What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Why Police Are Good at Pot Arrests and Awful at Keeping Women from Gettting Murdered

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Found on Fark:

On February 18, 26-year-old Houston resident Takita Mathieu was shot dead by her ex-boyfriend at her place of work. He attempted, and failed, suicide just after.

The murder, horrendous as it is, was not a surprise. Mathieu had reported her ex’s threats to the police 140 times after she ended the relationship, but police did nothing.

Tragic stories like this are common throughout America and highlight many of the most despicable features of our law enforcement system. While officers are expert at jailing minorities for possessing marijuana, they rarely seem to muster a sympathetic or helpful response to domestic violence victims when they, their neighbors and loved ones, reach out for help.

Many pundits, feminists among them, have argued that if only police were better-trained and better-funded they would produce “acceptable” responses to this violence. But more money is being allocated to police departments for the purpose of handling domestic violence than ever before, but it’s being shunted toward initiatives that prioritize arrests (including arresting survivors), over healing and protection.

“I think there’s actually a significant amount of money that is allocated for policing domestic and sexual violence because of the Violence against Women Act,” says Alisa Bierra, a member of INCITE! and Free Marissa Now.

“The problem is that survivors are sometimes criminalized through policing supported by those funding sources, as well as policing supported by drug war resources,” says Bierra. “I don’t think the answer is to shift the attention of police from their destructive response in the so-called war on drugs to increasing their destructive response to gender violence.”

Read More:
http://www.alternet.org/why-police-...ers-and-so-bad-keeping-women-getting-murdered

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the read.

Interesting article for sure.

I'm thinking Ty Black has the right idea.

candyjack

there is no money to be made with murder, that's why pigs always go after drug charges, civil forfeiture laws are a b!tch...

what a scam.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
there is no money to be made with murder, that's why pigs always go after drug charges, civil forfeiture laws are a b!tch...

what a scam.

yeah, honest to God criminals are dangerous! they don't want fuck to do with them...easier to toss a flash-bang in some potheads door & crash in with the SWAT team with the cameras rolling and look "tough on crime"... fucking pricks.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch

what a scam.

yeah, honest to God criminals are dangerous! they don't want fuck to do with them...easier to toss a flash-bang in some potheads door & crash in with the SWAT team with the cameras rolling and look "tough on crime"... fucking pricks.

2 comments in a row that exactly mirror my feelings about this

Cops may be lazy, racist, misogynist and cowardly - but they aren't stupid. Violent criminals or threats against people might involve violence against THEM. Kicking in a potheads door is way down on the "I might get hurt" scale, but the glory of being a "drug warrior" is huge. A cop goes out of his/her way to harass relatively harmless citizens, but runs like a fucking coward when that citizen might actually kick their ass.

Sad

SKUNK420

what a bunch of worthless comments
cops only want money etc. B.S. talk
same old $h!t different day

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“The problem is that survivors are sometimes criminalized through policing supported by those funding sources, as well as policing supported by drug war resources,” says Bierra. “I don’t think the answer is to shift the attention of police from their destructive response in the so-called war on drugs to increasing their destructive response to gender violence.”[/FONT]

well since cops are always over reacting or under reacting ([FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]destructive response )[/FONT] why not have ACLU LAWYERS handle all law enforcement duties for the country so no person's civil rights will ever be violated.

W

WeetisPotPie

Good article Boyd. You can tell who actually took the time to read it and who just took the time to react to the title and the comments.

I don't think it's the fear so much of confronting violent criminals like murders. Maybe that is more so for taking violent gangs or groups. I do think it's monetary, murder, rape and other crimes actually cost money to investigate and prosecute. While drug arrests rarely involve victims and almost always involve some kind assets that can be seized. Then there is the whole legal system mess, another issue that can involve massive costs.

floralheart

Veteran
Good article Boyd. You can tell who actually took the time to read it and who just took the time to react to the title and the comments.

I don't think it's the fear so much of confronting violent criminals like murders. Maybe that is more so for taking violent gangs or groups. I do think it's monetary, murder, rape and other crimes actually cost money to investigate and prosecute. While drug arrests rarely involve victims and almost always involve some kind assets that can be seized. Then there is the whole legal system mess, another issue that can involve massive costs.

I've lived it. I don't need to read the article.

Latest posts

Latest posts