What's new

Cannabis delivery services flourish

Marijuana delivery services evade bans on dispensaries

A flourishing and unregulated industry of pot delivery services is circumventing bans on storefront dispensaries and bringing medical marijuana directly to people's homes, offices and more unconventional locations across the state, records and interviews show.

The unfettered delivery of marijuana through hundreds of these services highlights how quickly California's pot industry is moving from the shadows and into uncharted legal territory. These new couriers include enterprising farmers, business entrepreneurs and even a former Los Angeles pot dealer methodically switching her former clients to legal patients.

In newspapers and on the Internet, hundreds of "mobile dispensaries" advertise a wide range of strains and other products, such as brownies and cookies laced with THC, the active ingredient in marijuana. One service delivers organic vegetables along with medical marijuana, as part of a "farm-direct" service.

Some operate in multiple counties, including jurisdictions where storefront dispensaries are banned, or make local deliveries to drop-off points, such as Starbucks parking lots and gas stations. At least three ship to clients around the state using private prescription-drug couriers.

Although delivery of medical marijuana is not a new phenomenon, advocates say the growth of these services could be a game-changer in the state's pot war, which pits law enforcement, elected officials and community groups in some localities against dispensary owners and patients.
Advertisement

And these businesses could increase in popularity if voters approve an initiative on the November ballot that would legalize pot possession.

"They're delivering the product better, cheaper, more discretely and probably at a higher profit rate than dispensaries," said Allen St. Pierre, director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, which advocates legalization. "These delivery services are starting to grab more and more market share."
Questions over legality

A question remains on whether these services are legal. Some local and federal officials say delivery services violate the 1996 Compassionate Use Act that legalized medical marijuana in California for qualified patients, as well as other laws. The services are viewed as a way to circumvent local regulations clearly banning dispensaries.

"They're transporting drugs," said Tommy LaNeir, director of the National Marijuana Initiative, which is funded through the White House's drug policy office. "It's a trans-shipment operation that's trying to bypass the ordinances that have been set up by cities and counties. It's as simple as that."

To read this entire story click here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vermonster

you think this is a good way to get herb when traveling? these guys realy check papers? i mean realy? or could i probably convince him i aint no po?

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
you think this is a good way to get herb when traveling? these guys realy check papers? i mean realy? or could i probably convince him i aint no po?

As a Canna club vendor I can tell you that your papers WILL BE CHECKED and scrutinized to the "T". (AND SHOULD BE) Most of these delivery services are legit and plan to stay that way. 99% of the canna clubs I know are not law breakers. They provide a real service to the community.

As a side note:

Your questions and intentions are the exact reason there are so many issues in the minds of the public with Medical Dispensary Clubs already. Its people like you that ABUSE the system and create the problems for the law abiding citizens. If your not from California......don't come here and try to subvert our system that took us decades to achieve.

Sheesh.......Some people......:wallbash:

ashleynix

Thank you ;-)

Thank you ;-)

Pirate;3666878 said:
As a Canna club vendor I can tell you that your papers WILL BE CHECKED and scrutinized to the "T". (AND SHOULD BE) Most of these delivery services are legit and plan to stay that way. 99% of the canna clubs I know are not law breakers. They provide a real service to the community.

As a side note:

Your questions and intentions are the exact reason there are so many issues in the minds of the public with Medical Dispensary Clubs already. Its people like you that ABUSE the system and create the problems for the law abiding citizens. If your not from California......don't come here and try to subvert our system that took us decades to achieve.

Sheesh.......Some people......:wallbash:

Well put I am always amazed at the people who try bend the rules for no reason, leading to eventual end to a very good positive business!!!

zenoonez

Veteran
I am actually surprised that a constitutionalist like Pirate supports obeying flawed laws and even more flawed logic. No offense intended Pirate but it seems a shame that the state closest to re-legalizing our right to use mj is doing so via a slimy sort of route that forces perfectly healthy people to feign illness to be able to regain that right.