additional to ANY government. If I had to PAY them it would not be a RIGHT, but my position is all HUMANS have the right to farm their own land as they see fit. I don't pay a permit fee or tax for ANY of the trees, shrubs, lawn, or weeds currently on my land.

Why should I have to pay if I CHOOSE to plant MJ?

:joint:

Screw the government, and screw the "Community" neither one has a right to tell me what to grow or not grow on my land. If no one wants my flowers because they don't have a "Fair Trade" "Government Approved" "Organic" or "Good House Keeping Seal of Approval." then that is their business. Neither I nor them should be forced to participate in ANY transaction against our will.

We don't control my land I do. I will not be paying ANYTHING additional to ANY government. If I had to PAY them it would not be a RIGHT, but my position is all HUMANS have the right to farm their own land as they see fit. I don't pay a permit fee or tax for ANY of the trees, shrubs, lawn, or weeds currently on my land.

Why should I have to pay if I CHOOSE to plant MJ?

:joint:

Dude i completely agree calm down. I don't want anything forced on me, but we as a community need ways to battle the influence of big business. Counter weights to their economic displacement.

These are standards that growers may voluntarily choose to employ. Nothing is being forced on anyone. If you can be profitable without said labels then more power to you. But facts are facts; exponentially increased supply will bring price down.

If we demand hand watered pot, we eliminate Dick Lee's advantage. If the market doesn't accept mass produced crap, what will happen? He will turn those pounds into butter or hash or he will hire teams of hand trimmers and hand waterers.erers. lol either way prices don;t plummet like everyone is worried about.

People still buy hand crafted: jewelery, whiskey, clothes, food, cars and houses at a huge markup. what makes you think they won't pay for hand crafted-locally produced-sustainably grown-vegan-organic-non gmo-non profit pot?

I'm trying to create a new market regulated by us for us.
by growers for growers.
by patients for patients.
Not by government for government.

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
If you build them...

The DEA will come.

And I ain't talking about NO Field of Dreams.

It would be a thorn on Uncle Scam's side...

Besides, in total contradiction with international drug treaties.

I wish the best but prepare for the worst.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran

OR

This is OUR government.
This is OUR economy.
This is OUR weed.

yep

igrowone

Veteran
If you build them...

The DEA will come.

And I ain't talking about NO Field of Dreams.

It would be a thorn on Uncle's Scam's side...

this is the million dollar question(probably more)
and people with this kind of money aren't tossing it down no rat holes
when they actually begin ground breaking on these setups, there has to be some big time deal going on
if they build them, they must know DEA won't touch them

so this will mean no legal small grows?

apparently not.

DeAngelo spoke on behalf of perhaps 250 local growers who supply Harborside and feel threatened by the rules, which would initially push growers into two camps: those under 96 square-feet that will not require a permit, and large football field-sized facilities which will need a permit.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/Legal...ividing-medical-cannabis-providers-in-oakland

and

The debate was heated in part because the proposed ordinance has gone through several revisions, and rumors have swirled about the regulations. City Council members said they received a flood of calls amid concerns that all dispensaries would be required to buy marijuana from the industrial facilities. But that is not a requirement.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/us/18bcmarijuana.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&fta=y

the bill clearly leaves room for smaller growers. And I assume that people under 96 sq ft will be categorized under Measure Z.