What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Washington's first pot auction brings in $600,000

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PROSSER, Wash. (AP) — Washington state's first marijuana auction brought in about $600,000.

Fireweed Farms of Prosser sold about 300 pounds of pot to state-licensed processors and retailers Saturday, the Tri-City Herald reported (http://is.gd/JsJp6T ). Bidding took place under a black tent fronted by tall heaters, and the event was monitored by at least two representatives of the Washington Liquor Control Board. Bidders could smell plastic bags of buds before offering a bid.
The marijuana was planted in May and harvested between late September and mid-October. Fireweed Farms owner Randy Williams had sold some of his marijuana to recreational processors earlier this year, but the auction represented the bulk of his harvest.
He said he held the auction to "get rid of it all quick" so he could spend time with his grandson instead of packaging marijuana. The harvested and dried marijuana was priced by the gram and auctioned by the strain in lots ranging from about half a pound to five pounds.
Williams said he planned to donate proceeds from three lots, totaling $14,000, to local schools.
Lt. Jeremy Wissing, an officer with the state Liquor Control Board who monitored a portion of Saturday's auction, said it appeared to be well run.
"I'm seeing a well-organized event," Wissing said outside the Fireweed Farms grow area. "It isn't a circus. I'm not seeing open consumption of marijuana."
Williams initially hoped to make $1 million through the marijuana fire sale, but said during the auction that he'd be happy with $600,000 or $700,000.
The purchased marijuana was to remain under video-monitored quarantine at Fireweed Farms overnight Saturday, Wissing said. Buyers could either retrieve their marijuana Sunday or arrange for it to be delivered to their business by Williams.
Although Saturday's auction was the state's first, Wissing doesn't expect it to be the last.
"It's just a different way of moving his product," Wissing said.
Interest in the marijuana auction was so intense that Williams commissioned the use of a parking lot across the street from his property to accommodate the visitors.
Buyers were provided with a detailed list of strains and lot sizes that provided a complete potency profile, labeling requirements and the date the batch was tested by Confidence Analytics, a state-certified laboratory. The auction attracted about three dozen potential buyers from across the state.
Nazareth Victoria, a 50-year-old licensed marijuana processor from Seattle, left empty-handed. He came because he was interested in seeing what was available, but ultimately wasn't sure about the quality, he said.
"I was just interested in the whole process," Victoria said. "To me, smoking the product is the ultimate test to tell you the quality."
Sampling the product was strictly forbidden Saturday.
"This is a controlled business environment," Wissing said.
___
Information from: Tri-City Herald, http://www.tri-cityherald.com
http://news.yahoo.com/washingtons-first-pot-auction-brings-600-000-002038340.html

Allendawg

2k in WA & 2k in CO? MJ goes for $1,200 in Cali demonstrates how nieve MJ growers are in CALI! I guess Cali growers have low confidence knowing their bud had/has Broad mites &/or russet mites! Peeps the worst in Cali is close to the best in WA & CO! If u have pest & disease free from Cali nothing is equal unless it's from HI or Rasta land! (There may be a few other places but Not much compares to Cali!

HERBaceous

:laughing:
2k in WA & 2k in CO? MJ goes for $1,200 in Cali demonstrates how nieve MJ growers are in CALI! I guess Cali growers have low confidence knowing their bud had/has Broad mites &/or russet mites! Peeps the worst in Cali is close to the best in WA & CO! If u have pest & disease free from Cali nothing is equal unless it's from HI or Rasta land! (There may be a few other places but Not much compares to Cali!

:laughing: hah whatever bro Cali is not the only place putting out great herb thats like your opinion man

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
theres great weed everywhere...cali has just been in the game longer and due to med mj has thrived openly unlike other states...I can go to several states and score weed as good or better than cali....depends who you know.. I been in cali for 19 years now off and on.....priced by the gram??? really??? what a total joke.... the legal market will never overcome the black market.. due to greed and taxes....

Jhhnn

Veteran
Man admit not knowing own business
quality only fully known after sample. no paper test say "fire" rating

The quote is from Wissing of the liquor control board, not the grower. He knows nothing about cannabis. Zero, zip, nada. He's a bureaucrat with an official stick way up his ass. You're right to some degree or another wrt quality. The head test is the only true test. OTOH, product having solid numbers won't be bunk, either. These people aren't buying weed to smoke it but rather to sell it, so they have different parameters. Given the ongoing scarcity of retail weed in WA, they'll probably do fine. Williams, the grower, looks to have done very well for himself.

The objective of legalization is to normalize cannabis use, to integrate that with the legal system & American Society in general. 30 years ago, the idea that there would be a cannabis auction overseen by state officials would have been fantasy. What we're experiencing is a radical shift from underground to above ground, a whole new way of doing things & attitudes to match. That's not just for everybody else, but for cannabiphiles as well.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
.....priced by the gram??? really??? what a total joke.... the legal market will never overcome the black market.. due to greed and taxes....

I'm sure that they weren't priced retail, but bulk gram prices. Makes it easier for the suits to figure their profit margins, though :biggrin:

mk6

he'd be happy with $600,000 or $700,000.
Ya who wouldnt be? can we say.... fkn PAAAAYDAY :)

POLLEN DRONES?

The cops gonna pollinate the crops with drones or what? The mexican mafia? The other growers?

I guess it's airtight glasshouse time?

fuckin lmao. I've heard from others that based on pics it looked like the crop was ridden with PM. And based on the video I looked at it looked like some mids at BEST. And when the people went up to view it they had someone else holding the bag open, and they could smell it but it didn't look like they were even allowed to take nugs out and crack em open. Can't even sample it beforehand? What a fuckin joke.

How ironic would it be if all the people who bought it at the auction then had it tested after and it all failed and couldn't hit the market.

WA sure has fuked this up so far. Hopefully when more of the indoor hits the market it will start to balance out.

rastas

The objective of legalization is to normalize cannabis use, to integrate that with the legal system & American Society in general. 30 years ago, the idea that there would be a cannabis auction overseen by state officials would have been fantasy. What we're experiencing is a radical shift from underground to above ground, a whole new way of doing things & attitudes to match. That's not just for everybody else, but for cannabiphiles as well.

AGREED.

From a buyers perspective, I too would have wanted to take nugs out and crack them open to see the true quality, or even better, to roll one of my own and head test it under the tent.. But, in any case, this is a STEP FORWARD.

Some lucky bastardo just made 600,000 dollares from sensi totally legit.. I wish we all would have this opportunity.

Jhhnn

Veteran
fuckin lmao. I've heard from others that based on pics it looked like the crop was ridden with PM. And based on the video I looked at it looked like some mids at BEST. And when the people went up to view it they had someone else holding the bag open, and they could smell it but it didn't look like they were even allowed to take nugs out and crack em open. Can't even sample it beforehand? What a fuckin joke.

How ironic would it be if all the people who bought it at the auction then had it tested after and it all failed and couldn't hit the market.

WA sure has fuked this up so far. Hopefully when more of the indoor hits the market it will start to balance out.

So much negativity.