What's new

When to plant outdoors?

gonzo`

I've never done and outdoor, but look really forward to doing it. I want monsters :p so I plan on vegging inside for a while and then translpanting outside. What month should I plant outdoors? I'd really appreciate any help as most of the info out there is about northern hemisphere. Cheers guys!

Ponder

Plant out in late August early September but be careful about frost if you live inland.If your along the coast then frost is no problem.

gonzo`

Hey thanks Ponder! How long will they take if I put them out then? There isn't 18 hours of light, more like 10-14.. will they start budding straight away?

Yes they will start budding straight away. Think of it like 12/12 from seed.

If you want a winter grow, you will have a bunch of minis.
Less, bigger plants in summer. More, smaller ones in winter.

Hope this helps:joint:

gonzo`

Hey African herbman, thanks!! One thing i'm worried about is pollination of my crop... do you think that will happen? I think there are some wild plants growing in my area so is it quite probable?

Unfortunately yes.
As I'm sure you've noticed, there's a lot of stuff just growing in the velds wild. The males will get big and without anyone to kill them just pump the pollen out. I'm seeing lots of brown hairs and swollen calyxes on my outdoor girls.
It's hard to avoid in SA.

Something I do on my small plants is I wait until a calyx is swelling with an unwanted seed then stab into the seed through the calyx with a pin. It kills the seed so it won't mature but the calyx will die or you'll get a dead shriveled seed.

But the good news is as winter moves in and the rain stops, the males will die down leaving you with nice seedless winter minis.

Hope this helps, and good luck this winter.

TheHashAssassin

Another little trick for you guys that I was shown awhile ago for aborting seeds is water with ice cold water. make sure its ice ice ice cold, and the shock will cuase them to abort seeds. hope that helps for you guys outside there, I know it worked inside for me before.

gonzo`

Another little trick for you guys that I was shown awhile ago for aborting seeds is water with ice cold water. make sure its ice ice ice cold, and the shock will cuase them to abort seeds. hope that helps for you guys outside there, I know it worked inside for me before.

Nice tip buddy! Will give it a go.

African herbman, that sucks man!!! I have been dreaming of monster sensi buds!! Is it like this all over the country or just in certain places?

ZaGrowerPh

I've got 2 female plants growing outdoor. One is 2.5 and the other is 1.5 meters tall(roughly)
Winter's comin in cold and wanted to know if the plants will die? or if i should let them grow through the winter?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Let them grow through winter bro. They'll be fine, just don't let the frost get them. They may get a little stunted during extreme cold snaps but they'll come right as it warms a little. You can get some nice colours from the cold.

Hope it helps, Ah