What's new

Conversation Starter - What's Your Favourite Whiskey?

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't forget to dump your heads :tiphat:

I save the foreshots for fuel for my new alcohol lamp. :) I don't know what I'll use it for, exactly, but it's fun. I could start reading books by lamplight or something.

I save the heads and tails for a future run through the reflux column. There's still a lot of good ethanol in the heads..

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Call me a purist... or a well established drunkard who has retained some pretentious habits from growing my own...

and allowed such habits to spill into my distillations.

Stickler or sibylline envoy...?

You decide.

I save my heads for general cleaning and use my tails for washing my bong.

I was mistaking your post as meaning you just set it and forget it.

Just looking out for all of us :)

rod58

gotta say , i love my scotch , but have never had a clear favorite , until now ! i went to a place , Albany , in southern western australia where you would think it'd be the last place to come across a distillerie ..this place has been producing for only ten years and already has a serious reputation ..
bought a bottle of single malt , aged in very old sherry casks ...sublime ! and not cheap ! my missus can tell ya that ...hahaha ..
picture.php

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Glad to see you Krunch!

:friends:

I was just checking out your new still when I was suddenly reminded of Jack Nicholson from Batman.

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Glad to see you Krunch!

I was just checking out your new still when I was suddenly reminded of Jack Nicholson from Batman.

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

Hey Buddy! Nice to see you again! :tiphat:

I really like this unit, this company also has a little mash starter and carbon filtering device...

Does not use water to make vapor. Its a series of coils wrapped around copper and a fan. Not sure how it gets the coil cold...

http://www.amazon.com/Still-Spirits...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Call me a purist... or a well established drunkard who has retained some pretentious habits from growing my own...

and allowed such habits to spill into my distillations.

Stickler or sibylline envoy...?

You decide.

I save my heads for general cleaning and use my tails for washing my bong.

I was mistaking your post as meaning you just set it and forget it.

Just looking out for all of us :)

I mostly set it and forget it with the stripping runs. I collect and remove the foreshots, then the next 6 or 7 quarts are easy. I just change the jar when it gets full.

I make proper cuts doing the spirit run, whether it's with the pot still or reflux still.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
My first still was a pot still.

Reflux stills are a PITA to build but I pulled one out of my ass in college.

Not a bad idea for vodka but I'm really a whiskey kind of guy.

It's still really f'n cool to know you're just getting the best of the best with a reflux.

Then again I still grow in the dirt sometimes, just to keep in touch with our forbears... so a pot still fits that bill as well. :)

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Reflux stills are great for reclaiming ethanol from the heads and tails. They're not just about vodka. Neutral spirit can also be used as a base for schnapps, gin, and absinthe. I've had fantasies about making all three. I might try making my first gin with the next vodka batch.

I was supposed to do that with the vodka batch from a few weeks ago. Then I broke up with my gf and accidently drank it all. Oops.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I understand that the heads and the tails give up some ethanol that could have been cast aside.

You would probably cringe to watch me eat a steak.

I cut way too much meat off avoiding the fat and gristle... I would rather eat just the meat and sacrifice some to make it happen. Never saw a need to go back and trim up the trim.

:dunno:

When my dog was alive she appreciated it. :D

Now that I'm thinking about it she was probably the only other being that understood me.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You'd probably cringe watching me eat a steak. Meat, fat, gristle, it's all part of the steak. It all gets eaten unless it's a t-bone.

Starting a new wash is cheap, but I like the idea of getting the most alcohol possible out of what I fermented. It would be cheap and easy to throw the heads away and get started on the next batch. It's just fun to try to get more out of it.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm quite sure I couldn't watch that. I'll let you cut your heads and tails as much as you want...

Just don't eat the gristle... :biglaugh:

I'm sure you could turn that T bone into jewelry or maybe small tools :)

We get each other I'm sure.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Has to be JAMESON Caskmate or their 12 year old. The 18 year old is also nice but not at the extra $35 to $40 a bottle. Frozen shot glass and one ice cube. Mmmm!

kin_dawg

I think for a straight forward bourbon ya can't beat Jim Beam pretty solid across the line. Elijah Craig 12 year is a top drop for a sweeter bourbon. Buffalo trace is nice. Wild turkey is OK but lacks something for me, and Eagle Rare I wouldn't waste my money on again, the flavor profile to me is boring like thick fudge from start to end.
Straight up no ice!

Latest posts

Latest posts