What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Wash your weed, says Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department

Wash your weed, says Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 100.0%

• Total voters
R

Robrites

Wash your weed.
That’s the message coming from the Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department after it removed 20,000 marijuana plants from a grow near the San Joaquin River earlier this week.
The area near the grow contained several “toxic chemicals, insecticides and pesticides,” according to a news release from the agency’s Patterson station.
Among the chemicals found on the weed was carbofuran, a common insecticide that can cause adverse health effects in humans. According to pesticideinfo.org, the pesticide can cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and blurred vision among other affects. The most severe effects include seizures or falling into coma.
The sheriff’s department said carbofuran is used to kill hyenas and lions in Africa.
The agency assisted the California Department of Fish and Wildlife in eradicating the marijuana. Five people were arrested.
“We encourage everyone not to ingest Marijuana,” the news release stated. “If you choose to break the law and put yourself in danger, please at least wash the Marijuana before using it.”
According to a story on Alternet.com, it is actually difficult to wash a pesticide from a marijuana plant without ruining the bud. Some, though, say it is possible.
As more states move to legalize marijuana, the issue of pesticide regulation on the plants is a hot-button issue.
http://www.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article78747277.html

mufinman

I voted no but grow indoors in a very controlled environment. OTOH, if I grew outdoors, I would wash them down before drying, not wanting to inhale fly, bee, bug or bird shit, as well as toxic shit in the air..

OTOOH, been puffin brick weed for years in my past. they don't wash it I bet.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, in that area of the Produce Belt....I'd definitely wash. Can only imagine the toxins sprayed to keep perfect produce looking appetizing for fruits/veggies. However, growing outside, we do spray water on our plants during heat spells to rinse off dust and other particles.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

I had a little problem with spider mites.

I did a dip in a tank of Safer's but forgot to follow up with the second dip.

Got out of hand, didn't want to spray as the plants got closer to finish.

Bought 1500 lady-bugs ... released some in veg, some in a 12/12 area with a few last minute plants, and the rest in the area where the plants were hang drying.

Don't know if I'll be washing the spider mites - but I could be smoking a few !

Snap Crackle Pop Buzz. :woohoo:

FoothillFarming

Did you guys know, 95% of of all apples in the USA have significant levels of pesticides on them when they reach the consumer?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
My fertilizer is not organic, but any treatments are completely non toxic. Outdoors pests are a major problem.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My fertilizer is not organic, but any treatments are completely non toxic. Outdoors pests are a major problem.

Indeed!!! Just don't bring outdoor pots inside....learned that the hard way years ago! ;o)

F. Dupp

Veteran
"If you use or are in possession of any cannabis, please bring it in to the Sheriffs Office to have it tested for chemical contamination. Thanks, Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department"

Durrr...

Loc Dog

Veteran
"If you use or are in possession of any cannabis, please bring it in to the Sheriffs Office to have it tested for chemical contamination. Thanks, Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department"

Durrr...

You must know there were people stupid enough to do it.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Indeed!!! Just don't bring outdoor pots inside....learned that the hard way years ago! ;o)

I got screwed with Thrips and spider mites doing exactly that. Wasn't ready for them, so figured throw them outside for a few weeks. Lost entire grow, and next generation was sick from them.

jump /injack

Veteran
If its just yourself do the "Water Cure" that will get rid of the fly larva, dead bugs, dirt and the chlorophyll and the water soluble insect repellant. You lose from what I've read about 15% of the weight but its a more compact product, the weed is pretty bland but if you have lung problems its the way to go and you can always put flavoring back in that you've made. No lung busting coughing and most people want the high and medicinal aspects of cannabis anyway.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lady bugs may not eat spider mites but the larvae do... & they're voracious!

The folks caught growing that bud should be put on trial for attempted mass murder.