What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Would you spray this on your plants

shaggyballs

Veteran
Someone has .....and doesn't know it!!!!!!!!

Benzisothiazolinone

Benzisothiazolinone has a microbicide and a fungicide mode of action.
It is used as a preservative in emulsion paints, varnishes, adhesives, washing agents, fuels and in the papermaking process. In paints, it is commonly used as a mixture with methylisothiazolinone.
Typical concentrations in products are 200–400 ppm depending on the application area and the combination with other biocides. According to a study in Switzerland, 19% of the paints, varnishes and coatings contained BIT in 2000. The fraction in adhesives, sealants, plasters and fillers was 25%.

Health hazards

It is a known human immune system toxicant, and also is classified as irritant for skin, eyes and lungs.
It is widely used as active ingredient of many home cleaning products.

It is currently for sale by some commercial hydroponic company's and stores .........at a rate of <0.04 %.
Thats 400 PPM!
What are we putting in our weed???
I don't want to speak Down about anyone...even big hydro!
If you want more info shoot me a PM...Please don't waste my time.

Tell me what you really think!!!!!!!

...................:laughing:

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Hi Shagyaballs (what a weird nick :thinking: ) EDIT: Sorry, 'Shaggyballs'... still a bizarre nick :D

You (and everyone intending to use chemicals on cannabis plants) should consider a few points:

A: One does not use a preservative on a cannabis plant but a pesticide/biocide
B: One treats comestible goods with it and not an object
C: The pesticide should be suitable for treating the edible part of the plant (it's not like a leaf treatment in spring of apple trees)
D: Most growers will smoke their harvest! NO pesticide has ever been tested for 'smokable toxicity'; just a few (or rather about 200) tobacco additives have been approved for that purpose. Whether or not they've been tested, I don't know; but we all know nowadays how healthy a cigarette is, don't we?

This said, you should know that isothiazolinones are only used at your posted ppm in dyes, glues and alike. In cosmetics it's about 10-20 ppm (and that remains on your skin and doesn't go into your lungs). BTW, they sometimes cause allergies and contact dermatitis. Not the best thing to develop in your alveoles ;) .
Oh, and BIT is NOT approved for cosmetics (at least I don't know of any country that does). As it contains a benzene ring (which makes it more lipophilic than other IT's), I wouldn't smoke it. So, if you really want to use some crappy chemicals on your plants to protect them from whatever, go with MIT (and never use CMIT because of the chlorine -> very bad when burnt). Or use something else instead...

Did I get it right that you want to put that in the water tank to prevent bacteria and algae from growing? Why not a food preservative? They often get well metabolised by the plants and hence 'disappear' from your grow and some are even natural.
True, I have no clue of hydropontic agriculture and don't know what it takes to keep the water clean. I'd go (if that's even possible) with a good biological filter system like those used in aquaria. Maybe even with some fish or sweet water shrimps; they are a very good indicator for water purity and quality. And I'd add turf and/or alder cones; the contained polyphenols are good natural preservatives and natural buffers for the slightly acidic, cannabis friendly pH range. Regulating also the light in the water can reduce algae from growing without the use of chemicals.

All the isothiazolinones (and other biocides like tributy tin) messed up quite a bit of the marine ecosystem. Why would I put that on my garden plants? You want to consume chemicals with unknown side effects, why don't you flip designer drugs?

shaggyballs

Veteran
Hi Shagyaballs (what a weird nick :thinking: )

The screen name shaggy 1-2-3-4-5 ECT. is always gone.
I use to be a pro paintball player ESPN and stuff!
Really good Paintball players are referred to as Ballers.
So one would say:
What do you know about that shaggy guy?

That guy shaggy , Balls!
That is how shaggyballs was born!!!
I gave my email address to a church lady.
Now that was ackward!

Did I get it right that you want to put that in the water tank to prevent bacteria and algae from growing? Why not a food preservative? They often get well metabolised by the plants and hence 'disappear' from your grow and some are even natural.
True, I have no clue of hydropontic agriculture and don't know what it takes to keep the water clean. I'd go (if that's even possible) with a good biological filter system like those used in aquaria. Maybe even with some fish or sweet water shrimps; they are a very good indicator for water purity and quality. And I'd add turf and/or alder cones; the contained polyphenols are good natural preservatives and natural buffers for the slightly acidic, cannabis friendly pH range. Regulating also the light in the water can reduce algae from growing without the use of chemicals.

I am trying to find a preservative compatible with cannabis and in the correct PH range.
Sodium Benzoate seems not very effective at the Ph ranges needed.
For concentrated stock solutions....DIY clone gel ect.

Thank you very much for your rely!
Great info!!
You are a wise man.
I am in agreement with what you stated.
Shag

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why not a uv light sterilizer for an aquarium? Then no need to worry about ph maybe.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Where are all the long winded people?LOL
Any idea's on a alternative for a preservative?

WTF are you doing to your cannabis that you need a preservative? Properly dried and placed in a mason jar and you're good for decades.

Properly turned in to GrayWolf style winterized oil and you're good for centuries.

No need to add any preservatives.

:joint:

shaggyballs

Veteran
Ok what I am trying to say is:

And sorry for the confusion ..by the way.

It is currently for sale by some commercial hydroponic stores.
You may be using it or know someone who is.
You may be smoking it right now!
I was using it and didn't even know it.
Are you sure?

Thats why I think we need a better alternative!!

shag[B said:
I am trying to find a preservative compatible with cannabis and in the correct PH range.
Sodium Benzoate seems not very effective at the Ph ranges needed.
For concentrated stock solutions....DIY clone gel ect.
[/B]

Thanks for all your input.
Shag

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Ok what I am trying to say is:

And sorry for the confusion ..by the way.

It is currently for sale by some commercial hydroponic stores.
You may be using it or know someone who is.
You may be smoking it right now!
I was using it and didn't even know it.
Are you sure?

Thats why I think we need a better alternative!!

Thanks for all your input.
Shag

Uhhhh there are shit tons of shit for sale..... How do I know it is not on the shit I smoke???? I grow my own and don't use the bottle of the month club.

Tell me how were you using IT with out knowledge, and how did you come to the knowledge that you were using IT?

shaggyballs

Veteran
Uhhhh there are shit tons of shit for sale..... How do I know it is not on the shit I smoke???? I grow my own and don't use the bottle of the month club.

Tell me how were you using IT with out knowledge, and how did you come to the knowledge that you were using IT?

I was using some stuff out of a bottle.
I read the label but I had no idea what was really in there!

I then found out what was in the bottle.
Then I came to the knowledge that I was using it.

If you use anything out of a bottle you cannot really be sure unless you have it tested.

shaggyballs

Veteran
OO recomended:
preservatives like a mixture of methyl- and propylparabene
imgf000017_0001.png

38885-tbl1-zoom.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Propyl-Para...478?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc2bc561e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Methyl-Para...767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccf94b777