What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Wha....!?!?! Mangoes increase the high...?

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Why growing numbers of pot smokers eat mango before lighting up

It’s not a proven scientific fact, but many pot smokers are consuming mangoes an hour before lighting up to boost their highs. According to Marijuana.com, there’s a good chance that the myrcene molecules found in mango can possibly “increase, strengthen and even lengthen” the euphoric feeling from smoking marijuana.

Marijuana already contains more than 100 terpene molecules that are responsible for affecting THC in the brain and giving highs their ebbs and flows. But marijuana contains the myrcene terpene more than any other kind. So, if you eat a mango rich in myrcenes, you can potentially improve the high for low-quality buds or give a high-quality bud a little extra. As for how myrcene and terpene work, the research is still in its infancy.

“I don’t know the answer and the reason we don’t know the answer is because our government in its infinite wisdom didn’t permit any research in this area for many years,” said Christopher Hudalla, chief scientific officer at ProVerde Labs. “In many cases we are just starting to do this research.”

Myrcene is responsible for the aromas of apricots, walnuts and Valencia oranges and is widely used in the perfume industry. It gets its name from the plant mercia and is also found in lemon grass, verbena, hops and the West Indian bay tree used to make bay rum. Its aroma is much like cannabis as it can be woodsy, citrusy and fruity.

But one of its lesser-known qualities is that the myrcene allows THC to pass through the blood brain barrier much faster. On average, it takes THC seven seconds to reach the brain after inhaling. But if you eat a mango — or a mango smoothie — 90 minutes before smoking, you could potentially halve that time.

The “Big Book of Buds” notes that the Cavalo, Rosa, Espada and Paulista variety of mangoes are excellent sources of myrcene.

Before you pop a giant mango in your mouth, you’ll still want to adjust the timing because a slower metabolism can take longer to digest the mango, affecting how long it’ll take to feel any improvements to your high.

If you want to get the full effect of marijuana’s terpenes, you’ll also want to take a few deep breaths and inhale the aromas of your bud before you smoke. You can do this by breaking or chopping up the buds (purists may say otherwise to chopping up the bud) and then inhaling deeply through your nose.

Eating the mango will naturally boost the levels of terpenes and boost the high, but there’s another benefit to mangoes. Not only are they high in myrcene terpene, they also are high in vitamins C, A and dietary fiber which is a great way to counter the junk-food munchies.

H

hello/Banana

i read green tea too, dunno if they work,

eating a nice juicy mango when baked is a pretty enjoyable activity though !!!

getting it everywhere

vostok

Veteran
Impressive for a member to write this himself, or did you steal it...link please!

...as there is very little in your post that everyone here didn't already know?

H

hello/Banana

i remember coming across some obscure website about people testing terpene extract (as in "not recommended to do so") and suggesting that they produced "psychadelic like" effect, without obviously being "psychoactive" (???), although i can't find it again

please can anyone direct me to info regarding the above - VERY interesting ?.

--------------

- it's hard referencing them all but here is a list for medical application

from - http://www.marijuanagrowershq.com/decarboxylating-cannabis-turning-thca-into-thc/

Terpenoid Essential Oil Components of Cannabis

β-Myrcene
Boiling point: 166-168°C / 330.8-334.4° Fahrenheit
Properties: Analgesic. Anti Inflammatory, Antibiotic, Antimutagenic
β-Caryophyllene
Boiling point: 119°C / 246.2° Fahrenheit
Properties: Anti Inflammatory, Cytoprotective (gastric mucosa), Antimalarial
d-Limonene
Boiling point: 177°C / 350.6° Fahrenheit
Properties: Cannabinoid agonist?, Immune potentiator, Antidepressant, Antimutagenic
Linalool
Boiling point: 198°C / 388.4° Fahrenheit
Properties: Sedative, Antidepressant, Anxiolytic, Immune potentiator
Pulegone
Boiling point: 224°C / 435.2° Fahrenheit
Properties: Memory booster?, AChE inhibitor, Sedative, Antipyretic
1,8-Cineole (Eucalyptol)
Boiling point: 176°C / 348.8° Fahrenheit
Properties: AChE inhibitor, Increases cerebral, blood flow, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Anti Inflammatory, Antinociceptive
α-Pinene
Boiling point: 156°C / 312.8° Fahrenheit
Properties: Anti Inflammatory, Bronchodilator, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antineoplastic, AChE inhibitor
α-Terpineol
Boiling point: 217-218°C / 422.6-424.4° Fahrenheit
Properties: Sedative, Antibiotic, AChE inhibitor, Antioxidant, Antimalarial
Terpineol-4-ol
Boiling point: 209°C / 408.2° Fahrenheit
Properties: AChE inhibitor. Antibiotic
p-Cymene
Boiling point: 177°C / 350.6° Fahrenheit
Properties: Antibiotic, Anticandidal, AChE inhibitor
Borneol
Boiling point: 210°C / 410° Fahrenheit
Properties: Antibiotic
Δ-3-Carene
Boiling point: 168*C / 334.4° Fahrenheit
Properties: Anti Inflammatory
Flavonoid and Phytosterol Components of Cannabis

Apigenin
Boiling point: 178°C / 352.4° Fahrenheit
Properties: Anxiolytic, Anti Inflammatory, Estrogenic
Quercetin
Boiling point: 250°C / 482° Fahrenheit
Properties: Antioxidant, Antimutagenic, Antiviral, Antineoplastic
Cannflavin A
Boiling point: 182°C / 359.6° Fahrenheit
Properties: COX inhibitor, LO inhibitor
β-Sitosterol
Boiling point: 134°C / 273.2° Fahrenheit
Properties: Anti Inflammatory, 5-α-reductase, inhibitor

Last edited:

stasis

Veteran
Wow, I eat mangoes, and never realized this. Claims also exist that chocolate can extend the cannabis high.

Yeah, Man, I stole it. Sue Me. Google it yourself. You're welcome.

WelderDan

Veteran
I would not be surprised if this is true. Certain foods and drugs can potentiate the effect of other drugs. For example, Grapefruit potentiates the effects of benzodiazepines. So does some beta blockers.

Or, more simply put, Grapefruit intensifies and prolongs the effect of Xanax and Valium.

I don't see why certain foods would not do the same for cannabis.

Skip

Veteran
I found the best thing to drink, both before and after smoking cannabis is Mango Juice. So this makes sense, not for the high, but because it has a lot of sugar which can prevent people from passing out, AND it coats your throat really well, letting you take a bigger hit, which may be why you get higher.

When I lived in Holland I would always order a Looza Mango Juice to drink while smoking. Those went down like silky nectar and cooled and soothed my throat.

Now I get something similar in cartons (from South Africa) at World Market. They also sell a combo fruit drink with mango juice and paypaya and others.

Mangoes are high in electrolites, sugar and other trace nutrients that pot smokers can use (in moderation!)

Here's a great page with info about the nutrition in mangoes.
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/minerals-mangos-have-1747.html

stasis

Veteran
Confusing, as I was told that by Budtenders in Ams Coffeeshops, to feed Tourists who go "Whitey" a glass of Orange Juice.. And I too, Skip enjoyed the Antioxidant (fake vitamins added) Looza juice in C'shops, Or Chamomile tea.

H

hello/Banana

i think they just give you something sweet and orange juice is commonly served.

- also though, on terpenes -

straight THC is supposed to be pretty morbid a experience (???) :

(youtube video of lady being administered THC )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8XARojnbM

(not wanting to draw attention to the CBD bit, and they are a bit naive with terminology)

"blah blah blah"

and long read follows:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3165946/

-------------

i wonder if you "take some thc (and nothing else) from hemp" and compare it to "some thc from an equatorial sativa" -

you can tell a difference (relatively speaking) ???.

Last edited:

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Fruits and juices are good becasue getting baked can decrease your blood pressure and blood sugar levels. Helps against fainting, also explains the munchies. Don't gorge yourself, just drink some juice or eat an apple!!

sprinkl

Veteran
If you want to get the full effect of marijuana’s terpenes, you’ll also want to take a few deep breaths and inhale the aromas of your bud before you smoke. You can do this by breaking or chopping up the buds (purists may say otherwise to chopping up the bud) and then inhaling deeply through your nose.

This I found most interesting. Could this be why I'm always smelling my ground up weed before rolling, even though I rolled 100's of joints from that plant already?

I would be more inclined to play around with food grade terps that Greywolf has mentioned in the past...

I don't even buy fabricated food that says "added aroma's". Let alone ingest pure terps, food grade or not. For research, great. For personal use/experiments, do use caution...

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Wow, I eat mangoes, and never realized this. Claims also exist that chocolate can extend the cannabis high.

Just had a mango smoothie, but chocolate too?? I wouldn't have noticed because I've never had cannabis without chocolate.

graham12

The only thing iv found that can increase the high is a better product or a break from cannabis. I tried eating a mango and noticed nothing. I live a very active lifestyle, eat a very healthy diet, and take regular saunas and steam rooms. The best highs I get are when i don't smoke all the time and use a great product. Its shit smoking weed all the time.It makes the high boring and bland no matter how good the product is. Moderation is the best way to increase the high for recreation.

stasis

Veteran
Funny, Thule... I find myself eating chocolate at the end of the night, after cannabis no longer has a strong effect.

Graham, although Moderation is a lofty goal, and abstaining DOES increase the high. I simply keep either a variety of buds, or more likely - flower, bubble hash, jelly hash, and concentrate. As well as eating trichs occasionally - for a heavier buzz. The variety of forms keeps it interesting.

Life in this beautiful but figgity figgity fucked up PTSD country is too stimulating, and disturbing for me without cannabis and strenuous workouts on a regular basis. Just admitting it.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
I used to take Oral Steroids with Grapefruit Juice.... Helps with methylated compounds to be absorbed into your blood stream more efficiently

stasis

Veteran
Makes sense, SS. Something odd about Grapefruit Juice. I don't know the chemistry, but People on Beta Channel Blockers (and there are millions upon millions) are advised to avoid GF juice.

Latest posts

Latest posts