What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Vegetative light cycles effect of flowering phenotypes

pinkus

Veteran
I've often wondered about vegetative lighting's effect on plant health. I also often pull a timer from veg to use anywhere else that needs it. As we all know, they do pretty well under 24/0. My preferred schedule is usually 18/6 as it seems moderate and keeps all but autos out of flowering.

I do however run mostly sativa heavy strains, with a few as pure as you can find. In other words, my plants generally face a pretty severe whiplash light wise at the flip, going from a cycle mimicking a northern (or southern) light cycle to an equatorial one.

So the first question is does the initial lighting regimen keep me from seeing phenotypes I would see if I ran say 14/10 or 13/11 through my veg phase?

Thanks ya'll

pinkus

Veteran
uuuuuuuuuuuhhhh.. bump

Come on, I know there are DJS groupies out there that bother to run 13/11 or 12.5/11.5 or 14/10... or SamS tell me why the hell I shouldn't bother...

come on peeps... Show me the knowledge. :biggrin:

Snype

Veteran
I never thought about this topic from a VEG standpoint but I see differences in phenotypic expression with different flowering schedules.

mrrangz

pinkus, i dont have much info on this topic but i think researching "gas lantern method" might get you the answer your looking for.

pinkus

Veteran
Thanks people :). I'm looking into the gas light technique... I'm old enough to remember what "gas lighting" someone was too lol, but I'll check it out.

I'll likely continue the way I have, just altering veg lighting in anyway possible to keep the flower area full. I posted the question because in another thread someone was bringing up variations in flowering phenotypes caused by vegetative lighting schedules, but the focus of the thread was how to raise a "landrace" sativa.

I'm dubious as to veg schedule changing flowering phenotypes, but figured SOMEONE would have done side by sides, or is just so sure of their logic that they would give me what they think is a definitive answer.

Thanks again :tiphat: