What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Will 24 hours of darkness suffice?

Oreganic

Just wondering, cause I have a lot of plants coming down at different times, and I want to get as much dried by 420 as possible.. SO.

With that said - I have one of 5 girls that has been sleeping for 24 hours of darkness [actually 26 now] and the rest are finishing. Would it honestly make any difference to just chop that first plant tonight so that I can move another girl over to the dark closet? [Theres only room for one plant in the sark area anyway] Does the complete 48 hours of darkness make a difference, I mean I know that some people don't even do the 48 hours of darkness and are completely satisfied..

I am just a man with high herb standards, and really want to do everything in my power to maintain the amazing smell and potential taste that these buds have. I'll let it rest the extra day if you all think its crucial... what do you think?? Thanks in advance!!

-0r.

Oreganic

Awe fuck it...

She's goin doooooooooooooooown!! J'all be snoozin, so I hope I ain't losin'! :confused:

-0r...

[hands up if you care about harvest pics..]

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
48 hours of darkness has been tested repeatedly, and makes no difference.

Chop away, and enjoy that sweet harvest!

G

what would u say is the min darkness period they need nite tiger? i am in a similar situation to oreganic many thx
lets see a pic of ur girls oreganic

G

I tried various darkness things - doesnt seem to make a diff.

A solid flush does though.

How long you flush?

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
I don't know if trichomes grow in the dark or not 4iiii'z, I haven't seen any conclusive scientific evidence neither for nor against. Although, it is generally accepted that the more days of sunlight the capitate-stalked glandular trichomes' resin spheres accumulate the more potent the THC will be. The trichome resin sphere act as a lens to energize the phytochemical process that makes THC, so let's just say THC production is related to light rather than darkness. The problem is, light and heat also degrade the THC molecule - which is probably why the THC production increases during long light hours. The THC is part of a sort of sunblock, either as an active ingredient or as a secondary product, an increase in production serves to compensate for this degradation. The idea behind the 24-48 hour dark period before harvest stipulates that THC production is in running mode and will continue even if lights are out during a day or two, but the degrading factor of the light is no longer there and results in an increase in THC levels. There exists today - to my knowledge - no evidence for this. I've even heard that a test performed by Advanced Nutrients showed the dark period before harvest actually lowered THC levels, but I have not been able to find this test so it's only hearsay for now. I've tried the dark period before harvest myself and cannot say if it made any difference potency-wise, but the dark period seems to give the trichomes an extra lustre, so perhaps the whole thing started from there.

G

im on day 44 flower i would say my trichs are 50% clear, 35%cloudy and 15% amber, i want a stone rather than a high so i want my trichs 70/30 amber/cloudy. they had a feed friday so be due their next tues/weds do u think i should start to flush then? as trichs will still develop when being flushed

senseless

when i flush i plan to do it two weeks before harvest. ive smoked the same weed, flushed for 2 weeks and unflushed and the flushed stuff was a way more clean smoke.

Oreganic

Ask and ye shall recieve.. heres the three that have been chopped thus far.. There are two "Pot Of Sand" plants and a "Sweetlight", I'll get some better shots as they dry, but here are a few quickies for ya.. Sweetlight, than the two POSs after that..

-0r.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts