What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Weird happenings

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Basically something strange has happened.. I have a few mother plants that were showing signs of being root bound in their 1.6ltr pots so I decided to pot them on. They were receiving 24 hours light from 100w PL style lamp and have for over a decade. So I decide that it was time for a re-pot so I take 4 mothers out the tent and put them into a room for the remainder of the day.

I go tot them last night to pot them on and there is a branch on each mother that has started to flower...

This is some voodoo shit right here...

I potted the plants on and got them straight under a bigger lamp.. I'll go get some pictures and report back.

Anyone ever experienced this before..

These plants never have differentiated into flower so fast,, and never because of being root bound as they are often in that environment..

Did I just discover some secret anomaly or have I just witnessed some voodoo magic...

As far as I am aware the plants have had no dark periods,, they had a vast change in temperature and the light went from white daylight to HPS for about 10 hours..... I'm baffled :crazy:

Hard to give a definitive answer, but the most likely explanations are:

1. Shift in amount/duration of far red light received. (HPS put out a good amount of far red light constantly, while sunlight is generally more far red in the morning and evening than during the rest of the day relative to total light).
2. Stress (most commonly water stress as happens when plants get root-bound).

Daub Marley

There are many factors that influence flowering besides just photo-period. The plant must flower at some point and the older it gets the more sensitive to other factors it becomes and the quicker the onset of flowering. There are also some important things that happen in the dark, and I believe it is important for plant health to receive some time in the dark, but it probably doesn't have anything to do with your flowering. You did this for over a decade without any ill effects?