What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Yet Another Newly Discovered Form of Plant Communication

dizzlekush

Basically it's plant-to-mycorrhizae-to-plant communication, with the mycorrhizae acting as telephone lines.

Published 4 days ago on May 9th in the scientific journal, Ecology Letters.
Underground signals carried through common mycelial networks warn neighbouring plants of aphid attack
Zdenka Babikova, Lucy Gilbert, Toby J. A. Bruce, Michael Birkett, John C. Caulfield, Christine Woodcock, John A. Pickett, David Johnson

The roots of most land plants are colonised by mycorrhizal fungi that provide mineral nutrients in exchange for carbon. Here, we show that mycorrhizal mycelia can also act as a conduit for signalling between plants, acting as an early warning system for herbivore attack. Insect herbivory causes systemic changes in the production of plant volatiles, particularly methyl salicylate, making bean plants, Vicia faba, repellent to aphids but attractive to aphid enemies such as parasitoids. We demonstrate that these effects can also occur in aphid-free plants but only when they are connected to aphid-infested plants via a common mycorrhizal mycelial network. This underground messaging system allows neighbouring plants to invoke herbivore defences before attack. Our findings demonstrate that common mycorrhizal mycelial networks can determine the outcome of multitrophic interactions by communicating information on herbivore attack between plants, thereby influencing the behaviour of both herbivores and their natural enemies.
We've already known that plants and mycorrhizae talk to each other, and through similar mechanisms plants can talk to seeds. My guess is that the discoveries of plant-to-mycorrhizae-to-seed communication and many other forms of phyto-communication aren't far away.

that is truly amazing man. what implications does this have other than them building up a herbivore defense??

you would know better than i, it seems though that there could be more than just this chatter, maybe more can be done. IDK

Greeco

wow an organic internet!! Very interesting find buddy. I have to come here and check up on your posts haha. I know there is always something intelligent to learn from u. I wonder if they use HTTP protocols hahahaha.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Oh Man!! Whatever you do don't tell it that we perform on a regular basis, abortions, Genocide, inbreeding, forced marraiges, child labour, forced starvations, and general all around imprisonment of it's brothers and sisters as plants.

The Fungi Still rule the earth

Peace

Very Interesting! Thanks for the heads up on the new finding. I guess the mycologist Paul Stametes was correct all along! He's always claimed fungi are the 'brain' or the 'internet' of an ecosystem providing inter-connectivity and multi-directional information flow between various organisms.

S

shokdee

... Paul Stametes was correct all along![/B] He's always claimed fungi are the 'brain' or the 'internet' of an ecosystem providing inter-connectivity and multi-directional information flow between various organisms.
Worth repeating.

Latest posts

Latest posts